Thanks
    Thanked 1,815 Times in 724 Posts

COW #359: Bahamut - WIPs Thread

COW #359: Bahamut - WIPs Thread

Name:  COW 300 Rules banner.jpg
Views: 1916
Size:  381.0 KB

For more information and details about the rules of Creature of the Week go here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=271896

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Topic:
    COW #359: Bahamut

Brief:
    For those who don't know, Bahamut is a God-like dragon that can be found in the Dungeons & Dragons games as well as Final Fantasy games. Bahamut differs a bit in either game, but we are going to be focusing mainly on his appearances from Final Fantasy as his designs are quite daring in comparison to Dungeons & Dragons. In Final Fantasy Bahamut is a god-like dragon which can be summoned to do battle on the player's behalf. Bahamut takes on many different appearances throughout the Final Fantasy games, sometimes even taking on a very robotic appearance, of course I would prefer if your design looks a bit more natural.

Round Requirements:
    -Bahamut is typically a powerful god-like dragonoid, your design must refelct this.
    -Go above and beyond with your design, referring to the Final Fantasy games to see just how diverse Bahamut can be

Deadline:
    Wednesday December 12, 11:59:59 PM EST (GMT -4)

This thread is the WIPs Thread, meant for uploading any wips, sketches, and ideas for your creature's concepts, as well as any crits, comments, reference images, and discussions relating to the topic! Please submit your final entries to the Finals Thread which can be found here, otherwise your entry will not be included into the poll:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...75#post3973375

If you have any ideas for a future topic for Creature of the Week you are free to add your own ideas and suggestions to the Topic Suggestion Thread!

If your looking for a little inspiration for your designs, we have a good Site Reference Thread available!

Have a gander through hundreds of winning entries from previous topics at Creature of the Week at our Winners Gallery!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rob Powell; November 29th, 2015 at 01:45 PM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thmb1

An idea.....

Thanks

Thmb2

Another idea...

Thanks

Thmb3

Thinking about different compositions....

Thanks
    Also gathering some ideas, mostly searching for interesting looking forms:
    Name:  Bahamut00.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  173.8 KB

@Lege1: At the moment I like the last one the most - pose and dragon are the most striking ones so far. Really love those curly horns!

Thanks
    Been a while since I finished one of these. But this challenge looks pretty fun!

Name:  Screenshot 2015-12-01 18.46.43.jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  60.3 KB

These are some of the sketches I've made so far, I'm trying to make him a bit more bestial than some of the incarnations I've seen. Still not sure how I feel about them, but we'll see.

EDIT: Took some advice on board and tried making him a bit bulkier. Current sketch:

Name:  Screenshot 2015-12-01 22.06.40.png
Views: 1654
Size:  237.5 KB
    Last edited by Tchuk; December 1st, 2015 at 06:19 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 550 Posts
    Good on you for all the design directions Lege!
    Looking good Sam!
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    More ideas, more progress... Going for the bottom design probably.

Name:  Bahamut02.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  202.9 KB

Thanks
    Thanks Dave! I hope you're thinking of entering this one too

And looking Orm Irian, I like the head design you have so far on the bottom right, looks very final fantasy

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 550 Posts
    Yup, I'm in Sam.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

15. The Following User Says Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Rob Powell: Depending on the game Bahamut can come across as quite humanoid, and almost looks as if he is wearing armour in some ( FFXII Revenant wings)
    how much can we bend the rules on this one?
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,815 Times in 724 Posts
    Moirae: As long as you don't bend the rules too much, I still want to see creatures for this topic...
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some stuff I've been playing around with. (I just realized that so far its pretty close to what you had, Orm Irian, so I'll keep playing with it to push in a different direction!)

I've noticed that most depictions are very heavily muscled, but I'd like to get away from that a little bit. Let me know what you guys think so far.

Name:  cow359_1.png
Views: 1599
Size:  289.7 KB
    -- No Follow Through --
    CA.org Sketchbook
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Posting what I have so far. Not entirely sure it looks enough like Bahamut, but I've tried several variations and this is the one I like the most so far.

Name:  Screenshot 2015-12-03 20.49.10.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  127.8 KB

@Scorge: Nice work! Coming in and setting the bar really high as usual. The pelvis/leg area feels a bit undefined but otherwise I really like it

@Jabbie: Nice to see a different take on it Be careful that the eyes don't look too insect-like. But it has potential. I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @scorge: Really love your bahamut - I especially went "wow" over the atmosphere in your picture. That orange background paired with those little blue spots really fit together well. I agree with Tchuk here though, the pelvis indeed looks a little bit undefined. Also I think his hands - especially those on the right side from our point of view - look a bit weird.

@jabbie: A less muscled bahamut surely is certainly a good idea. Out of your three shown head concepts, I like the one in the middle the most. The top one feels a bit too "generic" somehow and the bottom one would probably work better with not so big eyes. Also I think your concept is quite different looking to mine at the moment - if you like it, go for it!

@Tchuk: I really love that head! In my opinion he is enough bahamutish, especially if you add some cool stuff while rendering. I think glowing (blue?) horns for instance would go really well with your concept!

As for my bahamut - I'm in the middle of figuring stuff out. I decided to go for the head concept shown last and the body concept of the last picture. Just added the portal, so the lighting effects of that on the bahamut are absolutely absent for the moment (it will be added next!). Colors are also not definitely set yet. The blue will most probably vanish again (might be replaced with something redish / orangish).

Name:  Bahamut03.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  139.4 KB

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orm Irian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Aghhhh. This is going to take me ages to colour. Should have started sooner yet again.

Name:  dragon b.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  190.5 KB
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

Thanks
    Practicing with my iPad. Don't expect to win but the challenge is fun

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1731
Size:  72.7 KB

Thanks
    may want to extend this chow a bit longer

Thanks
    Another update! Also added a detail shot of the head for a better view of the details.

Name:  Bahamut05.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  190.8 KB

Thanks
    Probably finished mine! I wait with submitting though, since I tend to always see a lot of mistakes after calling an artwork finished.
    Hope everyone else gets to finish their Bahamut as well! Really want to see the final piece of everyone.

Name:  Bahamut07.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  236.5 KB

Thanks
    my stupid thumbnails, most started on paper. some evolved quite a bit as i switched to photoshop, others just sucked anyway.
    sorry for the large image and paper in the background, i hope everything is relatively readable.

though i currently dont think i can finish one, helping me decide for a direction would be cool.

@Thuck: really like your thumbnails. great sense of motion so to say.

Name:  20151207.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  163.7 KB

30. The Following User Says Thank You to gabel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My sketches and references. The idea is to design FF looking creature that has believable biology and no artificial additions (like the ring).
    What do you guys think?

@sirkrimskull : love your sketches, you really explore shape of the creature. I don't know if it is only my feeling but most look a bit 'funny'/cartoonish. I love all your heads expressions but they do not look very serious to me Is it intentional?
    @Tchuk : majestically composed pose, it expose the wonderful silhouette very well and I love the head. I miss some details that would point to FF series more but I love it as it is.

Name:  dariaZersen_behamutWIP_01.jpg
Views: 1707
Size:  102.8 KB

Thanks
    @zersen: not really intentional at all, and part of the reason why I kept on doing thumbnails. some are clearly somewhat ironical (like number 2). for others I could image that the cartoonish style fades away after some more work. might not be the case though.

as for your sketches, I really like the stance and wing/symbol relationship. proportions might need a litte more tweaking.

Thanks
    Just posting an update for my version. Not sure it's QUITE done, may need some tidying up but it's pretty much there.

Name:  Screenshot 2015-12-08 11.25.19.jpg
Views: 1679
Size:  90.7 KB

@Steve Ayrton
    : Promising start but I'd check the silhouette as it feels a bit messy at the minute. The perspective is also slightly off for it's front arm as it'll be close to the viewer and larger.

@Alboyer: Why extend it?

@Orm Irian: Thanks a lot! Yeah I tried adding some glow to the horns or making them glow from within. I don't think it worked though, it just confuses where the focal point is which I'd like to be the face. But thank you for the critique! Yours is looking good! I'd keep an eye on the values though, a lot is in the very dark black, which ends up hiding a lot. I typically take some inspirational images and greyscale them to remind myself of the kind of values to be aiming for before an image. It might come in useful for you too

@Moirae: You can do it! Keep going

@Sirkrimskull: Thanks a lot Personally out of yours number 4 seems like my favourite. but it's not got a smooth pose. Try drawing an 'S' shape through it's design and have it's body mimic that in some way. Most creatures and characters have something like an 'S' curve in them, and it creates a nice clear comfortable flow for a creature. I just did a quick example but I hope it helps:

Name:  Screenshot 2015-12-08 12.48.40.png
Views: 1689
Size:  59.3 KB

@Zersen: Yeah that's what I was worried about too. But I'm glad with how it came out You've really done your research on yours and it shows, keep up that ethic! I'd be worried about the size of the legs as they'd probably struggle to hold up that much weight, but making them larger might compromise your silhouette. It's up to your own judgement really

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    will try to write some more but I want to show my wips as your previous comments helped me a lot. Thank you!
    (its going to be a tough competition)
    Name:  dariaZersen_behamutWIP_02.jpg
Views: 1688
Size:  116.1 KB

Thanks
    Thanks a lot Tchuk, also for the great tip! Might really help me to figure values out for my next artwork in beforehand. It's a know weakness that I tend to make pictures too dark, I believe it's also because I love to work in the dark - bright spots always appears too be to bright in the dark. Anyway, I try to lighten the picture a bit up without exaggerate it. Also I add the missing part of his underarm of the left arm, it somehow went missing while finishing the whole thing (it looks a bit like he has just one arm at the moment)!

@Tchuk: I agree, glowing things can indeed take the focus away from your target (the head). Maybe it would be possible to accomplish both, when you add a tiny little glow? But anyway, with or without the glow - your concept is quite impressive indeed! Really looking forward to seeing the final picture.

@sirkrimskull: Same concept caught my eye as Tchuk: I really love that "tentacle" addition of the head, in addition to the two horns.

@zersen: I feel like your pose might work better, if you make the chest a tiny bit more slim maybe. Otherwise I really like it!

Thanks
    Promised to write some more. Your comments helped me a lot so I will try to help too.

@Lege1: It is nice and beneficial to you to present your work so others can make the most of it Like one post with 3 designs in one file make it easier to compere them and comment on them. Your 'designs' differ more in composition of the illustration itself then the design of the creature. It's cool to practice that but I think COW finals are supposed to be judged on creature design more then overall composition

@OrmIrian: I love your sketches and ideas but I feel like they get lost in your rendering. Did you think about staying b&w, maybe even traditional drawing only for the sake of COW? To show off your design skill more then your digital painting skill.

(are there any nice places on the net to get feedback on digital painting like this forums are for design skill? would love to know them myself)

@Thuck: brilliant work, what can I say. I love your ''S'' theory. Always struggle to keep nice action line from preliminary sketches. Maybe this will help.

@scorge: Interesting design (and don't feel comfortable to comment on the overall illustration yet)

@Moirae: its very FF in overall design. I like it a lot. The pose seems to me a bit too peaceful for this creature but I'm sure you can make it work for you.

@SteveAyrtone: I totally agree the design would show more in better established silhouette.

@sirkrimskull: actually it would be fun to see sarcastic approach to this creature and you could pull it off I think.

I think I'm done with b&w

Name:  dariaZersen_behamutWIP_03.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  57.9 KB
    Last edited by zersen; December 9th, 2015 at 10:34 AM.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to zersen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @zersen: Thanks a lot for your very helpful advice! Actually I work with grey-scale sometime. I used to do that more often in the past, but stopped since I find it quite a pain to colorize the whole thing correctly afterwards and I didn't seem to get much benefit out of it back then. But I honestly think I should try it once again - next COW from me will be first b&w and then (maybe) colorized. I can't really do anything traditionally, I only feel comfortable with a pencil and even then, ctrl+Z and layers are so much missed!
    I really feel like your concept now works quite well - also you show me a great way how to build up an artwork without colors - looking really great!

I brighten up my Bahamut - looks already better and I think I call him finished now for real. I don't think I can improve it much more, but thanks to you lots I know where I should focus more and I feel like I can improve on my next artwork - I learned quite a lot in this round.
    Last edited by Orm Irian; December 9th, 2015 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks
    Name:  bahanut.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  263.4 KBnot submitting to finals just a quick sketch i came up with today.