Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks
    Viatrix,

Good effort!!

A lot of the values are lost in the first one. You have included a lot of blacks which weren't in the original. Also there is like a curve in the shield which Conan is carrying which seems to be lost in the study.

In the second one, there seems to be couple of areas where darker values are lost; like in her hair behind her neck area and in the torso section.

Pretty solid attempt with the third one. Looks good for a 30 min study!!

Assignments 4,5 and 6 looks good though!! With the 7th one, I think you should intentionally try and choose a painting for study which lets you think that you're biting more than you could chew. Every time I sit to choose a painting for study, I think of the first thing that runs to my mind. If it is, "NO! I possibly can't", then that's the one I'll do!! Keeps you at the edge of your skills every time.

In the 10th one, his face has got some planes missing inside. His eyes are a bit larger too.

The last ones look good. Though in the old man above, I think that his eyes are a bit too dark and there's an overall increase in contrast in his face. His hat is also lighter.

Good effort, though I think that you've quit trying. I would hope you finish the assignments are you are so close to completion.

Good luck.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to akky111 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by akky111 View Post
    Viatrix,

Good effort!!

A lot of the values are lost in the first one. You have included a lot of blacks which weren't in the original. Also there is like a curve in the shield which Conan is carrying which seems to be lost in the study.

In the second one, there seems to be couple of areas where darker values are lost; like in her hair behind her neck area and in the torso section.

Pretty solid attempt with the third one. Looks good for a 30 min study!!

Assignments 4,5 and 6 looks good though!! With the 7th one, I think you should intentionally try and choose a painting for study which lets you think that you're biting more than you could chew. Every time I sit to choose a painting for study, I think of the first thing that runs to my mind. If it is, "NO! I possibly can't", then that's the one I'll do!! Keeps you at the edge of your skills every time.

In the 10th one, his face has got some planes missing inside. His eyes are a bit larger too.

The last ones look good. Though in the old man above, I think that his eyes are a bit too dark and there's an overall increase in contrast in his face. His hat is also lighter.

Good effort, though I think that you've quit trying. I would hope you finish the assignments are you are so close to completion.

Good luck.

Thanks Akky! I have to admit that I have been struggling a lot lately art-wise coupled with some stuff IRL that came up lately (expected/planned events but kept me from art nonetheless). Anyhow, I am on my way back to normalcy again.

This next piece is something that captivated me from the get go. I knew I wanted to paint it for this assignment the moment I laid eyes on it. The details, the carefully placed objects really caught my eye. I knew right away that it has a powerful composition. I spent about 3 hours or so in this one and I find it very challenging. I think I felt discouraged too because I was getting frustrated because I felt like I couldn't capture it the way I wanted to (always felt that the face was off). I also realized that experimenting with brushes is not a good idea for me while working on an actual piece because it distracts me quite a bit and makes the process even longer and inefficient. Lesson learned. Pity party over lol.

This is my 19th assignment: Brom's Tarzan.

I feel that every element in this piece is like music. They feel so unified despite everything that's going on in the picture. The pterodactyl's corpse frames Tarzan beautifully. The giant snake's body positioned in a way that it directs the eye towards the left of the image, then to the pterodactyl's wings as its claws hover over Tarzan's head. The slightly diagonal line that the pterodactyl's head completes this frame as its beak point back to the snake. I thought that was a beautiful presentation of rhythm and emphasis using a variety of elements in the picture. I wish I did this picture more justice. I was not able to capture the facial likeness for instance but at least I am happy that I feel like I am getting a deeper understanding of composition and how it really completes an artwork. I even see composition principles now in Movies and TV show scenes because of this assignment

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  115.3 KB

Thanks
    Wow!! This is good!! Your values are really really close!! I'd say that spending more time on the face would be logical since that is the part that we look to, for emotions. If there is a piece with 50:50 face:body, I'd spend 70 on the face and then 30 on the body (you get the idea!!). The placement of your masses also seems to be close enough!! I'd say this piece was definitely worth the time spent. His eyes, however, seem to be darker and his hair lighter in the shadows. Other than that, good job!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to akky111 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,465 Times in 4,451 Posts
    You're still losing a bit of shape, values and edges. You'll need to up the ante for the last one to pass. Keep it up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Took my time on this last one. Not sure if it will pass so here goes:
    Viatrix - Composition 1.1

Frazetta art - approximately 4+ hours.

I had my eye on this piece for awhile and saved it to my favorites. I like the simplicity of the background as it accentuates the triangular composition. There's rhythm and repetition on the man's shirt pattern and the crease of his pants. The guns, especially the rifle provided a sharp contrast with the fluid/smooth structure of the figures and the fabric. The rifle also is set on almost horizontally which balances the wide base of the lower part of the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Viatrix; February 11th, 2017 at 10:35 PM. Reason: updated file

Thanks
    Hey,

This one looks good. You have a little bit of higher contrast in your piece. I think the values are really close!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to akky111 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Last edited by Viatrix; February 12th, 2017 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks
    Question: I am guessing I need to wait for the verdict before I move on to the next step? Thanks!

Thanks
    I dont have power to say this is done but I would say start next one fix this one later if needed so you dont waste time but my critic for last one: shapes are slightly off not much, squint more so you see values better and edges are off but if you decide to fix then look more of those principles of design
    Last edited by stonec; March 8th, 2017 at 11:44 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I see that you are done your assignment, and I must say the improvement from your first picture to your last one is very inspiring. Great work!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to pleasancely For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,465 Times in 4,451 Posts
    Much better. Please start the next assignment. This is going to the Hall of Achievement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3