Thanks

Unhappy Blocking in colours?!?

ok... I think I'm about to ask a pretty stupid question... just don't beat me over the head just yet!

I've been reading and doing many tutorials, and I find the following figure of speach (?) over and over again: "blocking in colours"; especially when its related to digital painting. Everyone makes it sound so banal... I have some ideas as to what it could mean, but I'm not too sure... so my stupid question is: what the hell does blocking in colours mean???????

thanx in advance for any light you might bring in on this!
    - Tony

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Not 100% confident about this answer but I think basically blocking in colors means laying out your colors in big generic kind of way. When you first start to paint a scene you first pick out big general ideas - this tree is in general this kind of green, this flesh looks in general this kind of color, then you block in those areas - the big shapes, with those colors. From there you start working more and more specific, but trying to stay general with each step - blocking in differences of general areas of the body, or the trees, or whatever you're painting. This way you have more of a process to work on and keep the whole of the image in your mind while working on it. Also a way of keeping things simple because it is the big ideas of the image that are the most important for readabilty. Like I said not completely sure, but I think thats what they're trying to say.
    Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    I've thought it to mean large blobs of color that delineate where a shape/form is in your image ("massing" with color I guess you could call it). Either that, or it could mean something like what xia did to his futuristic hellhound or whatever I'm going to call it here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...t=14028&page=5

Thanks
    It means, essentially, identifying the main shapes that you are trying to paint, and figureing out their middle color (as in middle value between their darkened and lightened state). Then you take those colors and put them in the right places forming those generic shapes that you identified earlier. From there you add the darks and the lights, and start working in the details, refining he shapes.

Thanks
    Okay! got it now

thanks for the speedy response!
    - Tony