Thanks

TheSwan - Color & Light 1.1

This is still a work in progress, but I found myself hitting some problems so I wanted advice.
    I seem to be getting this amateur effect in my painting, where the colors look muddy, and the features have a garish, outlined quality to them.
    For the life of me, I can't seem to get rid of this effect, no matter how much I reference myself in the mirror, it seems like I'm copying it correctly but I'm just not. Any advice on how to wrangle my values in better would be much appreciated.

Name:  selfportraitWIP.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  42.2 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I would suggest using your brush at low opacity. Such as 30 - 50% with a soft brush. Your blending will drastically improve. Having that blend will let you create more subtlety in how the light wraps the form. Your placement and form is great and needs no correction.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Great start. Just a few thoughts to get it to the next level.

1. add in some of the light and shadow shapes to the drapery..even if just suggesting like rembrandt or velasquez might (google to see what i mean...they are great at minimal marks to nail suggestion of form and space...as well as posture/gesture)

2. the hair could use some care. you can get away with simple handling. check out how sargent does hair...and zorn. the answers are in their works...oh, and rembrandt. he is amazing at hair suggestion with few marks.

keep up the great work.

jm