• scorge

8 66.67%
  • Spydr

0 0%
  • jabbie

2 16.67%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,815 Times in 724 Posts

COW #358: Toothy Kelp Dweller with Bulbous Growths - VOTING!

COW #358: Toothy Kelp Dweller with Bulbous Growths - VOTING!

Name:  COW 300 Rules banner.jpg
Views: 3240
Size:  381.0 KB

VOTING IS NOW OPEN! Please vote for which entry you feel best adheres to the topic's brief and requirements, based on the concept's design, creativity, execution, etc!
    If you have submitted an entry to this thread please refrain from voting for your own entries. I will deduct your vote from your entry if you do so.
    In the event of a multi-vote round please avoid voting for more than 3 or 4 entries. Votes won't be deducted if you do so, but keep in mind your vote is essentially wasted if you decide to vote for every single entry.
    You may critique and comment on the submitted entries if you like. As long as you play nice!

Round Requirements:
    -has a distinctive toothy mouth
    -inhabits underwater kelp forests
    -has bulbous growths all over it's body (bulbous refers to a rounded or bulging shape)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rob Powell; November 29th, 2015 at 01:21 PM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Artist: Steve Ayrton

Concept: Kelp Dwelling Angler Eel

A creature that evolved to make use of the dim light conditions deep within a kelp forrest. Large eyes help it to hunt its prey, as does the angler light. Its tail blends perfectly into the kelp forrest, allowing it to remain undetected as it hunts, while its bulbous growths hold large stores of poison and feed directly into the mouth from behind the jaw. Poison can also be emitted through the skin to deter predators and the stores for this are behind the head.

I'm sorry for the lack of WIP posts... I kinda got carried away with my Cmd+S habit and saved over everything =/ I'll be sure to make WIPs in future!
    Last edited by Steve Ayrton; November 26th, 2015 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks
    Artist: fabianguiza

Concept: Bulbous back turtle

The bulbous back turtle's entire digestive track, including tongue and throat is covered in teeth. Much like its closest living relative, the leather back turtle, this adaptation allows it to digest large quantities of jellyfish and sea slugs living in kelp forests. The bulbous back is further characterized by bulbous growths along its back filled with the poison it extracts from its prey; these keep any potential predators at bay. The bulbous back's unique front flippers are the largest of all turtles and are reminiscent of the fins of a manta ray. This is an example of convergent evolution allowing for great maneuverability required for hunting in the dense kelp forest.

Name:  kelp_final.jpg
Views: 2900
Size:  286.2 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 2,325 Times in 550 Posts
    Artist: scorge

Concept: Kelp Dweller

Among the Kelp it floats along, its bulbous growths thought to store its ballast and sex glands. The Kelp Dweller awaits its prey, its teeth long and sharp. Its long arms ensnare its food pulling it towards its gaping pie hole.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Hey guys, gonna give some extra time for this one...pushing it until tomorrow at 12pm EST
    New topic will be posted tomorrow as well...
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Artist: Spydr

Concept: Kelp Crawler

The Kelp Crawler uses it's gas filled sacs to help drift it from kelp frond to kelp frond. And it's long from arms to grab prey and navigate the tangled maze of kelp. It's eyes are the blue tipped antenna that protrude from beneath the hard carapace.
    Name:  COW 358 - Toothy Kelp Dweller with Bulbous Growths.jpg
Views: 2871
Size:  65.5 KB
    Last edited by Spydr; November 29th, 2015 at 04:38 AM.
    SpydrXIII.DeviantArt.com

Thanks
    Artist: Jabbie

Concept: California Kelp Seal

The California kelp seal is a gilled mammal that inhabits the kelp forests of Monterey. Its kelp-like growths allow it to hide expertly among the fronds of the forest, where it silently lies in wait for prey. Its body is a dull grey brown, but its head flushes red during moments of high agitation, such as when defending a kill.

The holiday kept me from developing this much further, but such is life! Critiques very welcome

Name:  cow358_final.jpg
Views: 2793
Size:  100.0 KB

-- No Follow Through --
    CA.org Sketchbook
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Alright folks Closing the topic...running a bit late but I'll get things sorted in a bit...

Poll is up!!

Cuts
    Steve Aryton - We need to see more of the creature's body. The focus of these activites are primarily on concept design rather than illustration, even though illustrations are allowed, as a result we need to get a better grasp on the creature's overall anatomy and body compared to the other entrants for voting. Other than the creature's head the rest of the image is a little tough to make out as well, so I wasn't even sure if I could see other parts of the creature\s body as well...I don't like cutting people but because there could've been a lot more to show I had to reject your entry for this round...
    Last edited by Rob Powell; November 29th, 2015 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks
    Lol okay, no worries. Thanks for organising it anyways.

Good luck everyone =]