Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

If you’re going to be an artist, make sure you can spell.

Miffed artist doesn't want to correct misspellings

The artist who created the now-infamous Livermore library mosaic that contains 11 misspellings says she no longer wants to fix it because of the "nasty messages from people who don't understand art."

Maria Alquilar, who complained that her name, too, was often misspelled, said she had been overwhelmed by dozens of phone calls and more than 1,000 e- mails since her errors -- from "Eistein" to "Shakespere" to "Michaelangelo" -- were widely publicized.

Fed up, Alquilar said Friday that she was reconsidering her decision to correct her work because the people of Livermore had been so mean.

"If I come out, there will probably be a demonstration," she said. "There is so much anger. I am so upset, I can't even think straight."

Alquilar will wait for the issue to die down before she makes a firm decision, but she said she would prefer that the city just tear up the piece, which measures 16 feet in diameter and includes 175 historical names and cultural words.

"I will consent if the city wants to pay to have it removed," she said.

City officials, who paid $40,000 for the mosaic, said they hoped Alquilar would correct the mistakes but had not received an answer.

Rest of article: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NGSK96KS21.DTL

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yeah saw that, its a pathetic example of an illiterate peon with too much unjustified pride.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Hahahahaha. People that spell correctly can be so mean! I can't even think straight!

What a goofball.

Thanks
    who would pay 40.000 dollars for this "piece of crap"?!
    i'm seriously shocked.. this looks really.. well. not good! and the fact that the artist misspelled famous names like shakespeare and michelangelo says everything i guess..
    really sad that people like these get so much attention..
    seems that nowadays to be succesful and become a "celebrity" you only have to get people's attention not by skill but by stupid, meaningless things!

Lim

Thanks
    thats just crazy dude. she needs hooked on phonics or something.
    cool beans to you...my friend.
    sKeTcHbOoK update page3 (scroll to the bottom of page)

Thanks
    its like one of those big projects that an entire class of 4th graders would get together and make...

I mean, look at it!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Maybe it's supposed to have a much deeper and thoughtful statement? Maybe it's a subversive comment about the state of public education? Hehe, nah that would be too clever. She just compares it to David's testicles! Hilarious article.

Thanks
    I just wanted to quote some pearls from the full article:

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate peon
    "My career in public art is over."
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate peon
    "When you look at Michelangelo's David, do you point out that one (testicle) is lower than the other?"
    These type of people give a bad name to the craft.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    well to my opinion, as an artist she has the right to "miss spell" thats her interpretations of the words (artist position is like being a God who reforms and rebuild things in the world)
    look I dont know why I love you I just do

Thanks
    Being an "artist" especially in this case doesn't warrant the mangling of any language.
    Interpretation is for subject matter not linguistics.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by that artist
    "When you look at Michelangelo's David, do you point out that one (testicle) is lower than the other?"
    Oh its very common in real life for one of the testicle to hang lower than the other! Mine is just a bit... lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by evildisco
    Being an "artist" especially in this case doesn't warrant the mangling of any language.
    Interpretation is for subject matter not linguistics.
    now you are just been a snob with language, she might want to express herself or telling us something by misspelling them, or are you seriously thinking that she didnt know how those names should be written I think she did it on purpose and she has the right to, and if people got angry= its a masterpiece !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    look I dont know why I love you I just do

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Egets
    now you are just been a snob with language, she might want to express herself or telling us something by misspelling them, or are you seriously thinking that she didnt know how those names should be written I think she did it on purpose and she has the right to, and if people got angry= its a masterpiece !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    From the article: "The artist said the names were spelled correctly on her sketches, but she got them wrong as she was doing the piece. She admits noticing "Einstein" was misspelled but choosing to go forward anyway."

I think she's just too stubborn to fix her own mistakes.
    Last edited by Cyrus; October 13th, 2004 at 05:53 PM.
    "The proper rewards are not simply tacked on to the activity for which they are given, but are the activity itself in consummation." -C.S. Lewis
    "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid." -Proverbs 12:1

Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section!
    -Cyrus' Sketchbook-

Thanks
    Seems to me she's a real artist, as in, could never be a designer type artist. Her work revolves around her emotions, as opposed to "correctness" - anatomy, lighting, etc. Things which are needed as concept artists

Thanks
    I bet (I hope) that everyone who responds to this topic is checking their spelling very carefully.
    - Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks
    vrery waht? caferullly? Pshhh!

i
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod
    I bet (I hope) that everyone who responds to this topic is checking their spelling very carefully.
    Well the thing is people aren't paying us 40k to post something wightouut typpe-o's

Thanks
    Sounds like sheer laziness to me. She doesn't need to spell well; all she needs is to grab a dictionary or run it past a spell-checker or get a friend who can spell to come by and help her out.

And if she had the spelling correct on her sketches, then I guess her excuse would be that she just gets carried away and doesn't care if she follows her own sketches or not. And in that case--all she needs do is to NOT PUT TYPE in her paintings!

Wow. Sometimes I wish I had a knack for fine art, so I could get gigs like that. I'd promise them to look everything up in the dictionary, too!

[Soon there will be spell-checkers even for posting on forums, so we can all be lazy! But as someone said--we're not getting paid the big bucks for this, so who cares? --Although truly awful spelling can often make it difficult to understand what is being said in some posts...]

Thanks

Some observers have commented that David's genitals seemed a little small, but the professors told the conference that measurements indicated all was normal.

"Taking in consideration this is a statue of a young man who was thinking about a battle that was about to happen, everything is normal," Professor Gulisano said.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E2703,00.html

Thanks
    "Moran" is a name in Hebrew, but something tells me that's not what he means...
    April: I don't think they have names in dictionaries, but correct spelling should'nt be too difficult to find elsewhere

Let's all shake speres then

Thanks
    christ, really. if you want to be making important pieces of art, they're probably not going to be murals in A PUBLIC LIBRARY. That's right up there with hotel and airport art. Completely sanitized, homogenized crap.

and, it's a library, a place that PROMOTES LITERACY! what kind of message is that sending if they can't even get their own shit right?

gahhh why do these people get work and the talented people go hungry??

/angry cotron

Thanks
    Seems to me she's a real artist, as in, could never be a designer type artist. Her work revolves around her emotions, as opposed to "correctness" - anatomy, lighting, etc. Things which are needed as concept artists
    Excuse me?
    Since when do "real artists" need not concern themselves with basics such as proper anatomy, lighting, etc? Drawing like a 10-year-old with no art education now constitutes a "real artist"? What a load of crap.

Thanks
    Beer Baron - You are a fountain of great articles!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    On a forum for people who are, or want to be, professional artists, the real lesson to take away from this is one of customer and public relations. People aren't pissed off at her so much for making the mistakes (although it is pretty ironic, it being a damned LIBRARY after all), but for how she handled the situation. The proper response, upon having it brought to her attention, would have been: "Oh my god, how embarrassing! I honestly don't know how that could have happened, but I'll do everything I can to fix it as soon as possible!" Instead, she got all huffy and defensive, said first of all it wasn't her fault because other people should have noticed the misspellings before it was installed, and anyway the people of creative vision she was honoring in the piece wouldn't care about trivial matters like a few misspelled words (never mind it's on the outside of a damned LIBRARY), but if they really wanted her to fix it they could fly her out and pay her another six grand on top of the original $40,000. And now of course she doesn't even want to do that because everyone is so mean to her and nobody appreciates her AAAAAAAARRRT.

So remember kids, stupid mistakes can be recovered from, but being a bitchy prima donna = career suicide.
    Last edited by Elwell; October 14th, 2004 at 12:41 AM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks

Thumbs down

Halfway through the article, I actually had to doublecheck the URL and make sure it wasn't The Onion or some other parody news site. I can't even begin to understand the mindset behind people this stupid. (Same goes for those of you who don't think she did anything wrong.)
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    "That's great man, but who are the Chefs?"

Thanks
    "Great Hoogily Moogily!"
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Sure wish I could get paid that much for producing something that crappy. Eye can missssspelll two dammit!... pay me!

She sounds like many of the "Fine artists" I went to school with. It's all about emotion and the "deep inner meaning of things."
    (Insert stupid, pointless, and offensive signature here)
    www.wayofthegeek.com My web comic full of stupid geekiness.
    www.carterillustration.com My website filled with freelancing EVIL.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yutani
    Excuse me?
    Since when do "real artists" need not concern themselves with basics such as proper anatomy, lighting, etc? Drawing like a 10-year-old with no art education now constitutes a "real artist"? What a load of crap.
    Da'Vinci was a concept designer, does that make him less of an artist? Of course not, I forgot the name of the movement (so sue me!) but those that studied light during various times of the day also belong to the "art thinkers" category and so do those that simplify things since knowing what to exclude is almost as important as what to keep.
    Where as "modern artist" can be an elephant splashing color on paper, a three year old's crayon painting or some bitchy women doing "mosaic"

Thanks
    I once did a mural for a hospital and later it was pointed out I'd given one of the doctors 11 fingers, a patient had two livers, and the "turn and cough" guy had one testicle lower than the other. When someone pointed it out I just cried. No one understands art. Don't even ask about the mural I did for the STD clinic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast