Thanks

AngieChan Color & Light 1.1

After a short break to tend to my house (my younger brother has been actively and passively destroying it), I finally was able to finish this. I did this in two sessions--the first 1-hour session was about an hour, giving me time to block out my basic shapes/colors. The second 2-hour session (I am sitting here postponing my dinner until I finish this!) involves refining the image and taking care of the details.

My room is a terrible place to secure a single light source, so I set up camp on my bathroom valet--which gave me a primary light source of a west-facing window and skylight. There is a bit of reflect light that comes from the light blue paint in the room itself. I know that I should have been focusing on the light/shadows, but given my terrible faces, I wanted to work especially hard on that. Of course, only so much can be expected with me as the subject. X-D

Lastly, I opted to make the background plain...I have to maintain some shred of aesthetic value...my toilet/bathroom door are not visually pleasing at all.

Name:  color light self portrait.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  91.8 KB

...I chose poorly regarding where I chose to place/paint the hair on my neck. I look like a bobblehead.

I suppose this would be a middle key study, as it is neither really dark or really light. There is a clear transition thanks to my window, but the shadows felt harder to define due to the bright paint in the room. The highlights are easily defined--I especially liked the highlight/tone effect on the part of my hair, so I worked hard to replicate that. I tried to focus on the cast shadows, but they were more subtle than I had hoped for (if I did this closer to sunset, I would have had lovely, defined cast shadows)

I aimed to control my personal specularity by powdering my nose before proceeding. (...I am sure that is not how it is supposed to be applied, but I hate being shiny) ;-) If I were to be picky, I would wish that my light source added a bit of a noticeable reflection to my eye...but there was none in this position.

P.S. I know the eyes appear to be "off." That is intentional--I am heterochromatic.
    Name:  angies mismatched eyes.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  129.8 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks