satriani

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Steve Vai

Eric Johnson

Stevie Ray Vauhn

Blues Scaracno

Thats all I can think of....

Favorite tune...Gotta be flying in a blue dream...

Thanks

Well....

For feel and Emotion .... David Gilmore, Eric Clapton
    For techical dexterity.....Yngwie Malmsteen( I get fed up fast)
    Spanish and Flamenco...Struntz & Farah
    Hot New guitarist..........Darren Malachian (from S.O.A.D.)
    My Favorite...................Dave Navarro (ex Jane's Addiction and Red Hot Chili peppers.)

But yeah Joe Satriani is one of the greats in my book.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Satriani has amazing technical skill but he's a little too flashy for my tastes. Don't get me wrong, I like some of his stuff but I prefer more band-oriented musicians like Jerry Cantrell and Stone Gossard.

Thanks

Yup.

I agree. Without a band orientated guitarist the overall emotional feel of the song usually suffers. I believe Ego transmits itself in in the music.

Thanks
    favourite tunes:
    i believe
    all alone
    rubina
    always with you always with me
    cryin'
    + a ton more that i don´t remeber now

"For techical dexterity.....Yngwie Malmsteen( I get fed up fast)"

i really like his style and he´s got waaaaay more feelin in his fingers than he usually gets credit for, but yeah after a whole album you kinda have enough for a while. anyway there´s a bunch ppl out there that shred him into oblivion.
    check out "francesco ferrari","rusty cooley" or "marshall harisson".

Thanks
    Joe Satriani's too much of a robot for me, his sound is too metallic...

Jimmi and Frank Zappa are good, and the guitarists from lynrd skynrd and Man (welsh)...
    Stevie Ray Vauhgn's version of little wing is nice also

that ywengie guy sucks, all he does is play really fast up and down scales

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by troymcoy
    Joe Satriani's too much of a robot for me, his sound is too metallic...
    that ywengie guy sucks, all he does is play really fast up and down scales

troymcoy's too much of a troll for me, all he does is write really dumb shit on internet forums.

i'm not about to diss you. i just want to hand you a mirror to see how and what you just wrote about two guys that really pushed guitar playing and deserve at least a little bit of respect for what they acomplished.

Thanks
    here are my 2 cents :

1st - John petrucci
    2nd - joe satriani

Favorite song from satriani : Crystal planet... just WOW !
    I'm a manky artist, don't mess with me

Thanks
    Please don't take those comments to heart Dan, i'm sure Joe Satriani wouldn't care at all if someone thought his sound was robotic.
    I have respect for his skills, but his sound is not my favourite.

Yngwies music isn't made good by his technical skills..and he's a bit of an egomaniac too

Thanks
    i don´t know what kind of stuff you like to listen to but no matter if you like yngwie's music or not, you can´t deny that he really pushed that whole bach/paganinesque neoclassical thing back then and still is a pretty big influence in (heavy)metal guitar(soloing). but he really isn´t the most humble person out there that´s right.

what do you think about vai? (when he´s actually playing guitar and not fuckin around with his harmonizers and shit that is=).
    is his stuff "roboticliquid" then?
    i think i understand now what you mean with robotic but i kinda enjoy that clarity and tightness. as much as i like rougher stuff like gary moore for instance.

Thanks
    for me, my favorite guitarists are....

Zakk Wylde-great guitarist who is part of Ozzy osbournes band and his own band (black label society)

Randy Roads- awesome power riffs and solos.

Jimi Hendrix-Creative and original.

Kerry King and Jeff hanneman of "Slayer"- they both play some realy cool stuff, i love the song "raining blood"

Kurt Cobain-awesome songs, had his own style and was a lefty. (playing guitar lefty is like hard as hell if your right handed)

in my opinion, most bands guitarists in today's bands suck. i mean they play moronically simple riffs, that i could learn and play with ease within an hour.
    i want some really good stuff! the guitar has no limits, play it to the fullest. don't play it from what you think you know, let it all out!
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Dan,
    Steve Vai is good except for his stupid clothes, I don't really remember it but Passion and Warfare was cool
    -and I listen to all music, Drum n bass, hip hop, turntablism, breakbeats, Guitar etc, except not pop and rnb.. and Metallica I don't like either.

Just a few other amazing guitarists: Burt Jansch - who had 'Black mountain side' ripped by Jimmy Page, and Paul Kossoff from Free

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    I guess I understand the comments made on Satriani. His abilities to actually write and compose strong music seem to suffer. Really he's just writing stuff for his band to play in order to make him sound good. That's my oppinion anyway.

Also, I forgot to mention Steve Kimock. This guy is a musical genius as far as I'm concerned. He's a very flexable guitarist and really knows how to craft a good song. He takes a lot of inspiration from old Jazz players and his inspiration from jazz composers like Charles Mingus is pretty evident in some of his stuff.

Thanks
    Satch rules. I've been listening to him a lot lately.

Seven String and Mind Storm are 2 of my faves on the 'Strange Beautiful Things' album.
    Surfing with the Alien is one of those albums that I associate with an era of my life....it's one of those ones I can listen to any time and enjoy....brings back a lot of memories.

SRV is so awesome too....such a treat to see him on reruns of Austin City Limits once in a while.

Others that I'll mention are the guitarists from Sonata Arctica and Opeth.

I love the Blackwater Park album from Opeth....eventhough the guy can shred way crazier than he does on the album, it's still one of my faves because it's just one of those dark beautiful sounding albums.

I love Satch for the same reason...there's so much emotion and feeling that it evokes in me. So many of his songs you just know what they're about even without lyrics. It's like he's speaking a foreign language with his guitar, but even without translation you just know what it means.

...also, not exactly a shred god per se, but I gotta give props to John Fogerty for making so many great great songs with just a few chords. He just doesn't stop.(his latest single 'Sugar Sugar(in my life)' is as classic as ever.)

Yngwie and Vai are pretty awesome too....but yeah, Yngwie could stand to branch out from the neoclassical shred thing and do more blues & just plain creative stuff.
    Vai...well he's great, but as great as he is, he's also very very wierd.

If any of you ever get a chance to watch the 'G3 Live in Denver 2004' dvd though...holy crap....props to the entire Vai performance/performers...that's easily the coolest guitar performance I've ever seen...and the Bassist....he damn near outshreds the lot of them....on a BASS!

-Rob(guitars ruuule)
    My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.