Eyedropper Error, Wrong colours picked up

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Eyedropper Error, Wrong colours picked up

So... anyone ever have this problem?

When I use the eyedropper tool on a flat colour, it picks up a greyed version of the colour. I made a duplicate of my line work, set to multiply and am colouring on the duplicate (multiply) layer. These are solid blocks of colour so it isn't a case of it averaging different neighbouring pixels. The greyed colour that is picked up is really greyed (further to the left on the colour triangle) than it should be. It is not lighter in opacity. I'm using Painter 8.

Anyone know why/how this is happening or more importantly, how to fix it? Right now I am just eyeballing the colours which is always slightly off (shows up badly when converting to jpeg or gif).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HuB
    So... anyone ever have this problem?

When I use the eyedropper tool on a flat colour, it picks up a greyed version of the colour. I made a duplicate of my line work, set to multiply and am colouring on the duplicate (multiply) layer. These are solid blocks of colour so it isn't a case of it averaging different neighbouring pixels. The greyed colour that is picked up is really greyed (further to the left on the colour triangle) than it should be. It is not lighter in opacity. I'm using Painter 8.

Anyone know why/how this is happening or more importantly, how to fix it? Right now I am just eyeballing the colours which is always slightly off (shows up badly when converting to jpeg or gif).

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Need more information:

What colors are on the Canvas, below the area where you're clicking with the Dropper tool?

What color is your line work?

Is the original line work Layer also the same color?

Is the original line work Layer also set to Composite Method Multiply?

Are either of the Layers set to Opacity below 100%

If you change the Layers' Composite Methods to Default, then click with the Dropper tool, do you get the expected color?

What brush variant are you using?

Have you made any setting adjustments to that brush variant?

Is the brush variant set to 100% Opacity?

Are you using a brush variant for which the Method name contains the word "Buildup"?

Are you using a brush variant for which the Subcategory name contains the word "Grainy"?

Are you using a brush variant for which the Resaturation slider is below 100% and the Bleed slider is set to the right of the Resaturation slider? (If so, and if you're actually painting on a Layer with linework on it, you could be picking up color from the linework (i.e. smearing it and blending it with your painting color).

Anything else these questions make you think of that might help?

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Hi Jinny,
    Thanks for the troubleshooting. Your questions helped me think of what might be the problem so I did a few tests. It turns out my problem is related to me not understanding how the different layers work.

I knew that using the dropper tool where colours overlap over different layers would give me the resulting mixed colour, but I didn't consider that the canvas/paper colour would have the same effect. I had set it to a very light grey (pure white was too harsh to look at) but I was so used to seeing that grey that I thought it was white.

When I picked up a colour with the eyedropper, it was mixing the original colour I used with the grey of the canvas so any new spot I painted would be greyed instead of the original. If I then used the dropper to pick up from that new spot, it would then create an even more grey colour.

There was a second reason I didn't think of paper colour. I was using 100% opacity covering brushes on the layer so I didn't expect the paper colour to show through since opaque means just that. If I picked 100% saturated yellow, then I expected to see that particular yellow regardless of what's underneath whether white, grey, or even black. That seems to be true for regular layers but not multiply. After reading up in the Help pages, that's confirmed. Too bad I didn't read them before but I have a tendency to jump into things instead of reading manuals for hours.

Anyhow, problem solved - not very sophisticated solution but I just changed the layer type to default, moved the linework on top. Thanks again for the leads. It's awesome how much help you give on the forums - very much appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi HuB,

I'm glad to hear my questions led you to understanding what was going on.

I've noticed that even when I use the Pens' Flat Color variant with color opacity at 100% and the Layer set to Composite Method Default, it's still possible to see the grey below the Layer and picking with the Dropper tool when the brushstroke is above a light grey and when it's above the white Canvas, the RGB values change just slightly from my original color used to paint the brushstroke.

This is true when this brush variant is set to either Subcategory: Soft Cover or Subcategory: Flat Cover.

If the slight difference matters, I think the best solution would be to add your colors to a custom Color Set then pick those colors when you want to use them again, instead of picking from the image.

Though I often urge people to take the needed time to read the User Guide, it's certainly true that things make more sense once we run into a specific situation, and the knowledge seems to sink in more permanently that way.

I still suggest reading through the User Guide at least well enough to get some idea of terminology and where certain information is located.. for times like this when we need some answers.

Thanks for your generous words of appreciation. I'm human and it feels good.

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 1