WE NEED GRAPHIC LAYOUT CONCEPTS
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: WE NEED GRAPHIC LAYOUT CONCEPTS

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,552 Times in 2,164 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation WE NEED GRAPHIC LAYOUT CONCEPTS

Do you have some ideas on what a cool news page could look like on this site? We hope so. We need your help to get the site updated and are hoping to get some good ideas on layout and design. (we are keeping the current colors and logos for the time being).

Here are some ideas for the newspage design. We have some people to help with the programming...but we need someone to help with a layout.

any help would be greatly appreciated by everyone on the site.

.................................................. ..........................

we want these sections on the news page (in order of importance)

1 daily news
    2andrew jones self portrait of the day
    3latest thread topics..
    4 employment opportunities
    4.5 Featured Artists
    5 contests and thunderdome
    6 tutorials
    7 the images of conceptart.org (will have a gallery page of forum images that this area will link to)
    8 the best of the forums
    9 favorite links section
    10 links to the forums, the main page (probably on the top of the page somewhere)
    11 affilliates and sponsors
    12 whos online

take a look at www.cgchannel.com and www.gfxartist.com to see how they do their news page. we want a layout that looks good but is also easy and clean. that is why i like how gfxartist looks..its very easy to find stuff.

we want thumbnail images next to each section above...that way the coders/programmers can know where to put the links and will know how many we need. this site is about the art and we want to show it off...not just the text.

if the amount of info starts to look busy we could do something more like this (BUT WITH THUMBNAILS TO ILLUSTRATE THE NEWS TOPICs) http://www.bioware.com/

perhaps you have some ideas on how it can look...Im really hoping this is the case.

please feel free to ask me any questions you like.

j

we just need a quick layout...it doesnt have to be perfect...it just needs to be rough so the programmers can get started.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Id love to help out, but I dont have access to Photoshop anymore =\
    Maybe if I can find a way Ill try to give a rough design =).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooo

I may give this a shot.

So what if I made some html templates
    then your programmers could turn them to php-perl or whatever you plan on running?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that is exactly what i am thinking of...

we need a concept to approve and then we can build a final html layout template

amphex..surely one of your pals has photoshop.

come on peeps...help us all out and contribute to something we can all be proud of.

the programmers are going to make it all work...and its going to be great!

jason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    working on geting you some help here in a day or two from the guys that did cg channel and cg talks !

id like to see something simple like this with grey while boring it doesnt take away from pics

http://forum.bhodinut.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lets use the same color scheme as the rest of conceptart.org for now...or at least tie it in....we may do a full redesign at some point...but for now this is working and will suffice.

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OOps sorry i thought you meant a whole new design i like the current one the way it is i thought youwere going to change it sorry about that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Id like to do a total redesign on the site...but i think its proving to be something that will take a considerable amount of effort.

Im thinking that we could just get all the features added and then throw a new skin on it...so to speak.

what do you think?

THANKS FOR THE INPUT AND HELP GUYS!!!

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fitting all that in to the current design is really hard.
    I've been messing with it, but it looks horrid so far.

Don't let my posts discourage others from making templates, I really don't think much of my self when It comes to clean html.

I think it may be easier for us to come up with a whole new layout (not colors, logo or anything.)
    If this is to be done we will need at least the names of the fonts that where used to make the banners and images.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THINK SIMPLE....it is not something that has to be pretty.

I will find out what the fonts are...my machine died and I have to go find them again...yikes.

use the exhisting colors...copy paste a screencapture of the logo and pics on the front page....the forums doesnt have the thumbnails as part of the logo..but it should.

I will put some stuff together and paste it up here for everyone to toy with.

thanks for helping...I will try to get you everything you need.

dont sweat it...k? simple simple...

jason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    perhaps this would be less busy on the front page if we have more than two or three tutorials

TUTORIALS
    1 link
    2 link
    3 (more)...goes to list of links

or just

TUTORIALS
    1 Latest tutorial link
    2(more)

Im not sure how else to do it other than just have a cool looking tutorials button with a description of what tutorials are (need help with your art..check out these amazing tutorials!)...that kind of thing.

the latter might be the best...if we do a new tutorial we can have it as part of the daily news section

jason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you are... Is that in html? We should try and keep images down to a minimum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That would look great jens. I especially like the pics!!!

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    concerning sections like tutorials etc... i thought about a section that is like:

TUTORIALS
    (thumbnail) latest tut with link
    -second recent (only text links)
    -third recent
    -fourth recent
    -link to tutorial archive place with all tuts.

same with andrew's spods and the like. obviously, "most recent forum threads" can be text only.

another question: what miimum resolution can we shoot for?
    sure, not everyone uses 1600x1200 (what did make things a lot easier ) but we have a target group of peopl einterested in art, gfx and that... so probably invested a bit time or money in their display setup. i think 1024x768 at least should be taken as minimal resolution

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that is EXACLTY the kind of thing I was thinking...holy crap that looks great!

cant wait to see the next version.

jason

PS...the images that run across the top...it would be cool if we had a scroll bar that let you scroll across to lots of different images....just something to think about....since we will have a lot of artists on the main page.

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good so far, Jens! Keep it up

I just wanted to comment on the resolution thingy...I think we should aim for 800x600 minimum...some people like everything really big, and some are just stupid
    Oh, and sometimes you may want to access the site from a crappy laptop (maybe it's monitor doesn't support more than 800x600) or some kind of public computer...
    With the right technique it's easy to do something which works pretty well on 800x600...and then just make it auto-adjust so that it uses as much as possible of the window...

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah! Smooth design there! I like it!

What Pontemonti is saying is true... so should the focus be the look/feel of the site or the usability? (I HATE that word!!!) They are two very different goals. Usually you get the look/feel right first, and then you focus on layout, subjects (we call it 'chapters', and by 'we' I mean the company I work for), and image-heaviness. You kinda just filter the look/feel through the usablity critique, and viola! A site is born.

I'm still gonna make a design myself damnit! Just need to find the time...

What brick through yonder window breaks... ?

Oblio is offline Pointless. 1st CA student. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i feel so retarded that i cant help and so gratefull that Jens is along.
    So.. just wanted to say thank you Jens. I'm in no condition to think now - i'm completly overwhemed by other work i hardly reach my home - did i mention i don't sleep?
    Everyone - ohh, aaahhh.

brain.burned.oblio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Oblio
    i'm completly overwhemed by other work i hardly reach my home - did i mention i don't sleep?
    So what the hell are you doing here then? :p
    hahahahaha

franz Guest
    Aaaah, so this is where you've been hiding.. I should check the lounge more often and not hang out in the back the whole time. If you don't mind I'll contribute something too.. More ideas won't hurt I guess

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I need/request that the top of conceptart.org has something simliar to the planet___.com game pages.
    IE: http://www.planetmedalofhonor.com/

When you resize the page horizontally the large banner at the top moves seemlessly with the page.
    We using precents in the tables the page layout could be set for 800x600 but could be resized for all users.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :hh:

HULK SMASH!

:bash:

What brick through yonder window breaks... ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jens, awesome work so far (to bring the topic back to webdesign issues).
    the only thing i doubt is that all the thingies jason mentioned uin the first post will fit in this layout.

i love your approach because it's simple & intuitive. easy to use like gfxartist.
    everything i sketched so far that had a place for everything that is planned to be on the page ended up cluttered. you either had to scroll miles to reach what you want or had to click a lot of times to get to the same point.

the latter being absolutely inacceptable, imho. cgchannel suffers from that a lot, although offering great content.

things that pop up in my mind when i see your layout is: lots of space for the logo - maybe too much? i don't think we are in the position yet to waste space. maybe we chould incororate some useful things in the area close to the logo. like login/logout and the who's on-list.
    also, i am a bit sceptical about the rounded edges.
    don't they eat up a lot space that can't be used for text (=info - what the site concept is about)?

franz Guest
    Ok, I gave it a shot, one big image:

http://www.fahrschule-thues.de/stati...et8x6_v11.html

Beware, it's rather big (in filesize, PNG24). And keep in mind that this is what the page would look like when viewed by a visitor who has his screen set to 800x600 (you can somewhat emulate this if you scale your browser window accordingly.. to a width of ~800px). At higher resolutions the page would be wider.

I kept the current logo (but not the blue color, sorry ) as well as the general color scheme of the site, like you asked.. I'm not terribly fond of the logo though, I can't stand Impact.

Time for bed, more tomorrow..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the new website looks good but that logo has to go.
    It's so ugly.

i drew out two in photoshop real quick, i can sketch more out if you want?

just some ruff ideas, i don't know what your looking for or if you even want a new logo. But in my opinion, that logo is trash. One design rule is never use more then 2 fonts on a design, you got 3 there. You can use to, but only if they are simualr or match well.

Lemme know.

franz Guest
    Originally posted by Jens
    Pretty incomplete I know. But look at the dark vertical bar to the right of the page. I think Some stuff could be added there.
    But including that space we'd be at 906px already.. We should aim for a width of 780px, that's approximately the effective space available in the browser window at a resolution of 800x600, remember that the vertical scrollbar eats up space as well.

Franz, good job on the design. I'm not a big fan of gradients though.
    Well.. The way I see it is with things like these it's not a question of fandom but of whether it works within a specific context.. Form follows function, and every element should have a purpose. Take for example rounded corners, although they went somewhat out of fashion over the last years there's no reason to right out abandon them if you feel they're necessary to transport the message.. actually they can still be cool when applied subtly.

By the way, I think it's great to see that so many people are helping out.. The new site is going to be great! :chug:

franz Guest
    Originally posted by brokencow
    the new website looks good but that logo has to go. It's so ugly.
    I agree, in its current form it's not exactly pleasant to look at.. with the 3 typefaces, the photoshop bevel and all..

i drew out two in photoshop real quick
    Hmmm, something bothers me about these, I dunno.. but it's probably that - to me - they look too busy. Imagine one of those on the main page, it would take the focus away from the content.. And I'm not so sure if they fit the theme - to me,
    conceptart.org puts more emphasis on the 'traditional' values of art than most other communities do - well, that's my impression anyway - and this hitech look doesn't represent that.

Then again I might be totally wrong and just blabbing. We need the founding fathers on this thread.. Where's Jason when you need him?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off...thanks for the logo design randall. Im in agreement with you. Id like to see some others so we can choose which looks best. some color versions would be nice as well. Your logo is much better than the current one. Its very tech looking...which i like.

what might be some things we could do with a logo that not only looks cool but also says what this site is about? (ideas..drawing..painting...worlds...ya know)

as far as the design...here is another from elemental.

I think that the image above and the image of franz looks very very user friendly. I like that. I do think that they are closer to cgchannel and gfx than Id like to shoot for. Im liking the rounded qualities in JENZ right now....out of fashion or not...it looks different from the others and has the mainpage images as the primary focus. I really like the latter part. This site is about the art after all.

** the main page artists along the top...we can make a scroll bar that scrolls across the different thumbs that can lead to the current gallery sections or even new updated gallery sections.

the main page artists will be called FEATURED ARTISTS....the other artists we bring on will be called GUEST ARTISTS...we can show new artists every month from the forums. That would be great.

if you have any quesitons...lets hear them.

Im going to post an announcement to see if we can get a bunch of logo ideas together. Randall, yours is very close...at the moment it looks like a great logo for Feng's or Spinefingers section of the site. It is very machine like. I think that the site has just as much machine as it does organic. I wonder how that can be communicated.

Either way I cant thank you all enough...THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!....for helping out on this. We all appreciate it. You are inspiring me. well done.

jason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i also like the roundness of jens', but like the user friendlyness about franz'

Awww:mad: so many different possiblities. I like em all!

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.