Thanks

DeadLurtz - Color and Light 1.1

Name:  Color and Light 1.1.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  291.3 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,748 Times in 4,648 Posts
    That's a very interesting face you have there. You have a lot of detail in your beard, which I don't think you mean to be the main focus of the portrait. Your right (our left) eye doesn't feel like a sphere. Time to push this up a level.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  Untitled-v2.2.jpg
Views: 1788
Size:  187.7 KB

Thanks for the comment Black Spot, although it threw me off balance as I wasn't sure how to get back into this. For me it was done but I'm happy I went back into it because I think I improved the portrait but I would like to know what everyone else thinks. So please, if I got it to feel better or changed something I shouldn't, it would really help to know!

Thanks
    I started with a decent structure, although I think I should have been better and my proportions are a bit off (I have already opened Andrew Loomis - Drawing the Head and Hands). I would like to know if it is recommended to start a new portrait, correct this one further or move on to the next exercise.
    Either way I started breaking done my mass shadow paying attention mostly to the fill light and the core shadows, for example where the hoody meets my head, but only by putting in my highlight and half tones did the piece slowly resemble a three dimensional head. I really tried to extended the fill light and the half tones conveying the ups and downs formed by the muscles and in parts the skull. I found that the half tones and the fill light are for the most part similar and provide a great starting point when putting large areas down. I would say the piece is middled toned.
    Any comment is more than welcome!

Here are my two comments:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...-and-light-1-1

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...-and-Light-1-1

Thanks
    Nice work man.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron Tataryn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Really good job on this painting. I am not good at light so i can nothing say about your light balance. but one thing is see is the proportions of the left eye seems to small. But is hard to say anything i don't know how it looks in real . Yeah head anatomy is the best thing you can do. I draw all two days skulls from mind it helped me alot.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Xocras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Xocras, thanks for the comments! Your right now that I look at it actually both eyes to me seem a bit small and I'm not totally satisfied with them, there is also still something going on with the proportions in general that I don't like. Also the neck is poping out is a strong way and toning it down might help the overall piece. Either way thanks for the comment again!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Really nice start. I think you should make a determination which value range the eye of the viewer is to focus in. Right now your value pattern with light and shadow both are being equally rendered and handled. Take a look at the portraits of rembrandt and sargent and notice how they choose one or the other to really play up information and how the other side of the spectrum is simplified. The eye cannot focus on both...due to pupil dilation. Something to keep in mind.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    Really nice start. I think you should make a determination which value range the eye of the viewer is to focus in. Right now your value pattern with light and shadow both are being equally rendered and handled. Take a look at the portraits of rembrandt and sargent and notice how they choose one or the other to really play up information and how the other side of the spectrum is simplified. The eye cannot focus on both...due to pupil dilation. Something to keep in mind.
    Thanks Jason! After taking a careful look at portraits of Rembrandt and mostly Sargent I noticed how subtle that choice is and wondered if it would affect that much my portrait. I'm up to here now and will keep on working on the piece. I took the opportunity to implement better composition, structuring off the rule of thirds and changing some features I choose to hide as I thought them hard to do previously. I must say it feels much closer to me. Will be updating soon!

Name:  refaced.jpg
Views: 1741
Size:  157.7 KB

Thanks
    Just wanted to make a quick update before getting to bed

Name:  refaced2.jpg
Views: 1679
Size:  155.3 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 6,748 Times in 4,648 Posts

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks