Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJams View Post
    Something I want to comment on is something most of us are guilty of which is you've got a lot of same face going on. Most of the women not only have really samey looking faces but very similar expressions, their all wearing a scowl. Even on the expressions page there is a lot of >: [
    Guilty as charged. I only try to make the faces look "in order", and don't care too much about facial expression variety. This scowl face maybe reflects my own mood

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    About this picture: At first, I sketched the figure on the left hand side. The other figure is supposed to be a mirror reflection, the idea for that came later.
    Things I've done wrong:
    -Anatomy (duh)
    -Didn't think this whole thing through (as always)
    -Didn't consider in what angle the viewer is looking at the mirror
    -Didn't consider the distance between the figure and the mirror
    -What else?
    Name:  IMG_20170720_0001.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  105.9 KB
    I think I will start all over, drawing figure and reflection at the same time.

Thanks
    It's an interesting exercise for sure. I think you've pretty much covered it, it's important to try to keep the perspective and mirror angle in mind. She'd have to be much closer to the mirror for it to give a straight frontal view.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeWest For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You need to study anatomy faces and body even if you say about scowl expression it doesnt tell about who is she looking at, is it someone who she cant trust or friend......
    What you can tell about what is he feeling???
    Name:  russia7-1024x780.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  279.1 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Woah that dude looks pissed. Like "I'm gonna murder you once I get out of here"

Thanks
    Tried it again.
    Name:  nightie_playful.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  158.5 KB

Thanks
    It's a decent pencil drawing, but for the sake of discussing mirrors I think there are a few important aspects to explore here. I'm trying to wrap my head around the angle of the mirror. If we are looking straight at her and the mirror is in our field of view, turned toward her, almost everything that we see of her would not be reflected in the mirror. The left side of her face would be obscured, for instance. A mirror image is reflected light and light bounces in a very straightforward manner. The angle of incidence (incoming light) is equal to the angle of reflection (outgoing light). A mirror is basically just a reversed window into the scene from that angle. What does it see? Try it for yourself. When do you get a flat frontal view in a mirror? WHEN YOU ARE STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF IT!

Bear in mind, this is very, very advanced stuff. For someone like me it's difficult enough to make correct mirror images of basic objects. Making a mirror image of a human being in correct perspective, in a full scene, is EXTREMELY difficult. With that said, here's my input. I've taken some liberties with the angle and eyeballed rough estimates which probably aren't anywhere near correct, but I hope you get the idea. It's all about reading the angle and visualizing the correct rotation. Look for clues in the figure itself, and the orientation of the mirror. Which parts are closer to it? Imagine a basketball coming from the viewer, bouncing off the mirror, to the figure and back again. Find the points where it bounces.

Name:  IMG_2243.JPG
Views: 490
Size:  356.8 KB

Her head is turned wayyyy too far towards us and the reflection reveals a twisted, exorcist-style head turn. You need to get your anatomy right before doing fancy reflections or it'll fall apart when you apply these tricks.

I did not use the grid for drawing the reflection, it's just a reference to help you get a sense for the angle I was thinking of, which I figured would create a decent sense of depth. Note that the horizontal lines of the grid are parallel to the lines of the reflected ceiling lamps! How to align and transform the body mainly depends on finding parallel lines and transforming them in a somewhat equal capacity to eachother. Perspective and distance will of course alter these variables... headache-inducing if you ask me.

BTW, this is now your thread's theme song: https://youtu.be/RGiQIqz7f2w

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeWest For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Duuuuude, this is so bad*ss
    Spacegryphon's Art Dump

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Angry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Color of the BG vs hair color... ? (this one is unfinished)
    Name:  banshee2.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  286.5 KB

Thanks
    Name:  banshee_small_001.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  71.5 KB

Thanks
    Looking good! I'm happy to say it's easy to tell you've put work into it! It's a significant jump from the earlier "matrix" piece.

Do you have a function in your art program to reduce the range you're able to color pick? I think it would be good for you to avoid using pure blacks and whites. They are rarely, if ever, flattering to a piece. Black tends to flatten an image and pure white is easily distracting. Those bulbs in the background are super distracting for me. Try to keep the white to a minimum and use more of an intermediate halo that is yellow or orange. There are exceptions, like comic books where you need strongly inked and clear lines, and often have fewer values in between to work with, but in a painting I'd try to avoid extreme values as much as possible. This will also teach you to find color and hue in very dark spots, which will help you grow as an artist.

Anatomically, the lower half of her body is spot on, well done. The belly in particular is well depicted, maybe the rim lighting on the right could have a bit more depth (looking at what catches the light, her left abs would surely catch some light from that angle. The chest and face are quite flat looking. I think the folds are better than anything you've done previously but you may have gone just a bit overboard with the amount of lines. You don't need an exceptional amount of bright lines to imply folds, just put them in the right place. Quality before quantity. The skintone is much more convincing than before and quite reminiscent of popular pinup artists right now, you're definitely heading in the right direction.

Anyway, keep it up!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeWest For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks. I heavily relied on a reference pic this time. Even superimposed the silhouettes to check. I used extreme black and white because I wanted to get the super shiny look of patent leather... getting super shiny, you know

Thanks
    Hi Spacegryphon. Sorry for ask it, but how do you study and practice?

Thanks
    Hi Chickenslayer. Usually it goes like this. When I start a drawing, I check some reference and tutorials beforehand, but I study and learn very unsystematically.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Spacegryphon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I wish I had more of that adventurer character that you have when it comes to draw and paint. I mean... I can't work that much on a piece if I'm not sure of what I'm doing. Don't get me wrong, I think that's a good thing. You'll improve faster if you focus on the fundamentals tho.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast