Thread: Procrastination

Thanks

Procrastination

...is a significant problem for alot of learning artist,and perhaps some professionals as well, trying to make sure they spend enough time practicing every day(it is for me at least ). What do you do to get yourself started and then to keep going?
    "The proper rewards are not simply tacked on to the activity for which they are given, but are the activity itself in consummation." -C.S. Lewis
    "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid." -Proverbs 12:1

Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section!
    -Cyrus' Sketchbook-

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I try and think of how long I've been making art, and what I've got to show for it. Right now I don't have much to show for it, so I hope that motivates me to get cracking already.

Trying to find out the source of your procrastination is a key issue. For me it's frustration, lack of ideas, and too much time on the Internet. Finding a cure for those should defeat procrastination.

Thanks
    It's much easier to keep going than it is getting started.

I turn on some nice music and setp up some food/beverages

Hey, everybody procastinates, even Frazetta! (he made THREE book covers during the night before the deadline because he was too busy playing baseball) Not that I'm encouraging procrastination or anything...

Thanks
    This article helped me alot. Give it a read and tell me if it helped you or not.

http://www.dexterity.com/articles/ov...astination.htm

Thanks
    I had to force myself to go to the cafe as much as possible to get on a art treadmill. Ive hopped off a few times though
    Motivation...gone.

Sketchbook be here...

Thanks
    Aaw..procrastination is in my blood! I nearly always delay tasks and I am almost always late (school, appointments). And sometimes I could just kick myself for it. I was able to make a schedule for my homework last year and actually keep myself to it (mostly), but this year procratination struck again! Aargh...
    I will print the text from the link you gave kgb, and read it. (I find it more comfortable to read from papeer then from screen)
    -I am my imaginary friend.

- omg ftw teh sketchbook -Updated 28-01-2005- w00t pwn3d

Thanks
    Put on some tunes and look at other people's amazing work.

Thanks
    Now that you mention it, mtw, video games use to be a huge source of procrastination for me, not until college did I really stop playing them on a daily basis, and now I sometimes don't play even for a month or so. Since then, I can definetly say I've been drawing alot more; I guess it's just a matter of eliminating anything you'd do rather than drawing...now just to stop browsing this site so much.

Time to make my sketchbook daily again.
    "The proper rewards are not simply tacked on to the activity for which they are given, but are the activity itself in consummation." -C.S. Lewis
    "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid." -Proverbs 12:1

Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section!
    -Cyrus' Sketchbook-

Thanks
    I make my workspace awesome. I build a creativity shrine. I spend money on posters and printing awesome artwork to poster size and cover my walls with awesome shit.

I collect art books and toys.

I have multiple sketch books laying around my room.

I have a nice comfy chair with a nice desk that always has a clean sheet of paper laid down.

I'm about to buy an automatic tea brewing machine from Target.

My space is very important to fascillitate creativity. If you enchant your self you will enchant others.
    Last edited by RefrigeratorCo; October 12th, 2004 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks
    Great article, kgb. It hits a lot of the general points very well. My problem is the perfection issue. For the longest time I would set time aside to draw and when I was all set, I would just sit there and couldn't think of what to draw. Time being so valuable (time equals money, after all), I was unwilling to spend my time doing something that would be "great" (it still hasn't happened, by the way). So, after spending half my alotted time in mute frustration, I would just give up and game. Of course, as a kid, with all the time in the world, I was hesitant to waste a 1 cent piece of paper (so drilled through a couple 75 cent erasers per sheet).

Now, I cruise the forums (during my breaks at work when I really couldn't draw, anyway) looking for inspiration, which you kind folks have produced in spades and that helps me these days. I'm drawing more than I have for years and loving it.

In third grade, our teacher constructed an imagination station: a topless refrigerator box with the inside completely covered with pictures cut out from dozens of magazines and a chair in the middle. Neat idea. I don't think my wife would dig it, though.

Thanks
    I'll read the article later.

Thanks
    I employ a strategy that I call Reverse Priority Management. It works like this:

Say you have a list of things to do, the first thing being the most important or the highest priority. Like any good student, I used to start at the top and try to work my down. Of course, I would get distracted just by knowing how much other work that I had to do. Besides, I would much rather get that last key to open the last door to get the last legendary item in that one game then write a 15-page paper on population control. So in essence, you work god knows how many hours, yet it's not efficient work.

In comes RPM.

Now, you start by getting that last item in that one game and work your way up. You are effectively getting rid of all the distractions until you are forced to do the work that needs to be done. On top of that, you aren't distracted by other things which results in a much more efficient use of time. So not only do you get all the stuff done but you get it done in a timely manner.

Hence, *reverse* priority management.

/sarcasm off

I just load myself down with so many projects that I don't have time to procrastinate. It helps *tremendously* to be excited about your next project or four. Something to look forward to.

And always, balance is key. Give yourself time to relax or take a nap or play those video games. Balance is crucial!

A Morning Person
    Somewhat Daily Sketchbook