Thanks

Shady K - Color and Light 1.1

Name:  SelfP.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  218.7 KB

I started out traditionaly with charcoal, graphite and finished digitaly, purposely chose a 3/4 view since I find it harder and encounter more problems while working this way. Looking in the mirror removes the distortion you get while working with a picture taken with a camera and is way more challenging, I found it particularly challenging to be able to measure and check proportions.

I chose a mid to low key setup trying to emulate Rembrandt lighting, I noticed that the highlights stay in the same spot whereas mass light and mas shadow change when you rotate your head, cast shadows are essential to give a 3d look and halftones help conncecting both mass light and shadow.

I tried to apply some of what we learned in composition 1.1 like rythm, emphasis, variety, economy, etc

Looking forward to your feedback.

I critiqued the following assignments

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=317847

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=317738

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I really like the final result of your self-portrait I think you did a very good job with transitions and the skin and eyes are so realistic, esp. the eye in the dark area, that's spot on.
    The only thing that imho needs some revising are the edge shapes and texture in some half-tone areas (ie. the top of the head, under the ear, etc... ) They seem to lack some crispiness and definition that you have in fully-lit/shadow areas.
    <object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
    Last edited by Mouan; July 30th, 2015 at 01:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,742 Times in 4,645 Posts