Thread: Level of Finish

Thanks

Level of Finish

Seems like a lot of these studies are extremely detailed. Is that the point of Composition 1.1. I admit my first two submissions went well over the 30-60 minute timeframe. What exactly are we trying to accomplish with our studies?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I was questioning that too. Trying to follow what everyone else is doing seemed kind of impossible in just an hour and kind of defeats the purpose of the studies. I stopped trying to make mine detailed and just stuck to treating them like composition studies where I just block in the simple shapes and values.

Thanks
    I've also wondered about this. I think by keeping the work less detailed we can possibly see the rhythm, emphasis, variety etc a little more clearly then getting sucked up into the intricate details. Also, we are asked to do 20 pictures...and if you try to copy it completely that can take quite a few hours, it is a lot of time on one assignment! ]
    if you personally want to go into that detail I don't think it would hurt either.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think the idea is maybe that with more studies, the quicker you can get at depicting shapes and then making them more detailed. I don't know if the idea of these studies is ever to get 100% accurate, as most absolute realism or sticking to exactly what you see is just a matter of rendering time but that's just my guess. As far as I know most art studies with a time limit are about you first grasping a concept, then performing it over and over and the result is that naturally you get a bit quicker (thus covering more area) as you gain xp.

Thanks
    You're trying to get the basic values and shapes correct. They said don't be too concerned with detail because it's more about you grasping those other concepts first but I guess if you're good enough as is it wouldn't hurt to add the detail.

The timeframe is just there to prevent you from not focusing enough on the basic structure. If you can take as long as you want then you might not get the basic shapes down immediately before adding detail. It's the same idea for a gesture sketch when they say you should get it done in a minute. You should maybe aim for that but if it takes you longer to get the basic idea down then you should take as long as you need. It's better to take five hours to get the basic idea down correctly than it is to take an hour and get it completely wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,742 Times in 4,645 Posts
    Yeah, I've been trying to get people to block in with a hard brush at 100% opacity to start with. It's all a matter of time management, and speed will come as you practice. Getting the shapes, values and then edges (in that order) is important. If you want to push yourself that extra mile, go in for the details, but you'll have time enough for that on 1.2