Primitive Rage Hammer (Concept)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Primitive Rage Hammer (Concept)

Hello all. This is a weapon concept for a competition I am currently doing. It is basically a tree trunk that has been splintered an, compacted into a sort of Hammer/ Axe hybrid. Please feel free to review it.

Thanks.

[IMG]Primitive Rage Hammer (Concept)[/IMG]

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clever idea. Really like the coloring job on that trunk also. Would love to see it being used

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, I imagine that whoever would wield this thing would have to be massive.
    I'll try to get some shots of it in use.

thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good. I like how you painted the metal parts. Could you post a detail of some of the metal?

Keep em coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interseting concept and painted very well. However your perspective isn't very consistent. It seems the metal warps in certain parts or certain curves just seem off, like the one at top in the middle. Maybe that was intentional though...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool idea. I think some different coloring could be used for the tree part. Right now it looks like a standard tree, but I think it would be more fitting to color it like a dead tree or something to make it look more menacing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink

great Critiques.

Thanks (shoe).

Thanks (inpho)

Good advice(BlueMech). I was going for a battered and bruised look. Like the weapon had been put through some abuse. Yeah, I can see where I might of gotten a little too free with some of my linework.

(mtw) Nice idea, I will give it a try.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The idea is original, i`ll give you that. But i fail to see where this can be put into practical use. If i were to go into battle with that thing, I`d use the back to hit people. Cuz you have all those splinters of wood that would bend or break and take some ooompfh out of the blow.

But hey, it looks cool!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I disagree with Slash here. I think all those splinters and stuff would add a little to the damage factor. I mean, lets face it, it's gonna hurt like hell to get hit with a piece of a tree trunk for sure...But it would be worse if a big jagged piece of wood took out your eye just before you got walloped.

But I digress...

Anyway, I like the concept, it's original and fun and it looks like it could put world of ouch on someone. Like the render as well, though I agree with Bluemech that it looks off in a few places. Very nicely done however.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It would hurt even more if the spikes and trunk were massive steel. Wood is TEH soft.

If your opponent isnt wearing armor it doesnt matter anyway. he`S gonna get killed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know what TEH means, but you're right. Steel would be worse. Either one is gonna hurt like the dickens though, and I still like the overall concept of it. Reminds me of Pikel Bouldershoulder in R.A. Salvatore's books.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Teh is a common typo for the. This transposition of the most common word in the English language is so common that it is one of the words in the auto-correct lists of spell-checkers in popular word processing applications such as Microsoft Word or Corel WordPerfect -- along with adn and even doucment.

In the online slang known as leet, it is deliberately used in place of the word the. Here it is often spelt with a numeral 3 in place of the E, when simple "th3" is not used. For example, TEH or T3H are the traditional spellings of "the" when part of the phrase "PH33R T3H ____". This is also used by many non-l33t Internet users or in a few Flash Videos.

Teh can also be used as an intensifier, such as "he is teh lame".

The intentional use of teh is especially characteristic of the writings of Jeff K., who likely popularized it. A common Jeff K.-esque usage of the word is teh in conjunction with a (misspelled) adjective to create a noun. For example, "TEH FUNNAY" refers to a thing that is funny or the general quality of funniness. This usage is commonly in all-caps (again in imitation of Jeff K.) but does not have to be.

from www.wikipedia.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

I like this concept, it's pretty conventional.. until you see the splintered wood. Then it gets innovative! Cool! What competition is this for?

It may be your rendering, but the linear parts of the metal look kind of off-kilter. If this is intended as part of the item's character, I'd make the metal a little rougher, so it looks more roughly forged, as opposed to finely forged, or even roughly machined, as it does now.

I'm not much for practical discussions of objects that are so imaginary as to defy reasonable rules of reality, but this one kinda treads the line between realistic and imaginary. One thing that I think of when looking at the splintered wood is that if used as a savagely-burred mallet, the wood splinters would get mashed and flattened by repeated impacts, leaving a pretty distinctive texture. You may or may not have seen this, but my dad had a wooden mallet in his shop that I remember had that kind of mashed-splinter edge on it. Next time you're in the woods or your nearest park, grab a piece of dry branch, snap it in half, and then go to a rock or concrete surface and bash on the broken end like you're in a 'primitive rage'. You'll see what I mean.

Other than that, the odd piece of wood in a significant place makes me think that it's really more important than you might think -- like it's a special piece of wood, something magical or particularly powerful.

Then there's that prong on the other end -- OWWWW! I'd hate to meet up with the guy who uses this thing as his main - or ceremonial - weapon. Yikes!

/jzero

/jzero

'don't believe everything you think.'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, great critiques.

(I_am)
    I had thought of sealing the tree shards in a iron like cast but I felt that it really changed the direction of what I was shooting for visually.

(Slash)
    Thanks for the insight. I think if the wood was more petrified or even closer to stone it might be a bit more practical. The wielder has two routes the hammer or the axe. Perhaps the blade would be used for Armor piercing an the hammer saved for punishing those who are brave enough to enter the battlefield unprotected.

(jzero)
    well put. The metal should be more worn down and angled. As far as the trunk well maybe it does have magic inside it......perhaps a seal or some type of immunity to being broken further than it is.

Thanks for the opinions, I now have a few new directions l would like to experiment with.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.