Thanks

sequel to "SMASH TV"!!

Ok........ I'm an ass, such a game doesn't exist....

but how would you guys feel about a new one? And seeing that 15 years have passed since its release in arcades, what sort of ideas would you have for a modern SmashTV in the next generation of games?

For those whom never played the origional, you're missin out on a great shooter.
    It was a complete top-down shooter that had a unique control setup where the D-pad controlled movement and the buttons controlled directional shooting/strafing...... so needless to say they were able to dump loads and loads of enemies on screen..
    co-op 2player with a friend was also great, you really needed eachother to survive... but at the same time you competed for prizes and scores.
    And also there was a lot of exploration compaired to other arcade games.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i'm not saying there way a sequel.. but maybe a prequel.. either way there were definitly two of these.. think the 1st only had 1 player..

excellent games though!!!

Thanks
    there was another game by the same team called 'total carnage' .. great game too, and very similar as far as play mechanics

Thanks
    THATS THE ONE!!

so it was unrelated jsut similar control set up?? used to love the two roller balls.. till i got my hands mixed up lmao

Thanks
    You should play CrimsonLand .

It's mad fun, and esssentially SmashTV, maybe a bit simpler; no rooms or prizes really, just waves of enemeies in a big empty space with powerups and new weapons. Survival mode is the best - just see how long you can survive (beat 11 minutes suckers). I bought the full game (only $20)... I agree however that a new SmashTV game would be incredible and topical.
    - Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks

Great Idea!

Now we should start brainstorming about the sequel (cause its when, not if right?). What kinds of things could be done differently? Remember that the original was an arcade machine, are fairly repetative. This sequel would be made for a console market. One thing that needs to stay out of a sequel is an story that involves the player not doing something. non stop gameplay. The great thing about the original was how the story (well, there wasn't much story, so i guess I mean "ambiance") was done while the player was engaged in doing something (like the announcer popping in, etc.). Metal Slug was an excellent game that told it's story through the gameplay. I think sticking to this sort of style would be best. The metroid series was exceptionally good at this as well.

If you go onto the Midway Arcade Collection (you must have this, right sam?) extra features for Smash TV, they have some cool interviews with some of the designers, and you get to hear a little about where they were coming from with the game concept.

and just to clear up any confusion between us, your vision of a smash TV sequel still has that aerial locked camera perspective, right? just now it's in 3d, like how contra was done.