Sketchbook: --Phuzion's Sketchbook - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: --Phuzion's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daniel, I'm really digging on the stuff in your sketch book. Nice job with the Middleton coloring experiment MORE!
    -Mike

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sok N. Wett: Hey thanks... an arsenal is what I'm shooting for.

Burning Eyes: Eat the bugs!! Do it! Do it! thank you much! But if you find anything to crit, please do let me know.

Jokisalo: Hot is gooooood. If you're keeping your eyes on me, I better behave I guess.

Undertow: Why thank you, I'm diggin' your stuff too. Post more! Actually, the colors were more inspired by Mucha, than they were by Middleton, though I did have him in mind... but I was going for those sort of subtle gradations that Mucha would get in his prints.

----------------------------------------------------------------

And on that note! Here is a tutorial of sorts. I did a slight redesign on Psylocke cause she's about the hottest thing ever... her and Ghost. And though the colors are still Mucha inspired, the background is directly influenced by Joshua Middleton. Anywho, it's more about coloring than drawing... I'll do a drawing one too at some point. So! here ya' go!!:

Step 1: I do a blue pencil sketch with Col-erase Light Blue (not to be confused with non-photo blue), then go over it with 2B graphite pencil as though I were inking it... And to clarify, LIGHT BLUE is different than NON-PHOTO BLUE!! Light Blue has a softer lead, which I prefer...

Step 2: I scan the sketch into PS and go to Image> Adjustments> Hue/saturation> Cyan and I lighten it all the way, which gets rid of the blue lines, leaving us with niiiiiice clean graphite. I make this into a multiply layer:

Step 3: This is where I set up blocks of colors on different layers that I can use as selection sets. Maybe there's an easier way to do this, but whatever, it works for me. This is the "Skin Block" as I called it...

Step 4: Complete the rest of the selection sets, remembering to keep them on different layers for easier selection.

Step 5: I add a slight gradation to each color block, just to break up the color a little bit. I chose to go from lighter to darker, top to bottom (except the skin gradation which was circular, starting at her chest and getting darker as it goes out). I also keep these gradations on different layers so that I always retain my selection blocks...

Step 6: I then select my "Skin Block" by ctrl+left-clicking the layer (this selects all the contents of the layer, excluding the transparent parts), and make a new layer above the "Skin Block", but below the other blocks. This layer I change to a Multiply layer, and select a color I deem suitable for the shading. I chose to keep the shadows light on the skin, so the color was a little lighter than the actual skin tone, but the mulitply function changes it to an additive process. I proceed to block in the shadows, making sure to keep hard and soft edges (cast shadows and form shadows) in mind.

And so it doesn't get too confusing, here is an example of my layer setup:

Step 7: I then do the same for the clothes. I chose to keep the shading for the suit, and the shading for her hair and sash on the same layer, because I used the same color to shade both.

Step 8: I added some blush of color to her face and shoulders, as well as a highlight layer above all the other layers, and just below the lines.

Step 9: I then took this splatter image, which is just a scan of some ink splatters I made, and went to Image> Adjustments> Invert... inverting the colors and values and slapped it behind her.

Step 10: Then, lastly I put a block of color behind the splatters, and changed the splatter layer to a Lighten layer.

There you have it!! Psylocke!

Okay, hope you found that even... remotely helpful... or something. Anywho, I out! Peace

-Daniel

Last edited by Phuzion; November 10th, 2004 at 12:18 PM.
    www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phuzion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice tutorial. Amazing sketchbook.
    Ive never been so organized. Ive to try it!

Thanks for sharing Phuzion.

Jaku

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting coloring process. I love this Psylocke redesign, she's one of my favorite X-Men too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent work Phuzion. I really like ure white pencil renderings at the startof ure thread.
    I think its really cool ure doing lots of animals and bugs.. not many people do studies on animals. Really cool to see.. might have to have a go myself.

Andrew Porter - Andy - Phandy - PHATandy

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh nice I was looking for more tutorials to add on to my list of tutorials. I love the new Psylocke look, she's a hotty for shotty. Damn it seems like you can draw anything, what haven't you drawn yet..........

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't drawn.... hhhmmm.... A one legged Pirate!!

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im lovin youre stuff! How did I miss this?? Awesome tutorial..thanks for the post. Youre women are the best...keep rockin these!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phuzion, cool and informative tutorial - and a very nice sketchbook!

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot for the tutorial. your females are hawt, and you have a rea nice grasp of form and shadow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definetly some nice stuff, love the tutorial and final image!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gah-DAMN this is some nice sketchbook Phuzion!

yowza.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is some Damn COol Sh!te in here.

I am really interested in what is referenced and what is not.

thanks,

-Joshua James

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jaku: Thank you. Organization is goooooood.

WillSchnevel: Right on! She's hott stuff... ;p Thank you

PHATandy: Thank you. Animals and bugs are a blast. I really dug the bugs especially, but it's all been great.

Sok N. Wett: Wuuuuurd, glad you liked the tut. As to the one legged pirate thing... well this one's for you ;p Nah, I kinda cheated cause we're doing a design of Treasure Island in class, so I knew it was comin' up ;p

Phuzion: Get the fuck off my thread you hack! Maybe when you know how to draw I'll think about shitting in your sock drawer! Punk ass bitch!

cateaic: You missed it amidst the likes of Marko, Milligan, Rusty, and the rest of the CA pimps ;p But I'm glad you're diggin' it.

jester: Thank you. I really wasn't sure if people would dig the tut or not, since it seems like most are flocking towards the highly rendered, or very painterly stuff, but it seems to have gone over well, so it wasn't a waste of time ;p

Majestyx: Why thank you! Nothing better than a hot female... cept maybe two of them. Anyway... shape, form... yes, thank you much!

Burning Eyes: Wuuuuuurd! I'm stoked that I reply to you (and Sok N. Wett) every time. Seriously... I feel pretty honored to have people check back regularly. Thanks for the motivation guys!!

Oregano: Why thank you sir!! I've been diggin' your stuff too.

JOSHUATHEJAMES: Right on, I'm glad you could stop by, thank you. As to what is referenced and what isn't:
    -All sketches on the brown paper are reference, except a couple of the bugs, and the robots (of course).
    - The Blade Runner stuff is of course ref.
    - The tree, and all the "human' figures are out of my head.

----------------------------------------------

Okay! Update time ;p

This one's for you Sok N. Wett!! It's a first pass at John Silver... there'll be many more I'm sure...

And here are some tribal odds and ends, done from reference (museums and books):

Okie dokie. That's a wrap. Thanks to everyone for the comments and motivation! It seriously makes warm and fuzzy inside. Peace

-Daniel

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Phuzion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great tut, she's both sexy AND ass kickin'

great work as always, cool to see the jewel studies.

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

naked women and robots a winning combination

i envy your ability to draw women, fail at this misrably. also i like the clothing you give them. stylish!

"Aku Soku Zan" - Hajime Saito

My book of Ubergoodness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn you can even draw jewelry how hood is that, always great stuff. The cool thing about your psylocke design is that if you turn her suit red, and give her a red bandana she can be a redesign of Elektra.

"If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gawdamnit. Lookit that detail in dem latest sketches! Nice stuff man, love all the attention to little things, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its really hard to come up with a word that fits your pieces real well. then, it struck me. a good word for your work would have to be .... PUSSY!, as in a vagina. yes, that is good, quite good.

Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Puzion....excellent stuff. I like your jewellery. Have you tried making them?

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    phu

wow.......wow.......love everything here. thanks you these.
    can't really think of anything else to say, just gonna go back and look at them some more.

peace
    Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh...what a honor for me to walk through the floors of gods!!! ahh...your stuff encourages me to do much more and get much better! thanks!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

another 1 Legged Pirate, by thunder!!

steak-tron: thank you sir! The jewels were fun, getting into forms and shapes I'm not too familliar with.

AlphonseIV: Thank you! Just keep practicing... I give them clothing?!

Sok N. Wett: Wuuuuurd, fuckin' hella hood. That's very true about Psylocke... I'm really not too familliar with Elektra's character, though I do know who she is... As always, thanks for the comments mah' man!

Burning Eyes: Thanks duuuuude. It's not REAL detail, it's just cheated detail. All indication and shite, but I will say this: It's the little things that really add that extra spark to a drawing or painting.

obid619: I have a friend that use to say, "That's hella tits!" Heh heh... so I guess pussy is okay... Thanks... I think.

MIKECORRIERO: Wow, thanks! Two thumbs up is good enough for me, and I'll keep up the work, Peace hooooomez!

darth massacre: gracias! No, I'm not a jeweler, metal smith or anything like that. Never tried it in my life I'll leave it up to those that know how to do it well, and I'll just keep pushin' ma' pencil around...

Dan Milligan: You know... .... ... yeah. I can't tell you how much of an inspiration you've been. I was doing a ton of storyboarding a month or so ago (my first real go at storyboarding in the working world) and just looking at yours was extremely informative in terms of action and whatnot, so thank you. It means a lot to me to receive a compliment from you. Peace man

OleOlsen: Yeah, Dan Milligan IS a god I'm glad I could pass on some of the inspiration I've recieved... thanks!

-Daniel

-----------------------------------------------

Okay!! Just a liiiiitle update today. Here's a second pass at Long John Silver, from Treasure Island!

I told you it was a little update. But don't worry! There's more on the way... someday.

Peace all,
    -Daniel

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why do the uber pros always say it best?
    Same sentiments as Mr. Milligan here. Just gonna go look at 'em some more...and give a 5 star rating or something. Beautiful stuff.

-Rob

My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those john silver sketchs are great! so much character! Man, I love this thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn love that new Long John Silver update, you even got his boobies hanging, now that's character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the flow of your lines in your sketches.

I'm glad you wrote that Psylocke tutorial, because I can't believe I never thought of adjusting the hue/saturation to get rid of the blue. Last semester I copied and pasted Channels to get rid of the blue in my animation frames Thanks for the tip!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy jeez! Hi peeps...

NoUseFrAName: they say it best BECAUSE they're uber pros Thanks man, if I can induce some replayability, that's awesome!

WillSchnevel: Thank you! Ah, character... that's really my primary goal with him right now. It's difficult task in that I have grown up thinking of Long John Silver as the ultimate pirate since I was like 6 years old... so to actually start designing him, whew... no pressure.

Sok N. Wett: Wuuuuuurd, Sok thanks a bunch, bro. Gotta have the man-boobs... that's what it's all about for me

MIKECORRIERO: You sound very serious... Thanks homez, I appreciate it. I'm diggin' your stuff a lot too; keep rockin' it.

YeeWu: Thanks man. I'm glad you found something in that tutorial helpful... I don't get into the bowls of PS, so I don't always know if there's a faster/easier way of doing things... I pretty much use it like I would paints. Works for me
    -----------------------------------

Okay, another small update... but there might be more later tonight.

More work on Silver. Just playing around, starting to get into some of the character moments in the story...

Peace out ladies and gents!

-Daniel

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, here are the day's sketches... I was at Peet's Coffee for a few hours, drawing away:

This is my warm up page, and some girl that was sitting down (with her damn boyfriend )...

A quick sketch of John Silver and Jim Hawkins, though Jim ended up looking a little too young I think...

Another sketch of them... a character moment in the book

A couple of roughs for a drawing I was going to do...

And the drawing... that ended up sucking so it got abandoned

Another girl that was sitting around doing homework, and sketch of John Silver... again

Starting to play around with designs for the Doctor... clearly going to need more work... a LOT more.

And this was some Spy Kid... kid that was there... weird

Okay! that's it for now! Peace all

-Daniel

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Phuzion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thing I like about your Long John Silver drawings is that your style can vary depending on how you want them, and they all kick ass. Hmmm I wonder if I can use that as a pickup line, draw the girl that I would like to talk to, go over to her, and say "I tried drawing you, but your beauty cannot be capture by this mere paper." Yes.....excellent that sounds like a good plan indeed.

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 13