Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thank you!

Today I've completed another quick master study by J.S. Sargent - I want to revisit this one at some point, I think I made her cheeks too chubby and her nose too long. Otherwise it's ok. About 30 minutes spent on this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    An update on the study....tomorrow I'm fixing details in the forehead, chin and nose. Plus detailing hair a bit. This portrait is really difficult.

Thanks
    Your value relationships are wrong. In the picture they are much closer together. Plus, at least on the reproduction, there are no whites pretty much. Those lightest parts of highlights are 25% grey or darker according to Photoshop.
    Name:  Study-of-Rosina-Ferrara.png
Views: 905
Size:  212.2 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Your value relationships are wrong. In the picture they are much closer together. Plus, at least on the reproduction, there are no whites pretty much. Those lightest parts of highlights are 25% grey or darker according to Photoshop.
    Name:  Study-of-Rosina-Ferrara.png
Views: 905
Size:  212.2 KB

Hi thanks for your response, I should have turned the original painting black and white - makes it so much easier! Thank you for pointing that out. I'm working on the rest of it today and tomorrow and I'll try and correct as much as I can of the values. I knew there was too much white already, especially around the nose and forehead, but I didn't realise the value set was that dark.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    I took your advice into account, please excuse the bad quality I'll fix that soon. I've left a few highlights but I might work them more into a grey except for the very tip of the nose and some of the forehead seemed especially light in the original.

I've made her eyes far too big as well, and her cheeks should be smaller. The nose is also a little bit off in shape. But overall, I think it's ok.

Thanks
    Better quality...still thinking that some of the values are too light and I haven't even started on the hair properly. The scan's shown me that the forehead needs work, but I'm happier with the lower half of the face. The highlights under the nose are hard to get right.

Thanks
    I'm back! I have some more personal pieces to upload which I'll do at another point. Right now I'm doing a master study as well.

I'd like to try to do some landscapes maybe I'll go out tomorrow to the park and do some.

Thanks
    Updated

Thanks
    Update on my current study

I'm doing more of my own work after this - I went to Chicago last summer and I have some good pictures. I would like to draw them so I'll be uploading them shortly. Next time I go I'll have to try and draw the same scenes from life and see if I've improved.

Thanks
    Playing with my Faber Castells with reference to an old photograph

Thanks
    I did some more figure drawing, I don't have much time unfortunately but I think it's improved. Still really bad at it. Wish I could attend life drawing classes, living in a rural area is a pain.

Thanks
    Some portraits, set of three from stock photos. The other two are combined imagination and life drawings.

Thanks
    Trying to draw more animals. I went for a snow leopard but I relied on a cat drawing tutorial too much to get the face shape correct and it hasn't quite worked, it looks more like a Cougar. Sorry for the bad quality...

Thanks
    Heres's a sketch I did as part of a drawing challenge. I got a load of art books recently, looking forward to testing them out.

Thanks
    These last two sketches are awesome. Also digging the landscape you did there.
    Keep it up!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GBizarro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GBizarro View Post
    These last two sketches are awesome. Also digging the landscape you did there.
    Keep it up!
    Thank you very much, it's much appreciated

Thanks
    I recommend that you start some master studies, in black and white, this will help you understand values, algo put extra attention to shapes.

Here's a head construction so you can use it for reference: http://figuredrawingdotinfo.blogspot...ure-notes.html
    "Know yourself. Express yourself. Master yourself"
    Instagram -- Sketchbook - Color 1.1 1.2 - Composition 1.1 1.2 - Drawing 1.1 - Illusion

20. The Following User Says Thank You to motato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for your comment and the link. I have done master studies before and I agree they help a lot. I'll start a new one soon I know shapes are my weakness, I've done some construction drawing today;

Thanks
    Back after ages - I only have a phone so these may need to be reuploaded. Had to edit the contrast for quality reasons because my phone likes to play up, but I'll scan them up in their original form soon. Pen quick sketches.
    Last edited by Mika; August 2nd, 2017 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks
    Ooops had to go and resize everything! I've been doing more and more studies of faces with Loomis and other resources I've found - I feel like the individual elements like the lips have improved, but it's still not fully gelling together as one image. It's been a while but I'm seeing some improvement.

Thanks
    Some practice of heads after looking at Proko's videos.

Thanks
    Tried to draw portrait from an upside-down reference. Sort of made him look like a love child of Steve Buscemi and I messed up the lips again but I do think it's helped me see the shapes rather than the features. Face should also not be so wide.

Thanks
    45 second gesture drawings and another portrait in progress. Still lots I'm not happy with. Might break out the watercolours tomorrow, if I feel crazy enough .

Thanks
    Your portraits are coming along! the steve buscemi one is especially good for an upside down drawing . I think you just need to do more. It seems like you are definitely copying shapes you see, but you still need to break out of the symbolic, line based thinking even more. See big areas of value instead of many broken up pieces.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCowan View Post
    Your portraits are coming along! the steve buscemi one is especially good for an upside down drawing . I think you just need to do more. It seems like you are definitely copying shapes you see, but you still need to break out of the symbolic, line based thinking even more. See big areas of value instead of many broken up pieces.
    Thank you for your advice, I know that I need to draw from life, I just need to find a willing victim! I feel like I'm slowly getting there. Value is always a challenge for me because I just like to make everything as dark as possible even if it isn't that in reality.

Thanks
    Some gesture drawings, 30s and 1min. Also did a still life in graphite pencil but it's not finished yet. Still have to adjust some of the values.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    Thank you for your advice, I know that I need to draw from life, I just need to find a willing victim! I feel like I'm slowly getting there. Value is always a challenge for me because I just like to make everything as dark as possible even if it isn't that in reality.
    Haha willing victim is right. You could always look in a mirror. You need a head, you have a head!

Thanks
    I did a self-portrait in front of the mirror, I suppose there is some resemblance but not a lot. Still, seems to be some improvement. After that I tried some free material I found on YouTube from the New Masters Academy and it has really helped, so far only done forward facing and portrait but I like their approach more than some others I have found. Going to complete the tutorial a bit more tomorrow and try and get those pesky side angles down. Instead of doing full gesture drawing I did these shapes (I've seen them lots before can't remember what they're really called) to try to visualize the body differently.

Thanks
    Been trying a master study, not got the proportions quite correct and I was a bit heavy handed on the lips, but it's helping me with value. Have to finish it later unfortunately.

Thanks
    I've noticed two odd habits in your shading:

Name:  shading.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  77.0 KB

When you're practising: Do it with a purpose.
    Work conscious and don't leave marks you don't need or will ultimately lessen the picture, every line you're going to draw will be a decision, teach your brain to make the right ones.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Kellerlache For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 36