Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,815 Times in 724 Posts

COW #357: Genetically Manufactured Superbeast - WIPs Thread

COW #357: Genetically Manufactured Superbeast - WIPs Thread

Name:  COW 300 Rules banner.jpg
Views: 2442
Size:  381.0 KB

For more information and details about the rules of Creature of the Week go here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=271896

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Topic:
    COW #357: Genetically Manufactured Superbeast

Brief:
    Several decades in the future, the human race has surpassed any and all boundaries regarding it's research in Genetics. With new found knowledge and discoveries, the human race, still naive in their scientific capabilities had begun developing a fully genetically manufactured creature for use as a bio-weapon. The creature is made up of a base animal with features and abilities borrowed from other known animals and lifeforms. However such a creature turned out to be too much to handle for the puny humans who crafted it.

For this round I want you guys to create a creature that was genetically manufactured in a lab. It's base genetic structure comes from a single animal (living or extinct) but in addition to it's obvious routes it also has extra features and in grown abilities added to it from other creatures. Be creative and use that biological knowledge, as it's genetic abilities don't need to be limited to just the animal kingdom. But try to make sure you are not drawing a chimeric creature, this isn't a mis-mash of animal parts thrown together here, there needs to be some kind of anatomical harmony present in your design. Design yourself a Genetically Manufactured Superbeast, CoWies!!

Round Requirements:
    -Choose an existing animal as the 'base' of it's genetic make-up, you will then build up from there using other parts and features from other animals
    -this creature is modified to be used as a bio-weapon and has advanced capabilities in comparison to it's real world counterpart, in other words it was made to kill
    -in addition to being super buffed it also has added abilities from other creatures and life-forms (which can include plants and fungi so long as the creature is still mostly animal), also keep in mind this creature isn't a mutated pile of goo, nor is it a chimeric creature with mis-matched anatomy

Deadline:
    Saturday November 14, 11:59:59 PM EST (GMT -4)

This thread is the WIPs Thread, meant for uploading any wips, sketches, and ideas for your creature's concepts, as well as any crits, comments, reference images, and discussions relating to the topic! Please submit your final entries to the Finals Thread which can be found here, otherwise your entry will not be included into the poll:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...54#post3969454

If you have any ideas for a future topic for Creature of the Week you are free to add your own ideas and suggestions to the Topic Suggestion Thread!

If your looking for a little inspiration for your designs, we have a good Site Reference Thread available!

Have a gander through hundreds of winning entries from previous topics at Creature of the Week at our Winners Gallery!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cool subject. Gives quite a bit of flexibility and allows a lot of different approaches. I haven't found mine yet. Here are few sketches. I'm not happy enough with any of them to take them further so I keep sketching till I find something. The shark head is an ok idea but it's a bit obvious in my opinion and the rest of the body doesn't play along with the head that well. The bear with wings is just that: a bear with wings. The bat critter is the least dynamic but I like the idea behind the best: soft belly protected by several wings and tough back. Some repeating patterns, better pose and flow with a cool head could do wonders. After that I can start thinking how it actually attacks and kills.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arbinn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Arbinn - Looks like you could use some company in here. I'll try to get something together for this soon. In the meantime I like the looks of #2 the most out of those, although a flying bear is pretty scary to think about too.

Thanks
    @Arbinn - I also like #2 best, I love the armored head.

Pretty new to CA and this is my first ever COW attempt so we'll see how it goes... I'm also gunna keep sketching for a while to see what pops up. Below is my first attempt, which I think is probably WAY too safe and definitely not scary/badass enough... But I do like the idea of using a creature built for speed/agility as a base. This one is basically a greyhound with some crocodile thrown in for armor/bite force, and some cobra-style fangs for good measure. I'll keep pushing and see what comes out!
    -- No Follow Through --
    CA.org Sketchbook
    Tumblr

Thanks
    My 2cents...

@Arbinn - I think #2 is the one I'd be most afraid of, but picturewise I like #3 best, it has the most interesting silhouette, and the face is brilliant.

@Jabbie - that's a really lovely run pose, you really get a feeling of speed and power. One thing to maybe look at is how your fangs work when the mouth is closed - at the moment yours hang down which can end up looking a bit cartoony - real snake fangs fold back into the mouth and then flick forward when they open up to bite (https://youtu.be/VcMxJL3GfPA) which is seriously freaky - I was going for snake fangs too. I've been thinking about swapping them out for some spiderbits instead though, so no worries. I can't wait to see how yours turns out!

So anyway, this is my first COW, and I'm very new to CA in general, so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right - I find I tend to need to write up a reasonably fleshed out concept before I start drawing. Also, I'm away from home for a few months, so I'm going to do my best with just pencil and paper as that's all I have here.

Critique is very very welcome, also I'm not sure if it's ok to do a colony of creatures as opposed to just one. I don't mind dropping the idea if it's not really in the spirit of what everyone's going for.

Hive Rats

They were initially intended for assassination - the standard laboratory rat, augmented with invertebrate DNA - taking from bees the colony organisation instincts and a pheremone sensitivity detailed enough to target a single individual, you could set up a hive anywhere and the soldiers would rapidly seek their target and dispatch legions of drones to bite them, injecting lethal spider neurotoxins. Even if they were unable to reach their target immediately, being rats they were capable of gnawing through almost any material and infiltrating via any hole less than an inch across. The labs boosted the intelligence of the soldier class with monkey DNA, giving them opposable thumbs and problem-solving abilities to enable them to seek out any defence weaknesses. The colonies were self sustaining, to allow for prolonged undermining of obstacles, but there was a clever kill switch built in to their design. Once the target had been killed, the drones would return to the hive with parts of the deceased and feed it to the queen. Designed to be vulnerable to the toxin, she would then die, and the colony would collapse.

Unfortunately, a mutation rendered a small number of the supposedly sterile workers fully fertile, and before long the hive rats had bred with feral populations of brown rats. Their offspring retained the hive instincts, but their programming was weaker, as were the toxins they produced. Instead of targeting individuals, the new hybrid hive rats began attacking humans whenever they could find them, and although it now took several bites to bring down their prey, they were many. The queens, rather than dying, grew strong on the meat they were brought, and the colonies began to split, and spread.

There is nowhere to hide. They can smell you, see you, hear you wherever you go. No matter how far you run, or how deep you dig, they will gnaw their way in. Some of the remaining humans have retreated to isolated islands, but it is only a matter of time. They are coming for you.

This is a rough doodle for one of the soldier rats - at the moment he's got some snake-like stuff but I'm going to noodle around with spider parts instead.
    Name:  HiveRat_sketch01_web.jpg
Views: 1752
Size:  64.1 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to deSelby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is what I've been messing with so far. The horned gorilla was aimed for high strength and aggression, but I feel its just too simple so I'd have to mess with it more before i can be happy. I wanted to mess around with bugs a bit - tried doing a mantis, but that's feeling generic too so I've decided later ill try to see what happens if I mix it a bit with a jumping spider. Most fond of the feline for a nice blend of speed and strength. Even my small house cat can scare me sometimes in the night and he's supposed to be a cuddly fur ball so.... More than likely I'll play most with the feline idea and give it more mutations than what currently present.

Name:  Creature_WIP1.jpg
Views: 2235
Size:  236.9 KB

Thanks
    @deSelby: Thanks for the comments, I agree on the snake fangs. I originally had them hanging out (with more teeth) croc-style but I can see how having them follow more snake-like mechanics could me interesting, I'll keep at it. Re: your design, I also considered doing a tiny assassin-type creature and I think its a very cool concept. The only part that seems a little incongruous to me at the moment is the scales (feathers?).

@DryShave: I think the cat you have there is the stronger design so far, I especially like what you've done with the facial features and the herp tail. Cats are indeed creepers. I think the gorilla with the horn mostly reads as too similar to the original animal right now by comparison.

EDIT: Heres iteration 2. I think I can still push it further/add more. MORE ARMS THAT IS. I'd like to add some more insect-like characteristics as well, maybe, to justify the extra limbs. I also emphasized the croc more.
    Last edited by jabbie; November 6th, 2015 at 05:15 PM.
    -- No Follow Through --
    CA.org Sketchbook
    Tumblr

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jabbie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Little bit of progress. Considering mutating the "pinky" toe into a mantis claw that folds back against the forearm when not in use, but every way I sketched it out it looked like a weird, short bat wing thing. So if i can't get it in another sketch or two, it's probably not going to happen. Mixing large predatory cat as base shape, speed, strength, with armadillo lizard for defensive skin and spiky display of aggressiveness ...stuff, with fennec hearing to sense prey (even underground apparently). Might go even further with it - have an idea, but I'll have to see if I can even accurately paint cuttlefish camo effect into some of the legs/body without it looking like I simply messed up hahahaha

@ DeSelby - Rats are a very interesting choice considering probably over 90% of all laboratory experiments on live subjects are done on rats. Intending them to aim for assassinations makes sense too with their ability to infest whole cities, yet go mostly unnoticed.

Name:  Dryshave genetically Manufactured Superbeast WIP2.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  104.7 KB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DryShave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Arbinn: 2 would be my favourite, although it looks quite awkward in that pose. I think realistically (what a word for this round!) the arms / wings would get in the way of each other a lot, could you move the second pair somewhere else? What if it's back legs were wings too, and it was never designed to land...?
    jabbie: Liking the extra legs. It has a nice flow without the feeling that it's going to trip over itself. Not sure I can add anything useful, although I would be careful not to over clutter it with too much detail.
    deSelby: The head it truly terrifying. Will be interesting to see what happens with the rest of the creature. Not sure about those scales either, but maybe some insectoid bee parts would push the hive concept more in a visual sense.
    Dryshave: I liked that gorilla, but I agree it needed a few more elements to make it work.

Here are my initial sketches. I'm working backwards on this, as I really want to use a lion fish as an element but need to decide on a base creature.
    My design is aiming towards "most poisonous thing alive". I will be doing more research into such creatures, and may go into frogs and spiders and things. Critique welcome.

Name:  Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  176.7 KB
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Aiming for that break out creeper atmosphere - alarms and such during emergency power. Working at 1k pixels wide trying to force myself not to zoom in and detail too much as I go, but now that i am into detailing a bit the pixel/fuzzy edges really pains me. Might at least double the resolution to get crispy edges back. 3.3k is usually base I start at for most work, but then I end up dropping 15+ hours polishing whatever it is obsessively. I don't know...

I guess I'm struggling with whether or not it's worth putting so much time into art or if I should be focusing on efficiency/speed. Quality vs quantity I suppose. Something that really makes it not feel like quality has been worth the effort for me is a general lack of public (social media) acknowledgement/feedback/approval of the stuff I've been posting. Perhaps there is more in the art I do to why that is and I'm just not able to see it.

Maybe it's the subjects I've been choosing, or my composition is all jacked (have been trying to be more mindful of that lately), poor color choices, maybe I'm just burning myself out trying too hard ...The internal struggles as artists eh?

Well, anyways... here this thing is:

Name:  Dryshave genetically Manufactured Superbeast WIP3.jpg
Views: 1694
Size:  203.4 KB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DryShave For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Arpaktiko_WIP1

Introducing the Arpaktiko, or Predator.
    Alot of cool stuff in here so far.

Thanks
    Dryshave: I didn't really say anything that helpful before because I thought the lineart looked great, but at the moment I think all those greys and whites are killing it a bit. Are you going to break up the creature a bit with a secondary colour? Maybe in the armour? You mentioned aspirations of a cuttlefish design too, or maybe just some big cat markings would help?
    To sharpen an image in photoshop I duplicate the image on a layer set to overlay, then go filter - other - high pass then merge it back ontop of the original. Yes it looks a little artificial, but as long as you work over it a bit more it does half the work for you in correcting that fuzzy effect in my opinion. - Obviously this this would work better on your higher res original but here is an example. Worked some colour too.

Name:  Dryshave edit.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  187.5 KB

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Project Indestructible

Several decades after the Great Mushroom Cloud War and the period of societal and technological darkness that followed, the humanitarian efforts of the new science programs proposed to create a new lineage of pack and pastoral animals due to the mass die off of all non-human vertebrates any larger than a rodent.

They drew upon a group of eight-legged microorganisms naturally resistant to the harsh environment - the tardigrades. It was in ideal creature for an environment with fluctuating levels of radiation and extreme temperatures, and would be useful in a new system of agriculture.

It took many years to build a formerly microscopic and aquatic tardigrade to become much larger and terrestrial, but they introduced genes from model invertebrates who had already made that evolutionary leap, building up their hydraulic muscles and developing an efficient series of book lungs from the genomes of spiders and horseshoe crabs, and bolstering their structural integrity by borrowing genes to express calcium carbonate dermal ossicles derived from crustaceans such as stomatopods, which also had the secondary expression of developing their simple eyes into quite advanced trifocal convex compound structures.

Unfortunately a rival science program had developed a working lineage of pack animals much quicker than they, the Milking Mole, and they had run out of public support and funding to breed their tardigrade creature any longer. However, the re-expanding regional military had taken an interest in developing the creature further, especially that since tardigrades easily develop spines with slight manipulation, the larger version could potentially be weaponized. They named the development Project Indestructible.

Under the new direction of the military, they introduced a series of genetic modifications, prompting the genetic predisposition of tardigrades’ spine development to produce nematocysts at their tips, and bolstering the calcium carbonate structural ossicles to develop armor-like scales with a protective layer of iron compounds, genetic contributions from scyphozoans and iron-plated snails, respectively. Individuals were selectively bred for reduced second and third leg pairs and quadrupedal speed.

When scientists had failed to develop a functional set of wings from the easily manipulatable claws of the second set of legs, and military had lost interest in their genetic monstrosity, distracted in part by the threat of a hyper-intelligent and aggressive strain of Milking Mole that had began appearing in nearby sectors. Project Indestructible remains an evolutionary work in progress.

Thanks
    @ Moirae - Thanks I never really started using color until a few years ago. Otherwise I was honestly just scared of it because I knew I didn't fully understand how to use it effectively to help a piece rather than hinder. I tried before that with colored pencils, sure, but what i made was all crap. Anything that I actually felt confident in was always black and white, but I just started to feel like black and white was sort of "empty" - there's no emotion invoking hues and such, its just... there. Solid, but there lacking life.

Maybe as you're pointing out I still reply on it (b/w) too much, or something a bit too close perhaps because it's safe to me. My intent was to go muted blues against an alarming emergency power red here, but maybe I muted them too much. I just kept feeling like blue blue would not work because a cat just could not be blue. Maybe a slate blue would be more appropriate to what I ended up with. Here... I'll post the actual swatches i had set up. Even zoomed it in as far as i can before the pixels get "outlined" to also further express why I'll be increasing resolution back to my crispy zone.

Name:  swatch.JPG
Views: 1665
Size:  40.6 KB

Edit* : Also - is that greens or yellows you used to bath it in?

To see if that's what I was doing I bumped up both vibrancy and saturation and got something a whole lot more lively. Although now I feel like I need to go in and tone a few things back like the ear glow. Next step is to bump the resolution and redefine details. As a side note I didn't plan on skin patterns aside from scales along the side to break up the smooth bits. Still not sure how to do cuttlefish camo though - especially in my current lighting hahahaha I guess I'll have to just trial and error it until the screen bleeds.

Name:  swatch2.JPG
Views: 1670
Size:  45.0 KB
    Last edited by DryShave; November 8th, 2015 at 04:06 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to DryShave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice to see more people participating! And thanks for the comments! I'll write some feedback tomorrow (I always end up typing for an hour or two and I don't have the energy for that now). For now I just dump my new ideas here.

1 & 2 are basically the same creature with and without wings & extra pair of sturdy forelegs. I like the huge maw and arched shape but the wings would definitely need more work. I've been just using bat wings everywhere and I'd like to rethink that into something with more armor on it while retaining the shape and general feel of a wing.

The 3rd one has a pose I'm probably going with. I'll try one more pose with forelegs off the ground. The design was originally a warthog with a long necked bat head coming out of its mouth. The back needs to have more cool armor. I try to shape few armor pieces to look like a warthog skull (it should be subtle though) because I like the idea of showing some anatomical structures of one of the spliced animals on the other without making it a chimera. The swirly forelegs are just copy paste of a random shape I drew and wanted to try on the creature.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arbinn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Arbinn - I feel like 1 has the strongest silhouette. 2 is hard to see the secondary set of legs, almost to the point I wouldn't have outright noticed so easily unless you mentioned. The heads are very interesting too - is that like a shark on top and a hippo-ish lower jaw I see?

Thanks
    jabbie: I like the motion and flow of the running creature. Six limbs feel like a proper number to me. Adding more could clutter the design as the creature might become difficult to read due to sheer number of legs under it (at least if the final image was from the side view like the previous iteration). Something that bothers me a little bit about the design is that the different parts of the creature all have the same visual weight. The head, torso and pelvis all appear to be approximately as big. Emphasizing and exaggerating some areas would create more visual contrast.

deSelby: Welcome to CA! Just keep posting and making more art and you can't go wrong! I don't think designing a colony of creatures is against the brief. The story behind them is really cool. The design looks like a dog with it's relatively large rib cage and long legs. The mutated rat head with its large forehead reinforces the idea of a dog (rat skulls are quite flat). The creature's face looks believable: the snake jaw and fangs blend smoothly with the rat's face.

DryShave: Spending a ton of time on your artwork and not being happy with it sounds painfully familiar. It's a good idea to start small and increase the image size once you know what the design is. Also: going too high res is not a good idea IMO because it makes you feel that the picture needs more details. Don't worry about speed. It comes over time with experience. Focus on thinking a lot and asking why you make certain decisions while drawing/painting. I spent YEARS just drawing and painting on autopilot because I thought I only need to produce more art and practice more in order to get better. I became immensely frustrated when I made minimal to non existent progress and everything just felt just as difficult as it did years earlier. *Ahem* Anyway... Some actual feedback: I think the composition would benefit from adding more space around the creature and moving it to the right. The creature would also gain more depth and form if the red light reflected more strongly from the side of the beast. Now the main mass of the body is almost completely black and you can only see the edges. I don't feel like the creature needs more saturation. The original palette worked pretty well and fit the theme. The more saturated one does look more vibrant but does a stalking hunter in the dark need to be vibrant? I took the liberty to mess with your image. I hope it helps.

Moirae: Lionfish with electric eel looks the best in my opinion. The bat, bird and jellyfish ones have a lot of appendages that clutter the design but that could be helped with different perspective and pose too.

Lege1: Feels Lovecraft-y. The forelegs look thin and weak compared to the sturdy hindlegs.

Banvivirie: The creature looks unhappy and definitely gene manipulated. Looking forward to seeing some color on it.

Keep up the good work everyone!
    Last edited by Arbinn; November 9th, 2015 at 12:56 PM.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Arbinn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Concepts

Name:  Concepts1.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  190.6 KB
    Started pretty bad with the frog shark but began to do research on animals with the best senses/strengths hence the last concept. Any criticism is welcomed

Thanks
    @Moirae: you've probably moved on to something more final at this point but I like the lionfish/jellyfish the most so far in terms of concept. Can't wait to see how that one turns out! Thanks for the caution, I def. have a tendency towards over detailing so I appreciate it

@AdrianSandoval: personally like the rhino/spider the best of these so far. #4 is a little too close to generic mammalian predator. Looking forward to where yours are going!

@Arbinn: thank you for your comments - I see what you're saying and will try and push a little more on that (first efforts below, we'll see!). I agree with DryShave about your first critter, #3 seems very front heavy to me but that might be because of the pose. I like the thylacine/shovel-tusker jaw a lot.

Had to be away from my computer for a few days and looking back at my critter I realized it was about ready to topple over forwards. I decided to take it back to silhouette before starting to render. Im keeping the body plan almost entirely as-is but am trying to decide on final proportions/extra adornments:

Name:  COW_attempt3.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  114.0 KB
    -- No Follow Through --
    CA.org Sketchbook
    Tumblr

32. The Following User Says Thank You to jabbie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Final#1

Moirae: Very cool paint over for Dryshave and I like what you got going
    there. Thanks very much for sharing the Overlay/HighPass technique; I have neverheard of that before until now. It seems to work really well and I actually used that technique on my latest creation. I find it very similar to using the "UnSharp Mask" filter which seems to do the same thing but with more control on the sharpening aspect. I'm with Arbinn on the concept choice, your lion fish/ eel looks awesome, I feel that has a lot of potential.

Banvivirie: I would recommend keeping the text version of your concept more concise. Looks like visually you are on your way and I like the over all organic look of your creature; it looks very earthy. I would make the suggestion of stating that you consider making the front quarters and the rear quarters of the creature larger, especially in the front paws and rear for digging. Good luck with the paint out. Do you have a process that you will go with? Are you considering black and gray into color or right into color?

DryShave: There was once upon a time for me too that I was unfamiliar and scared some to work in color. Some of the best advice I recieved was the idea of thinking of the colors in black and gray scale instead of thinking of them as color. In other words think of dark blue as dark gray, middle green as 50% gray, and yellow as a lighter gray. Also, using saturation to guide your viewers eye to the focal point of the image always seems to work nicely. Your creature is coming along quite nice and keep up the good work.

Arbinn: I really like #1. I feel like the 3/4 angle combined with the dynamic anatomy of the creature really rock. I love the wing like arms and the face is indeed ferocious.That is great about Lovecraft, I have always looked up to him so that is a great compliment to me if my stuff even looks close to his. I agree with you on the fore quarters being a bit weak. I actually went off road with my concept and designed and finished last night that I'll post at the end of all this. I think I'll still work out the old one as well that you gave that crit on just for some extra practice.

Adrian Sandoval: #3 all day, the spider rhino looks awesome!

Jabbie: I love that you are using silohuettes to describe your creature in its primitive construction. I just watched an awesome tutorial by Feng Zhu about using silohuettes that I liked a lot:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxoNLP_6ok4
    Here is also another one on creature design which there is a part 1 and 2. Here is part 1.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yKxY0KKrak
    Last edited by Lege1; November 10th, 2015 at 04:34 AM.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dryshave: There is still a lot of white in the highlights, particularly in the rim light. In my opinion I think the creature's colouring is too close to its background (camouflage is useful but doesn't always make a strong image.) I agree with arbinn that more light should be added for some depth, but I would tint that secondary light source coming from the left, separating the creature from its background with colour as well as tone.

If anyone is interested I have included how I colour my b&w work. (Very scruffily in this example.) I have chosen yellow for that light from the left, but you might prefer something else. Oh and I laid a gradient on overlay layer with a warm yellow to a bright red from left to right on that original edit.

Will post some more wips later, and maybe some comments too. Lots of activity since I last looked.

Name:  colouredit.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  188.2 KB

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Actually wanted to pass on this one, but after seeing so many so creative and gorgeous artworks, I couldn't resists to take part as well.

But first some comments:
    Lege1: Cool creature you got there, I love the background here and the lion you added there. I feel like the picture could probably use some more contrast, at the moment is very bright. But on the other hand it fits to an environment like this.
    Something is wrong with that left front leg there in the background. I think you need to make the middle toe a bit longer, since the right front leg indicates that the middle toe is the longest of them.

jabbie: I probably would go for a mixture between 3 (tail & antennas) and 2b (raptor like toe) - Looking forward to the result!

AdrianSandoval: I also like the spider rhino the most so far - those extra legs on the side are super creepy and add well to the design of the creature

Many things I plan to refine here, mainly the lighting and the colors. The background will get a few more details over the course of time as well. (mine managed to break out, that's why it is in such a remote place)
    Name:  Chimera09.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  117.5 KB
    Last edited by Orm Irian; November 10th, 2015 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks
    Arbinn: 3 reminds me of a mythical creature you might see on a Japanese woodcut, was that a part of your inspiration? 2 has the weakest silhouette, and is screaming for something ontop like a big scorpion tail or something.
    Jabbie: Having things pointing forward contradicts the feeling of movement for me. If it really is running full tilt like that I would have thought any antennae would be blown backwards.
    AdrianSandoval: Spider rhino is my favourite too. Those legs at the side look vestigial to me, and as these creatures have been engineered every part of it should look as if it has a purpose. Maybe have them longer and sharper as extra arms for slashing?
    Lege1: The creature seems very close to the wall, could you open up the space a bit?
    Orm Irian: The angles of the legs and the wings contradict. With the legs the far one is higher than the front leg, but the yellow wing casings are the other way around, with the nearest one being held very low. If you imagine its wings as arms and shoulders it seems like the torso is twisting sharply at the waist.

Okay, wips. Dumped the electric eel and went instead for a lamprey. Do an image search for one, they freak the hell out of me. Thinking of having it wrapped around something like a the the bottom. Added a tapeworm in there too.
    Comments and critique welcome.

Name:  fish copy.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  203.6 KB

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,815 Times in 724 Posts
    Nice looking stuff so far guys! I'm really glad to see the activity pick up in here, even after the hiatus! Hopefully we'll keep this up for a while!

Just a reminder that this topic ends this Saturday night! So for those who still want to qualify for the Finals thread be sure to get your final entries in by then! Good Luck!!
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Hi guys. I am gonna give a try for this competition.
    My idea is genetically modification - armored rhino. I mix rhino and rhinoceros beetle.
    Here is my try, i feel like i picked to difficult pose for my current skill...

Name:  mutatedBeast_s.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  236.0 KBl

Thanks
    @Moirae: Oh right. I really didn't notice that, thanks for pointing it out! I will move the front legs in the background further upwards so they fit to twisted upper body and will make some changes for the lower body as well so the poor thing doesn't need to break the backbones for that pose. ^^ Hope I can pull it off, always struggle a bit with perspective issues.

As for your creature: Lampreys are super creepy, that's true! I spontaneously like 1 and 7 (the bottom one) the most. 5 also looks interesting, but maybe is a bit bulky. Maybe you could mix a bit of a grasshopper into 5 to get a creepy jump-scare (kill) creature.

@raganosis: I feel like you could take the mixture a bit further, maybe even add animals which aren't that similar to each other. At the moment it still appears a bit too much "rhino-like" for me.
    As for the pose: I really love it!

Thanks
    I'm doing very slow progress. Been busy and tired after work. Switching the forelegs so that the one in the front is bent doesn't work as well as I hoped it would: the creature feels less dynamic now. The head may have too many details and other crap on it but I wanted to hint jaw bones and skull framing the actual head.

Thanks
    Tried to fix the anatomy problem - looks already better I think.

Name:  Chimera11.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  112.1 KB

Thanks
    @Arbinn: I kept wondering what animal(s) the head is from in your first WIP picture for number 2 (the one with the cuttlebone on its back). It looks very familiar, but I can't categorize where I know this from.

Thanks
    @Jabbie - I really like the extra legs, and I think the tail could work well, but I'm not sure about adding more stuff to the head - it has a really nice silhouette already. The idea of using silhouettes for poses though is one I should definitely use more. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

@Dryshave Thanks - whether or not you intended it your post has resulted in some amazing tips for sharpening, colouring and layout on the thread, and I can't wait to try them out when I'm eventually back in the land of tablets. Your linework is lovely, so I'm really looking forward to see where you decide to go!

@Arbinn - It's great to be here! Thanks for the advice - I was trying to go for an expanded cranium, but I agree that especially with the body shape I drew it looks very doggy. I love the pose, it is very reminiscent of japanese paintings and has a wonderfully stylised feel to it.

There is so much variety in ideas and designs here, it's really exciting to watch everyone coming up with such amazing stuff, and I'm stoked to see everyone's finals up tomorrow.

---

Well this is where I've ended up - I only have pen and paper so this is as far as I think I'll get... She's a drone from the rat hive, and is mostly made up of bits of rat and spider and monkey with a bee's communal instincts. I tried to bring in some more obvious bee bits but really the only thing that vaguely worked were the six limbs and the stripy bits that are supposed to be a bit exoskeleton-like on the limbs and tail. Antennae made her look like a cartoon martian, so I gave up on those .

I've never really drawn fur before, so I think I got a bit carried away and she's turned out a bit fluffier that I'd originally planned, but I'm just gonna go with it and say that this is a cold-weather variant.

Name:  HiveRat_sketch02_web.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  45.5 KB

(Also this happened - @Jabbie: a friend for your lonely croco-dog).
    Name:  HiveRat_sketch03_web.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  13.4 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast