Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: --Phuzion's Sketchbook

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

--Phuzion's Sketchbook

Okay, this is probably going to be documentary style sketches for the most part, with some concept pages thrown in for good measure. Basically, I'm not at all happy with where my skills are because they seem limited to solely characters, so I'm working on everything ELSE for now. Also, I can draw way better when I draw out of my head than when I draw from life, which isn't necessarily bad, but it seems like they should at least be on par, so I'm working on my observational-drawing skills. Environments, animals etc. So this is me practicing. Drawing from life, from photos, from my head, whatever I can. So, that said, shall we continue the tour?

These next two are out of my head using shapes or ideas I found in nature:

Natural History Museum:

Nature books at home:

And just so I don't totally alienate myself, gotta have at least one hot body

Okay, more to come soon...

-Daniel

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Phuzion; October 31st, 2012 at 07:11 PM.
    www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phuzion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you working on areas where you feel need improvement.. I think you do awesome work no matter what, I love your lines... Cant wait to see more! *click click save.....*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff Dan. I really like that first page a lot and those animal studies are wonderful.

How come you didnt tell me you were going to the natural history museum? I would've gone!

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Burning Eyes: Thanks man, I appreciate it... the search for growth never ends I guess, but here's some more ;p

I.was.ink: Gracias amigo! I need to do more animal studies... all in good time. I'll let you know when I go next... probably tuesday, but maybe tomorrow...

Jens: Environments were just always my weak point, and I've been feeling very limited by that.

HOWEVER! Here is a divergance from environments and such... just playing with my grey toned sketchbook, which is a perfect A4 size, so it scans in one piece ;p Always positive... pencil and gouache:

-Daniel

Last edited by Phuzion; October 13th, 2004 at 01:21 PM.
    www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phuzion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    W00t hot babes, these are always a welcome update... I also hope to grow, however, as of right now im very short compared to you! lol, I got a ways to go, but I bet you wont have much hard time getting used to new things, keep it up... Plz dont abandon this sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man I'm loving that last piece, dammit I need to start working on some good shit like that on my confetti paper. Can't wait to see your He-man concepts.

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow man, these are great as always. You'll be surprised how much that reference work creeps into the other stuff... in a good way of course.

catwomans hot

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SicFrost: Hey thanks man ;p

Ulysses: Gracias senor! Ah, the females... so much to draw and flirt with. I'm glad to know there's some life comin' through there for others. It's sometimes hard to tell with one's own artwork.

Inpho: Thanks man. I think sometimes I just get jaded about my own work... but that only happens when I'm sick of looking at the same thing. Usually all I have to do is switch up my style just a little, but hell, I'm still sick of my own shit after a few days, but that's how it always is, right?

Burning Eyes: Thank you sir!! And thanks for the luck ;p We'll see what I have time to pull out. I'll do what I can for sure.

Sok N. Wett: I agree, the last one is my fav too. A tutorial? I might do that. Could be fun... we'll see. Glad you like the ladies ;p

bRyaN: Right on! Mind blowing! heh heh, wuuuuurd. Thanks ma' friend.

Okay, here are some more animal pages, all pen sketches:

And one more sketch for Evil Lynn... but she ended up looking only mildly evil, so she's gonna need more work:

Okie dokie... more to come in the next day or two... hopefully. Peace all!

-Daniel

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Phuzion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I could look at this stuff for hours, really great work.
    The value thumbs are excellent, as is the 'random' girl, amazed that you can draw the same face in those different expressions.
    Animal thumbs are great too, though one of the lions has quite big ears.
    Evil Lynn looks really good already, maybe you can sharpen her features a little more to make her more evil, her nose and mouth are maybe a bit too rounded to look evil.
    Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,
    yeh as Buzz said this update is really nice, I can scroll up and down over the animals for ages. I especially liked the horse page, I think you captured the most life in them.
    You might have said this, but I couldnt find it.. where are you drawing these from? The zoo? Also when youre drawing animals like this how do you go about doing it? I can kinda see the construction lines within, the large shapes.

Nice stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I thought I replied on the last one, You draw some sexy ladies. You also draw some kickass animals too, I also liked the frames from Blade Runner one of my all time favorite movies.You seem like you can do it all, great stuff.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GReat animals man. I love the cats and horsses. I bet its paid off you've been drawing horses for a while hasnt it?

I'm assuming these are for your dynamic sketching class arent they? Ive heard that class does wonders for your draftsmanship and you improvement goes through the roof...I'm going to take that class next term. YAY!

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, those bugs look so good id even eat them....Anyways NICE work man, I dunno what else to say, seems thats the only thing I could say about your work is that its awesome, love your style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sok N. Wett: Hey thanks... an arsenal is what I'm shooting for.

Burning Eyes: Eat the bugs!! Do it! Do it! thank you much! But if you find anything to crit, please do let me know.

Jokisalo: Hot is gooooood. If you're keeping your eyes on me, I better behave I guess.

Undertow: Why thank you, I'm diggin' your stuff too. Post more! Actually, the colors were more inspired by Mucha, than they were by Middleton, though I did have him in mind... but I was going for those sort of subtle gradations that Mucha would get in his prints.

----------------------------------------------------------------

And on that note! Here is a tutorial of sorts. I did a slight redesign on Psylocke cause she's about the hottest thing ever... her and Ghost. And though the colors are still Mucha inspired, the background is directly influenced by Joshua Middleton. Anywho, it's more about coloring than drawing... I'll do a drawing one too at some point. So! here ya' go!!:

Step 1: I do a blue pencil sketch with Col-erase Light Blue (not to be confused with non-photo blue), then go over it with 2B graphite pencil as though I were inking it... And to clarify, LIGHT BLUE is different than NON-PHOTO BLUE!! Light Blue has a softer lead, which I prefer...

Step 2: I scan the sketch into PS and go to Image> Adjustments> Hue/saturation> Cyan and I lighten it all the way, which gets rid of the blue lines, leaving us with niiiiiice clean graphite. I make this into a multiply layer:

Step 3: This is where I set up blocks of colors on different layers that I can use as selection sets. Maybe there's an easier way to do this, but whatever, it works for me. This is the "Skin Block" as I called it...

Step 4: Complete the rest of the selection sets, remembering to keep them on different layers for easier selection.

Step 5: I add a slight gradation to each color block, just to break up the color a little bit. I chose to go from lighter to darker, top to bottom (except the skin gradation which was circular, starting at her chest and getting darker as it goes out). I also keep these gradations on different layers so that I always retain my selection blocks...

Step 6: I then select my "Skin Block" by ctrl+left-clicking the layer (this selects all the contents of the layer, excluding the transparent parts), and make a new layer above the "Skin Block", but below the other blocks. This layer I change to a Multiply layer, and select a color I deem suitable for the shading. I chose to keep the shadows light on the skin, so the color was a little lighter than the actual skin tone, but the mulitply function changes it to an additive process. I proceed to block in the shadows, making sure to keep hard and soft edges (cast shadows and form shadows) in mind.

And so it doesn't get too confusing, here is an example of my layer setup:

Step 7: I then do the same for the clothes. I chose to keep the shading for the suit, and the shading for her hair and sash on the same layer, because I used the same color to shade both.

Step 8: I added some blush of color to her face and shoulders, as well as a highlight layer above all the other layers, and just below the lines.

Step 9: I then took this splatter image, which is just a scan of some ink splatters I made, and went to Image> Adjustments> Invert... inverting the colors and values and slapped it behind her.

Step 10: Then, lastly I put a block of color behind the splatters, and changed the splatter layer to a Lighten layer.

There you have it!! Psylocke!

Okay, hope you found that even... remotely helpful... or something. Anywho, I out! Peace

-Daniel

Last edited by Phuzion; November 10th, 2004 at 12:18 PM.
    www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phuzion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice tutorial. Amazing sketchbook.
    I´ve never been so organized. I´ve to try it!

Thanks for sharing Phuzion.

Jaku

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting coloring process. I love this Psylocke redesign, she's one of my favorite X-Men too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent work Phuzion. I really like ure white pencil renderings at the startof ure thread.
    I think its really cool ure doing lots of animals and bugs.. not many people do studies on animals. Really cool to see.. might have to have a go myself.

Andrew Porter - Andy - Phandy - PHATandy

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is some Damn COol Sh!te in here.

I am really interested in what is referenced and what is not.

thanks,

-Joshua James

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jaku: Thank you. Organization is goooooood.

WillSchnevel: Right on! She's hott stuff... ;p Thank you

PHATandy: Thank you. Animals and bugs are a blast. I really dug the bugs especially, but it's all been great.

Sok N. Wett: Wuuuuurd, glad you liked the tut. As to the one legged pirate thing... well this one's for you ;p Nah, I kinda cheated cause we're doing a design of Treasure Island in class, so I knew it was comin' up ;p

Phuzion: Get the fuck off my thread you hack! Maybe when you know how to draw I'll think about shitting in your sock drawer! Punk ass bitch!

cateaic: You missed it amidst the likes of Marko, Milligan, Rusty, and the rest of the CA pimps ;p But I'm glad you're diggin' it.

jester: Thank you. I really wasn't sure if people would dig the tut or not, since it seems like most are flocking towards the highly rendered, or very painterly stuff, but it seems to have gone over well, so it wasn't a waste of time ;p

Majestyx: Why thank you! Nothing better than a hot female... cept maybe two of them. Anyway... shape, form... yes, thank you much!

Burning Eyes: Wuuuuuurd! I'm stoked that I reply to you (and Sok N. Wett) every time. Seriously... I feel pretty honored to have people check back regularly. Thanks for the motivation guys!!

Oregano: Why thank you sir!! I've been diggin' your stuff too.

JOSHUATHEJAMES: Right on, I'm glad you could stop by, thank you. As to what is referenced and what isn't:
    -All sketches on the brown paper are reference, except a couple of the bugs, and the robots (of course).
    - The Blade Runner stuff is of course ref.
    - The tree, and all the "human' figures are out of my head.

----------------------------------------------

Okay! Update time ;p

This one's for you Sok N. Wett!! It's a first pass at John Silver... there'll be many more I'm sure...

And here are some tribal odds and ends, done from reference (museums and books):

Okie dokie. That's a wrap. Thanks to everyone for the comments and motivation! It seriously makes warm and fuzzy inside. Peace

-Daniel

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Phuzion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great tut, she's both sexy AND ass kickin'

great work as always, cool to see the jewel studies.

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 1 of Graphic Novel

Sok N. Wett: Yeah, I'm still a fan of pencils, but I'm getting the hang of this whole color thing too ;p Thank homez

jungsangchoe: Ha ha! Thanks. And yes you may see more...

Yutani: Ah thank you! I've been working pretty hard on my line work the last few months, so I'm pumped that you noticed them.... nothing to crit? nothing at all?

xia: Why thank you! I'm diggin your comic work in your thread so far! I'm glad you could stop by here ;p

-----------------------------------------------

Okay, here is the beginning of my first serious attempt at a graphic novel. But! unlike the other times, this one will work, because I have a solid story, and I think I may finally have the skills I feel necessary to pull it off... I hope

Anywho, I won't say the project just yet... there should be a couple more pages in the next few days, depending on work and school...

Soooooo.... yeah. This is the first page.... a splash page

Yeah, I forgot to scan the other stuff I did today, and I'm off to bed, so maybe tomorrow. Peace all!

-Daniel

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Phuzion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man, that's "hella pussy". really though that one is HOT . i mean i actually got stiff lol. ok ...maybe a lil too much info. good stuff mang. keep updating

Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you just gained another fan, Phuzion.... your work is wonderful!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    that better be a girl or ill be mad atchu foreva!!..lol

Jokes bro,lovely composition,the empty wall area above her head feels like it needs sumthing,though i cant quite pin it down,maybe a faint texture?..dunno

Jace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn - I've been checking your work in the finished section and loved it...It's great to see your sketchbook as well.

I thought you were French for some reason..i dunno - maybe the style. Ha.!
    There's just something about your girls that makes people wanna see more of em..That's a rare quality my friend. Keep posting those girlies!

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adopting Camerons line from Ferris Bueller, "Daniel Lander, you're my hero." That's a nice gift for your dad. I keep intending to do a piece for my dad with an FB-111 and him in his flight gear but want it to be perfect so I keep putting it off. This is truely a gift from the heart, if you were my son, I'd be proud.
    -Mike V

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is fantastic, but the poses are also interesting; your dad and brother are more central and looking towards us, but you're at the bottom, looking on. I don't know if it was done subconsciously, but I'm not sure it makes for a great composition (meaning it doesn't really feel like you're image is a part of it).

The girl from the 27th is incredible. Incredible.

Last edited by dogfood; April 29th, 2005 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sooo...my birthdays comin up soon. haha jp

Nice stuff as always, man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why have i not been here yet? Well.. I'm regretting everyday ive missed this sketchthread... Incredible work, I'll be checking back daily!

--TAS--

Thomas A. Szakolczay
    tasart@aol.com
    www.tasmediafile.com

TAS's Sketchbook

TAS-Folio

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 13