Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellerlache View Post
    I've noticed two odd habits in your shading:

Attachment 2258364

When you're practising: Do it with a purpose.
    Work conscious and don't leave marks you don't need or will ultimately lessen the picture, every line you're going to draw will be a decision, teach your brain to make the right ones.
    That's probably the most adorable critique I've ever received haha. Yes I do see exactly what you mean, it's a bad habit I've picked up I think I've been so focused on face construction that I've become sloppy. Thank you!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Some more head construction practice from YouTube as well as the start of basic shape studies again, I have to do lots more of these tomorrow. Got to do more life drawings + self portrait, I feel a lot more confident now.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Drew my own hand, I have fat thumbs (murderer's thumbs I'm told...). Trying to focus on the form and shade accordingly, although the middle finger didn't go so well as I moved it too much.

Thanks
    Some apples from life, graphite. Really trying to follow the form of objects more now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    Drew my own hand, I have fat thumbs (murderer's thumbs I'm told...).
    Look at is positively - when you give a thumbs up everyone in a 2 mile radius sees it and knows that you approve.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggeraz View Post
    Look at is positively - when you give a thumbs up everyone in a 2 mile radius sees it and knows that you approve.
    My thumb finally has some use! I never thought about it that way before.

Today I was pretty lazy and I just did these and some others that I've now misplaced.

Thanks
    Hi! Nice work with the drawings. I have few critiques on the proportions to hopefully help you out in the future. The face on the top right's mouth is too wide, that together with the jaw being very square puts the face off balance and makes it look very masculine. The girl on the bottom's mouth and nose are a bit too far down and don't leave enough room for the chin, the man on the top seems to have the same problem. Keep up the good work!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wedew3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wedew3 View Post
    Hi! Nice work with the drawings. I have few critiques on the proportions to hopefully help you out in the future. The face on the top right's mouth is too wide, that together with the jaw being very square puts the face off balance and makes it look very masculine. The girl on the bottom's mouth and nose are a bit too far down and don't leave enough room for the chin, the man on the top seems to have the same problem. Keep up the good work!
    Thank you for your comment! I do agree with you, I'll bear in mind your comments next time I draw.
    Last edited by Mika; August 15th, 2017 at 02:44 PM.

Thanks
    Did a couple more portraits thinking about the proportions more today, still a bit off but I feel improvement. Going to be doing longer studies soon again. Also did some gesture drawings and finally I feel like they vaguely resemble gesture drawings, I mean they're not at a good level yet but they don't look as stiff as they used to .

Apologies for the bad quality I have a shiny new sketchbook and I was trying not to be as heavy handed as I usually am.

Thanks
    This was good improvement! The faces look more structured.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wedew3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wedew3 View Post
    This was good improvement! The faces look more structured.
    Thank you very much

Some still life spoons on my new tan paper in pen, graphite and white pencil...I don't think I can ever go back to plain white paper this stuff makes me so happy. Still a few bumps in the road with the values.

Thanks
    hey nice improvement!i like the way you do your studies!my advice would be maybe to focus your studies on one thing at the time,then when you feel you learned something,move to the next thing.at least for me that way is faster .
    anyway good work and keep it up!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jodza21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodza21 View Post
    hey nice improvement!i like the way you do your studies!my advice would be maybe to focus your studies on one thing at the time,then when you feel you learned something,move to the next thing.at least for me that way is faster .
    anyway good work and keep it up!
    Thank you! I agree, I have been focusing on portraits mostly for now but I did get a little bored doing so many and I saw the spoons and decided it was a spoon day.

Today I tried some more on my tan paper, I messed up a little with the values, I am really not used to it but I like the effect a lot. This one was a bit longer than I usually do and I still have to finish the scarf and neck.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 822 Posts
    When drawing on toned paper, use the paper as a neutral gray: do not mix black and white!
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

20. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    When drawing on toned paper, use the paper as a neutral gray: do not mix black and white!
    Thank you for your advice, I took your comment into consideration and had another go:

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Developed Actively by the makers of the Best Amazon Podcast