Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellerlache View Post
    I've noticed two odd habits in your shading:

Attachment 2258364

When you're practising: Do it with a purpose.
    Work conscious and don't leave marks you don't need or will ultimately lessen the picture, every line you're going to draw will be a decision, teach your brain to make the right ones.
    Yes I do see exactly what you mean, it's a bad habit I've picked up I think I've been so focused on face construction that I've become sloppy. Thank you!
    Last edited by Mika; December 8th, 2018 at 07:49 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Some more head construction practice from YouTube as well as the start of basic shape studies again, I have to do lots more of these tomorrow. Got to do more life drawings + self portrait, I feel a lot more confident now.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Drew my own hand, I have fat thumbs (murderer's thumbs I'm told...). Trying to focus on the form and shade accordingly, although the middle finger didn't go so well as I moved it too much.

Thanks
    Some apples from life, graphite. Really trying to follow the form of objects more now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 763 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    Drew my own hand, I have fat thumbs (murderer's thumbs I'm told...).
    Look at is positively - when you give a thumbs up everyone in a 2 mile radius sees it and knows that you approve.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggeraz View Post
    Look at is positively - when you give a thumbs up everyone in a 2 mile radius sees it and knows that you approve.
    My thumb finally has some use! I never thought about it that way before.

Today I was pretty lazy and I just did these and some others that I've now misplaced.

Thanks
    Hi! Nice work with the drawings. I have few critiques on the proportions to hopefully help you out in the future. The face on the top right's mouth is too wide, that together with the jaw being very square puts the face off balance and makes it look very masculine. The girl on the bottom's mouth and nose are a bit too far down and don't leave enough room for the chin, the man on the top seems to have the same problem. Keep up the good work!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wedew3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wedew3 View Post
    Hi! Nice work with the drawings. I have few critiques on the proportions to hopefully help you out in the future. The face on the top right's mouth is too wide, that together with the jaw being very square puts the face off balance and makes it look very masculine. The girl on the bottom's mouth and nose are a bit too far down and don't leave enough room for the chin, the man on the top seems to have the same problem. Keep up the good work!
    Thank you for your comment! I do agree with you, I'll bear in mind your comments next time I draw.
    Last edited by Mika; August 15th, 2017 at 02:44 PM.

Thanks
    Did a couple more portraits thinking about the proportions more today, still a bit off but I feel improvement. Going to be doing longer studies soon again. Also did some gesture drawings and finally I feel like they vaguely resemble gesture drawings, I mean they're not at a good level yet but they don't look as stiff as they used to .

Apologies for the bad quality I have a shiny new sketchbook and I was trying not to be as heavy handed as I usually am.

Thanks
    This was good improvement! The faces look more structured.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wedew3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wedew3 View Post
    This was good improvement! The faces look more structured.
    Thank you very much

Some still life spoons on my new tan paper in pen, graphite and white pencil...I don't think I can ever go back to plain white paper this stuff makes me so happy. Still a few bumps in the road with the values.

Thanks
    hey nice improvement!i like the way you do your studies!my advice would be maybe to focus your studies on one thing at the time,then when you feel you learned something,move to the next thing.at least for me that way is faster .
    anyway good work and keep it up!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jodza21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodza21 View Post
    hey nice improvement!i like the way you do your studies!my advice would be maybe to focus your studies on one thing at the time,then when you feel you learned something,move to the next thing.at least for me that way is faster .
    anyway good work and keep it up!
    Thank you! I agree, I have been focusing on portraits mostly for now but I did get a little bored doing so many and I saw the spoons and decided it was a spoon day.

Today I tried some more on my tan paper, I messed up a little with the values, I am really not used to it but I like the effect a lot. This one was a bit longer than I usually do and I still have to finish the scarf and neck.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 1,059 Posts
    When drawing on toned paper, use the paper as a neutral gray: do not mix black and white!
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

20. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    When drawing on toned paper, use the paper as a neutral gray: do not mix black and white!
    Thank you for your advice, I took your comment into consideration and had another go:

Thanks
    That is a lot better. Her left eye should be more 3/4, though.

Sketchbook Blog

23. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Today's practice so far...not done a lot as I have the flu. That damn 3/4 view is doing my head in, the eye looks a little funky again. Next week I'm starting to broaden out onto anatomy of the body and getting more gesture studies into practice. Hopefully draw from life again then as well since right now just sitting up is killing my head.

Thanks
    Another study from reference - feels like a big improvement but I'm still not getting the likeness very well. Think the eyes needed a bit more refinement.

Edit; does anyone know why I can't manage my attachments in my first post in the thread? Says it's not possible something to do with DNS but I can do it on every other post.

Thanks
    Started the slow road to learning more about anatomy. I have a copy of Grey's Anatomy and I've been looking at some of the photographs in there and I tried out a skull or two. Also started off with Proko's figure drawing series with the bean which was surprisingly challenging I didn't expect it to be so difficult. Just goes to show how much I need to train my brain. Lastly did another portrait at a more difficult angle and I did mess it up a bit I have salvaged it as much as possible but it did fall short of what I wanted. Still having problems with lip/nose area so I'll have to address that again.

Thanks
    Last two portraits I've completed. I tried Angelina Jolie and I almost got her likeness, her face is much more rectangular/longer in reality and it was really difficult to get her nose at all correct. Then I did a quick sketch of a girl from reference. Need to do more from life, I might try to draw myself again from the mirror. Getting the true likeness is a new challenge.

I also have been starting anatomy/gesture drawing and I'll upload that tomorrow. Feels good to start something new knowing that portraits are coming along even if they're far from ideal they're improving in my eyes at least

Thanks
    Did some gesture drawing, 30s, feel a bit better about it. Tried a portrait of myself looking in the mirror I think it turned out OK but my forehead isn't that big (or is it? :L) and then a quick sketch trying out some new blending equipment I got.

Thanks
    Another drawing on toned paper....really love the texture and tone of this paper. I find it so much easier to work with and I think it's helping me out a lot with values.

Thanks

Woops that was a long time...

This year was a little crazy...didnít realise how much time has passed.

I havenít drawn much, but I have now got procreate. Digital drawing is a challenge for me. Working on lines and proportions, trying to get confident and just set the lines in quickly, I feel better because Iím not wasting loads of paper while getting frustrated.

Thanks
    More studies... Iíll do some more construction drawings soon to sort out proportions & make it look more realistic. Right now just trying to train my eye again.

Thanks
    Playing about with the Procreate app still, some studies of mountains.

Thanks
    Some proko...still learning how to draw on tablet so more shaky than usual, not used to digital. Even with the grid on doesn’t seem to help much, trying with it on and off seems about the same.

Thanks
    Slow down, stop scribbling, work yourself through http://www.drawabox.com

Sketchbook Blog

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    Slow down, stop scribbling, work yourself through http://www.drawabox.com
    Ah yea I’m starting to work through that today. I’ve been doing some proko. thank you for advice. Boxes are incoming.
    Last edited by Mika; January 3rd, 2019 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks
    Website is back, hooray.

Started drawabox again, still shaky but seeing the improvement. Will need to do more.
    Flower study trying to make each line count....suck at colours but that wasnít the intention (yet).

Thanks
    Your toned paper drawings are very nice and I really like your mountains. Your lines are a little messy just like mine when I sketch, I have the same habit of just jotting down lines which creates that messy look.... try to slow down a little and put less lines down, be more selective or better yet very very lightly go over the area and then when you found the line press harder so that the other lines are less intense, what I've found helps is to do less wrist movements and more from the shoulder, it seems to help with cleaner more accurate lines but its just so much more involved so takes some getting used to (I'm still trying myself lol) so what i do is mix wrist, elbow and shoulder when I can and it seems to help.
    ❖Old Sketchbook
    ❖New Sketchbook

39. The Following User Says Thank You to copaloro For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 36