Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

FioriX Sketchbook

Trying to be a caricature/portrait artist. Any advice of critiques would be greatly appreciated

Name:  Maggie Smith Small.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  174.5 KB
    (My favorite so far)
    Last edited by FioriX; September 20th, 2016 at 08:35 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1719
Size:  107.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FioriX; May 25th, 2015 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks
    Name:  ry.jpg
Views: 1711
Size:  278.5 KBName:  Caricature  Min Practice 1b.jpg
Views: 1773
Size:  888.1 KBName:  car2.jpg
Views: 1711
Size:  236.7 KBName:  sketchbook faces.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  565.0 KB

Thanks
    A few more caricature studies. Still feeling I can push a lot of them further or that I am not enhancing the right parts, but still practicing
    Name:  11303639_10152772137635855_1669866256_n.jpg
Views: 1698
Size:  165.4 KB
    Name:  blackguy1.jpg
Views: 1710
Size:  187.6 KB

Thanks
    Name:  face study4.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  102.9 KB
    Name:  face study2.jpg
Views: 1693
Size:  125.4 KB

Thanks
    Love this - and good luck on the transition - be brave, be bold and don't mind the poverty

I'd love to know if there's a particular 'formula' or 'plan' when going in with a caricature? I feel like my portraiture is okay at the moment but I wouldn't even consider caricatured stuff... I mean how do you keep the likeness whilst making everything go crazy? What are the anchors you're looking for?

K
    SKETCHBOOK / PORTFOLIO / ARTLORDS / ART STATION / DEVIANT ART / FACEBOOK

Oh and if you want to watch me paint live I recently got introduced to this thing called picarto TV... It's nice to do art and share it - if you have any questions it's great to talk too! I'm painting pretty much 12 hours a day so you'll most likely find me - unless I'm eating

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin Liew View Post
    I'd love to know if there's a particular 'formula' or 'plan' when going in with a caricature? I feel like my portraiture is okay at the moment but I wouldn't even consider caricatured stuff... I mean how do you keep the likeness whilst making everything go crazy? What are the anchors you're looking for?
    K
    It seems a common theme for keeping likeness is to understand the subjects head shape and especially features, such as their eyes and mouth. Sometimes I feel that I completely miss the likeness and other times I feel like I get it right. As I am new to caricatures and have mostly drawn normal portraits, it can be quite hard to really push a lot of the features. Tom Richmond is a great teacher for caricatures and his book is definitely worth a look if your interested in the field

Thanks
    Name:  small2.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  87.5 KB

So in a couple of weeks I will be drawing live caricatures for a small festival. Gotta practice quick drawings (hopefully post some practice pieces soon) Never done it before so it's going to be an interesting experience

Thanks
    Good luck on the festival! I did some live drawing once and it's really fun once you get in the zone as for the sketchbook, looking solid so far!! Your line drawings are so clean, drop some colour into them haha you've done half the work already. What kind of work are you looking into doing btw if you don't mind me asking? In a (sort of) similar place at the moment.

Thanks
    Had a fun day drawing caricatures and although I was insanely nervous at the start I really got it to it as the day went on. A few things that I learned from the day was:

To not do any under drawing (I did some at first as I was so nervous, but tried to limit myself to mainly the size and position of things)
    Realise that kids will barely stay still, so be prepared to draw from a quick glance.
    Put sun lotion on if you are in the sun (or better yet, had a canopy over you)
    Enjoy the company of your customers and try to make them less embarrassed to be sitting in front of someone.
    Make business cards to try and get future commissions (I have yet to set up a website or anything yet, but will be hoping to in the near future)

All in all, it was a fun day and although I feel I still have so much to learn and be less generic with a lot of the drawings it gave me a lot of confidence

Name:  rsz_image5.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  59.6 KBName:  image2.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  73.6 KBName:  image3.jpg
Views: 1633
Size:  81.9 KBName:  image4.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  82.9 KBName:  rsz_image1.jpg
Views: 1626
Size:  58.3 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
    Good luck on the festival! I did some live drawing once and it's really fun once you get in the zone FioriX Sketchbook as for the sketchbook, looking solid so far!! Your line drawings are so clean, drop some colour into them haha you've done half the work already. What kind of work are you looking into doing btw if you don't mind me asking? In a (sort of) similar place at the moment.

Thanks for the comments Kishire I really want to start working and experimenting with color, it's always been something I have neglected for some reason, but I will definitely be working hard to color things up soon.

As for work I would really like to get into illustrating children's books (i'll try post some of that kind of stuff later) and working on caricature/ portraiture as well in the future. I would love to do concept design for TV and games, but I feel there is still a lot of things to learn before I can work in that industry (never say never though)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin Liew View Post
    Love this - and good luck on the transition - be brave, be bold and don't mind the poverty FioriX Sketchbook

K
    Sorry I missed your comment K. Thanks for the kind words Well what I do have been doing with caricatures is to see what makes that face unique or if you know a person, think about how to express that persons personality through their facial features. The anchors I look for are mainly the face shapes and placing the features in relation to how you have changed the "energy" of the face.

I really recommend the book "The Mad Art of Caricatures" by Tom Richmond. He seems to be a very good teacher and talks a lot about how to alter faces in which ever style you are going for (realistic/ cartoonish etc) How to know what to exaggerate/change is your own personal opinion, as although I might see a long forehead and fat nose, you might see a wide chin and toothy grin, so you just push what feels right to you. I am very much a beginner though, but that had been my experience so far in the few months I have been learning caricature
    Last edited by FioriX; July 6th, 2015 at 01:34 AM.

Thanks
    Name:  delete3.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  361.4 KBName:  delete2.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  149.0 KB

I am finally back in England after a busy couple of months and i'm ready for some full time studying. I have been trying to focus a bit more on the fundamentals of drawing and painting and trying to study more from video tutorials. I have even found a life drawing class to join, so i'm hoping that I will be adding a lot more to my sketchbook each day.

Thanks
    Name:  DELEYE1.jpg
Views: 1607
Size:  236.2 KB

Some simple value studies I did as part of one of the Schoolism courses

Thanks
    wow amazzzzing line work an emotion in your portraits and caricatures ...was a pleasure to see your work...I hope you do well

Thanks
    Thanks very much Tubz. I always appreciate feedback on my work, good and even more so, bad

Here are a few recent pieces I did at the life drawing group. I felt pretty nervous at first, as I haven't done figure drawing in a while, but it was good practice

Name:  DELET ED.jpg
Views: 1599
Size:  89.8 KB
    Name:  DELETE C.jpg
Views: 1603
Size:  90.5 KB

Name:  12036758_10152982520440855_5179794476345472628_n.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  167.7 KB

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast