Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyBoyB View Post
    Your master studies are great! And I really like the flow of lines in your charcoal drawing.
    As goes for life studies, try to find the focal points for things you draw like with the handkerchief box. It's a little off now. I know I struggle with it a lot, I was drawing some squarish bowl and my brain could not process the perspective properly trying to force the left hemisphere symbolic point of view until I put guidelines on paper and suddenly it clicked.
    As goes for Ctrl+Paint, it's a great site. Matt Kohr is really good in explaining drawing and painting stuff. I think I was disappointed in only one of his paid courses.
    Thank you!

I see your point now - seems that despite doing perspective studies, I don't apply what I learnt to my life drawing which I now realise, so thanks a lot!

I think I'm going to try one of the paid lessons on Ctrl+Paint, seeing as they're cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Check out some of Stan Prokopenko's tutorials on anatomy too. They are pretty good.

http://www.stanprokopenko.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to UglyBoyB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @UglyBoyB Thanks a lot, I'm certainly going to look at those!

So I'm in a full time job now and I don't have as much time as before to do drawings. But here are some studies from life (and the apples uploaded in a better quality).

I draw in my living room at midday which has very strong light - however this means that the light changes very quickly and so I'm trying to draw quick enough to capture it! Drawing fast is helping me get the forms quicker, hopefully soon I will have the time to start a full drawing and complete it. These were all under 10 minutes to draw and even in that time frame I missed the light (especially in the last set of jugs and cups).
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Mika; December 5th, 2015 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks
    Ctrl+Paint is a great resource, keep with it, as with your charcoal studies can't say much as I'm about to start using it, you can give me some tips.

You are doing the right studies in the right path, doing fundamentals, but don't forget doing stuff for your own entretaiment as you can grow tired. do things for fun man.

Keep the good work.
    "Know yourself. Express yourself. Master yourself"
    Instagram -- Sketchbook - Color 1.1 1.2 - Composition 1.1 1.2 - Drawing 1.1 - Illusion

7. The Following User Says Thank You to motato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @motato thanks for your advice, yeah I know what you mean - it's really nice to do your own interests in art now and again. So I did some still lives, I love still life! [Does that make me odd?]

But I've been very busy recently...full time job....people getting married and dragging me to weddings etc etc....

Here is a 1.5 hour still life using a 4B pencil. I'm quite happy with it! I like the jug.

Thanks
    graphite pencil

Thanks
    Keep your working !! Focus gesture line, perspective and landmark ( figure drawing ) !!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to féfé73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Im going to re-do this one as a proper drawing I tried it as a sketch 5-10 min this is the result I think it could be a lovely full-sized piece to try.

Marilyn Monroe graphite pencil

Thanks
    Tried drawing wonderwoman in pencil and ink ~15 min?
    Last edited by Mika; November 26th, 2015 at 08:07 AM.

Thanks
    Self portrait graphite pencil from life
    Last edited by Mika; November 26th, 2015 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks
    I saw this image and I really wanted to draw it, here is the result. Took I think 20 minutes? Tried to be a little less heavy handed this time....

Thanks
    In that last image you should of put a frame around the sketch, at least for me the big appeal of that reference is the composition. The rest of the stuff looks good, lots of studies is good, maybe a few more personal pieces would be nice, you need to apply this stuff your learning and if you don't do personal things for a long time its get harder to do them, they call it study sickness, you don't want that XD. anyway keep going!
    "The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

DA

Sketch Book

17. The Following User Says Thank You to EleMont For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EleMont View Post
    In that last image you should of put a frame around the sketch, at least for me the big appeal of that reference is the composition. The rest of the stuff looks good, lots of studies is good, maybe a few more personal pieces would be nice, you need to apply this stuff your learning and if you don't do personal things for a long time its get harder to do them, they call it study sickness, you don't want that XD. anyway keep going!

Hi thanks for the comment, guess I forgot to say I'm actually trying to do a drawing challenge and I meant to only do the figure for today. I do see what you mean though, it would be nice to have put some more background in and/or a frame.

I'm starting to do a lot more personal pieces, I still enjoy referencing from photos a lot and I'm gradually trying to deviate from them, using the photo more just for anatomical references. I still need more confidence I don't feel ready to do things totally from the mind yet [I get so angry when it looks bad >< which isn't right].

Thanks for your comment, means a lot!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    Hi thanks for the comment, guess I forgot to say I'm actually trying to do a drawing challenge and I meant to only do the figure for today. I do see what you mean though, it would be nice to have put some more background in and/or a frame.

I'm starting to do a lot more personal pieces, I still enjoy referencing from photos a lot and I'm gradually trying to deviate from them, using the photo more just for anatomical references. I still need more confidence I don't feel ready to do things totally from the mind yet [I get so angry when it looks bad >< which isn't right].

Thanks for your comment, means a lot!
    You don't have to do it 100% from your mind, you just need to get those creative juices going. Something I like to do is get nude figure in a pose I like and draw them with armour on or a cool costume, that way you still have something to look at but you can still make it your own.
    "The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

DA

Sketch Book

20. The Following User Says Thank You to EleMont For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EleMont View Post
    You don't have to do it 100% from your mind, you just need to get those creative juices going. Something I like to do is get nude figure in a pose I like and draw them with armour on or a cool costume, that way you still have something to look at but you can still make it your own.
    I agree I definitely need to try it, I tend to get a little aggravated with my imaginative drawing but now I shall do some, I think 5 years down the line is high time anyway hahaha

Thanks
    True to my word I've tried some drawing from my imagination, all I used were some worded character prompts to get me going. I got a bit carried away with one of them and started drawing stereotypical tourists I see around my area.... although my technique is bad, it's a lot better than I thought it was. I took about 5-10 minutes.
    I also did some 1 minute gesture sketches using pixelovely as reference, feels like my lines are cleaner than they were before, which makes me really happy.
    Last edited by Mika; November 27th, 2015 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks
    Finally a figure drawing I'm semi-proud of - only took me about an hour! Really worked on using tutorials to guide me and work out how to draw the figure properly. I got a little lazy about the cloth but I do like it overall. It was a lot of fun!

Thanks
    I realised I neglected to use colour for a long time.... and it shows. Here's an ugly-cute pug in unrealistic colours!

Thanks
    messing about in GIMP

I still don't have a tablet. Mouse is so hard to use to draw with.

Thanks
    Tried to do some more environments using Gimp... not used to digital drawing and colour! Good challenge for me. I'll make the beach one more detailed if I remember tomorrow.

Thanks
    More GIMP messing about...after this I'm going back to pencil, digital isn't my cup of tea especially without a drawing tablet

Thanks
    I work at a zoo and my favourites are the giraffe, so here we are. I don't like the nose it didn't quite work but it's a quick sketch. Tomorrow I want to do a more serious version in colour

Thanks
    I got really impatient and ended up blocking in the rest in colour...lizard eye in watercolour. My fight vs watercolour continues.

Thanks
    Update on the lizard eye - I was way too heavy handed with the watercolour and now it's really hard to get the light areas to come through. I added some more detail but I might go over it with some chalk to really get those highlights out, because right now the scales seem way too dull.

Thanks
    Digital without a tablet must be a struggle? Are you planning on getting one?
    Keep up the studies, the giraffe sketch is nice.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to toad_johansen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toad_johansen View Post
    Digital without a tablet must be a struggle? Are you planning on getting one?
    Keep up the studies, the giraffe sketch is nice.
    Hi, thanks for your comment!

Yes any digital work I do I use a mouse instead of a tablet, it's slow going and not accurate. I'm planning on getting one in the [hopefully near] future.

Thanks
    Some more gesture sketches - pen, 45 seconds. Felt a lot easier to do these today!

Thanks
    More watercolour fights

Thanks
    More on the lizard eye - working in the scales now.

I think it might be salvageable.

Thanks
    Keep it up, looking good!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Audrey Hepburn For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 36