Thanks

Post Ultimate 100 Days How to be a Master Artist Challenge - June, July and August

New month, new challenges. Brace yourselves, summer is coming and with it comes plenty of time to do whatever you want, whatever you always wanted to do but keep on procrastinating. Stop now, focus, now is the time! Let´s do it.

We all want to be an awesome artist here, become that guy which portfolio we look with admiration and envy, the one that gets on the front page and creates stunning pieces. The one that is able to put in front of us a wonderful world and make us dream. We can do it, how? Is pretty easy, train your inner dragon, develop your art skills.

Name:  almuredondomasterstudiebanner.jpg
Views: 10655
Size:  141.2 KB

I have done a compilation here of all the exercises we keep on hearing from the top artists. All the fundamentals that we need to study to get the solid foundation we need that will give us that magic in our work.

The idea is to use this 3 summer months, June, July and August to do one exercise of this list every day. Starting today I will safe 2 hours a day in the morning for it, you can start whenever you want, do it whenever you want in your day, as long as you want, 1 hour, 3 hours, 30 minutes... The key is to do something. There are no rules, do as you want and post here if you want. The more you do, the better.

Exercise 1- Still Life
    · Focus on Rendering and technique: Scott Robertson technique and dominate brushes
    · Focus on Light and Form: Color and Light technique by Tonko House

Exercise 2 - Anatomy - Study from reference and from life drawing sessions
    · Glenn Vilppu - anatomy videos
    · Bridgman - Constructive anatomy book
    · Bridgman’s Complete Guide to Drawing from Life book
    · Loomis - Figure drawing for all its worth book
    · Atlas of Human Anatomy for the artist book
    · Artistic Anatomy book
    · Robert Beverly Hale - Anatomy Lessons From the Great Masters
    · Michael Hampton - Figure Drawing: Design and Invention book

Exercise 3 - Portrait study
    · Asaro head study - http://planesofthehead.com/
    · Reilly abstraction - Ron Lemen's GNOMON DVDs
    · Nathan Fowkes portrait technique - LAAFA course and his YouTube channel

Exercise 4 - Perspective
    · Scott Robertson - How to draw book

Exercise 5 - Landscape studies
    • From life
    • Virtual Plein Air facebook group
    • Photos
    • Mastercopies

Exercise 6 - Master copies
    For this one I recommend Nathan Fowkes technique, focus on ANALIZYNG, not in COPYNG
    Example here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/alb...mentid=2123048

Exercise 7 - Still frame studies

Exercise 8 - Value Thumbnails
    Create simple Thumbnails with 3 to 5 values only, just to try new compositions.

Exercise 9 - Shape language practice
    Explore with shapes and silhouettes, do B&W ones to explore and find new limits

Hope you join me and enjoy the ride!

Name:  0.jpg
Views: 10750
Size:  150.0 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Almu Redondo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So, there we go, DAY 1 - landscape study after Ivan Ivanovich
    Focusing on color and dapped light
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    DAY 2, curly still life. Focusing on value of light, core shadow, the terminator, oclusion, bounce light...
    Too many loops...time to go to bed...

Thanks
    DAY 3 - Still frame study
    For today I have taken a still frame from the TV series Black Sails, as they have a very intense Caribbean sunlight scenes (actually African, cause they shot there) that was perfect to study how bright outdoor sunlight works, something not that easy to achieve.
    I have gone to the lab, taken my knife and dissected it. How you find it useful! Cheers!

Thanks
    Ok so DAY 4, I feel like this is one of those crappy things that should never go on the internet, but it has a lot of good conclusions so...

Still life for today. I have these candles in my table that help me when I work late at night to give me a little bit of that cosy feeling that "everything is alright". They had today a nice refraction of light through them, coming from a diffuse red light that comes through the red curtains. Also, they have a secondary cool light coming from the other window in my room. What a fantastic scenario to be painted.

Surprisingly, when I took the photo, I saw far more color temperatures contrast that the ones that my eye could notice while I was drawing it, So I did a couple of changes after the photo was taken that added more drama. Interesting.

Thanks
    DAY 5 For today I have tried to study Leyendeker light in the skin, he always has a nice contrast of cool and warm colors (some of then very sick ones, from a cool light). And of course, wonderfull lost and found edges... It was a lot of fun!

Thanks
    Sooner or later it was coming... Sargent for DAY 6
    Is so fascinating this painter...the mix of colours.... I couldn´t believe how many hues he has put in the skin, we have pinks, red, oranges, yellows, greens...and all perfectly in their places.
    I enjoy so much the technique of mimicking wet paint in digital, with very broad brushstrokes at the beginning, establishing the big shapes, just letting it go, and then slowly, like sculpting, start defining everything, is so difficult in traditional to do everything at once, you need a couple of sessions and you stop the flow. I let the steps here so you can see what I mean.
    So, so, so enjoyable.

Thanks
    For DAY 7 I was so in the flow of brushstrokes that I tried - yes, tried - to do a self-portrait sketch of 2 hours to practice what I learnt with Sargent and also to try the new water Winsor and Newton mixable oil colors. They are quite interesting, cause you don´t have any smell at all, which is wonderful, but, the color is not that bright as the oil ones, especially if you mix with a lot of water, when it dries - very quick btw - it loses a loooot of strength. To get a defined and lasting brushstroke, you need to put almost not water. It was cool, I will absolutely use them for sketches for sure.

Aaaany way, there is goes.

Thanks
    Aaaaaaand day 8, still frames from the opening of Raiders of the Lost Ark, sooo goood compositions...My 3 values studies are still very confusing and messy, but I am working on it. Cheeers!

Thanks
    Hei guys! Sorry for the little absence, I have been on holidays, but I didn´t stop practising!

For today, DAY 9, still life, focusing on simple values. I walked around the garden and draw everything that was interesting for me.