Thanks

visualnz – Color and Light 1.1

Name:  Self Portrait BW.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  859.0 KB

This was a fun assignment. Hard work though. I think the screens created a secondary light source though and I started losing interest when I started working on the background. I pushed it back by using more emphasis on the detail on the face and had. Probably could have done this more by adding blur to the background but instead I just keep the detail low there instead.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Ok..great to see where you are at. This is a complex piece. Before you continue on I would double check the planes and shapes and structure of the head. Once you are sure that everything is where you want it, bring the level of detail up in parts of the face (see sargent and velasquez how they focus up the eyes, with one dominant eye in focus or part of the face more in focus, so that the viewers eye rests on the focal area). Right now the skeleton part is so in focus that it is jumping forward up next to the hand instead of sitting back in space. Making a more dominant focal area on the head should be a big help in that regard.

keep up the great work.

jm

Thanks
    Hey visualnz,
    Great to see some environment in. From that we can grasp how the lighting kinda works.
    I like the rimlight/bouncelight off the side of the face that faces the computer screen. It's a subtle touch that gives the piece more depth.
    And quite nice work on the change of planes around the nose. It transitions well toward the cheek.
    But the rest of the face could use a bit more of a retouch in terms of how the planes of the face read.
    Maybe you could use more darker values to define your facial feature landmarks e.g. the cheekbone. I believe you have quite some strong features and it would be good to get that in.