Thanks

Digital setup for LevelUp..

I'm starting the composition studies and plan on using pencil. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for doing this assignment in painter or photoshop? I could probably get one extra study done digitally during lunch on my surface pro. Anything on brushes to use and a pallet to use. I get overwhelmed with the amount of tools available and just make a mess.
    Thanks
    Paul

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    You can use either photoshop or painter. I prefer painter's natural media brushes, but that is a personal preference.

If painter you can get far with just these tools

1. soft edged digital airbrush at low opacity (great for building up values.
    2. hard edged digital airbrush at various opacities (great for adding crisp edges or carving out sharp shapes)
    3. glow tool (with the color wheel almost down to black but not all the way). this works like burn and dodge but the color shifts are much closer to how light actually changes from one value to another.
    4. chalk tool in conjunction with paper textures (play with your grain and opacity settings to see how this can add nice organic or other textures...you can even make your own surfaces to use, which makes this one of the best digital tools ever). Google will have the details on the latter.

If photoshop google for the brushes by kekai kotaki and or jaime jones. They have some really nice brushes you can use to get paint flowing well. Hard and sharp edged brushes are key...as are those that make organic edges so it is not all overly slick and photoshop feeling.

Experiment with working on a single layer. Experiment with working on multiple layers using the overlay/multiply layer settings for doing value and color washes.

Those should keep things simple enough to get rolling. You can literally do just about everything with the above few tools.

Keep up the great work.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    I think there are a couple free apps to try out too if you really want to look around. one is called krita and the other alt paint. There are more too...but those are off the top of my head.

Thanks
    Brilliant! I could have used this earlier. Thank you!

Members who have read this thread: 10