Thanks

Question 3D studio MAX vs Maja

Your opinion is needed!

What is the difference between two programs?
    Which one is better, easier to learn and use?

Also what other program for character design and environment in 3D would you recommend to someone who is just starting ?

darkcult

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I've seen this question be asked many times. I don't think there's such a thing as a "better" 3D app. I think some have advantages over others. For instance, you can modify the tools with scripts in 3dsMax, and add many plugins, whereas in Maya you can't do that as easily. Rhino 3D has very powerful NURBS tools compared to Maya and Max. I'd suggest you get one app, and learn it well. There's really no better 3D app, imo. Personally I prefer to use 3dsmax because I find its tools easier to use. But thats just me.
    - Tony

Thanks
    yeah, i'm kinda annoyed by how maya is more focused on nurb modeling than poly gon modeling. also maya is used so much for anime style games, like the super metrosexual Final Fantasy series. i prefer 3ds max for that same reasons as gator said. also it works for most games i play and it's easy enough for me to use. when will the japanese game industry get more creative than just doing anime style all the time...you know i liked at first, but after a while it just pisses me off.
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    when will the japanese game industry get more creative than just doing anime style all the time...you know i liked at first, but after a while it just pisses me off.
    I guessit's just you cuz FF series is one the best-selling both in Japan and US.
    I don't see why would they abandon something that works.

Thanks
    also it seems to me they are very perverted about breast and panties.
    they put so much fan service and stuff in their games...that is how they sell them so well. i will discuss no more about this.

Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Uhmmm the debate who is better than who is hard.
    Both got great poly support(script exist to extend the tool of Maya, free), Max was the winner in the game industry for a long time because of it's price but things change... Maya has a nearly equal support now, and new actor keep coming everyday. A free version exist No demo for Max...
    Zbrush for example begin to be use everywhere - only to model/detail object and caracter for now since it lack animation module, but who know for how long. A demo exist.
    Softimage XSI gain lot of popularity because of it's great quality in poly work, it's animation capabilities(it comes from Softimage 3D. It took a while, but they got a major card in their wallet now!). Valve use it for Half Life 2, if you want to mod for it, they're is a free version you can try (+ XSI expérience, free too)

I can continue, but search a bit and try by yourself. It's the faster way

Thanks
    These programs are just tools. Its not which one you use, its what you do with it. Pick the one that appeals to you the best.

Thanks
    Great stuff!!!

Thanks!

darkcult

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    I use max. I luuuvs my max! my precious!

But seriously, it doesn`t matter what 3d app you use, because "It`s easy to learn an artist a 3dpackage, it`s much harder to learn someone proficient in a 3dpackage to be an artist." (plus everything the others said...)

One good thing about 3ds max tho: you can download an app called "gmax" wich is in fact a stripped down version of 3dstudio max. It has the same interface as max, and most tutorials for max also applies for gmax. (Tutorials in the features that gmax have, ofcourse.)

That way you can get that "max feeling" and see if it is anything for you, and you can decide if you wanna get a student version or a single user license. Or perhaps gmax covers all your needs, then you don`t need anything else!

Good luck with your polygon herding!

(oh, and here`s one you`ll find useful: www.3dbuzz.com)

Thanks
    yeah...3ds max is pretty much the best.
    i also like XSI...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Orban
    ... Maya has a nearly equal support now, and new actor keep coming everyday. A free version exist No demo for Max...
    Zbrush for example begin to be use everywhere...
    Check again cos am using a Max Demo. Still learning how to use it anyways... it's pretty cool. I don't know much about Maya all I know is that I have heard more visual effects people crediting Max.
    7 is out.
    All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you......"

Thanks
    Ouch, sorry about the Max Demo. Last time I check, there isn't one so... But I don't check to be honest

Uhmm since I reply I'm going to add somethings :
    First it's not the package you use who will learn you 3D. All package use nearly the same concept and the tool work similarly. So, whatever you choose, you can change after a while without major problem.
    Secondly, if you don't know basic concept of 3D creation, you can use simpler program like Wings to learn the basic of modelling for example. Begin with simple thing, you will grow with the time(don't try to model and animate a complete realistic human with you first session. You can't.). Be modest
    Third there's somethings you can't learn alone. Try things, but talk to a lot of people and ask question. Lot of question. No need to reinvent the wheel ya know?

If you want to go faster, try Zbrush to get a first grap in modeling It's between working in 3D and drawing, and you can get the interface pretty fast - there's a free pdf that can get you working pretty fast!

Thanks
    Maya is the industry standard. The company I work for uses it and the last three places i applied use it.

It doesnt matter what 3d program you choose. because the principals are the same for all of them. Once you learn Maya, the only thing you have to do is get used to the buttons and layout of max and you'll handle it fine. And visa versa. If you want to get into the game industry Id say you might as well adopt Maya. It costs more, but there is a reason for that.
    BLAST ON YOU!

Thanks
    This should be awarded with the "best weekly new thread" of CA.

Thanks
    i agree with nardfrog. but basically it is opinion which program you prefer.

I only know Maya. But if I have to learn another 3D program it won't be difficult, just a matter of learning another interface that does the same thing.

One thing Maya does have going for it over most other programs is that it is really good for animation too. It is all around powerful. And it has its own language MEL to write custom scripts for it. I think that it is very good for poly modeling too.

I wouldn't generalize that certain styles of games are made by certain programs either. That just isn't true. Capcom uses XSI I believe, and Square uses Maya, for comparison.

Thanks
    same thing with me and zbrush...
    i learned zbrush suprisngly fast for the first time of using it...
    i geuss it it scomes from experience with Max.
    i'll post some of the zbrush stuff i did, later.

Thanks
    From what I gather Maya is used more for movies and 3D Studio Max for video games. The line between movies and video game 3D requirements will eventually blur as the technology advances. With a program like ZBrush(displacement maps for extremely high rez looking models) video games will be able to have photorealistic models and environments.

I started with Max but also learned Lightwave. I've only spent mabey 50 hours on Maya but I felt comfortable with it. Once you know one 3D program your 3D learning IQ goes up significantly. Each subsequent program is much easier to learn.

Discreet(Max) is a large company and will easily be able to keep up with Alias in the future. They're both great.

Thanks
    I'm going to correct one thing that Gator said: Maya is a hell of a lot easier to script for, that's the main reason it's used in the film industry.

I'm a Max user myself, but only because I used Max first. I also prefer Max's interface. It really doesn't matter though because they're taking so much from one another, that they are becoming almost the same in all but appearance. But yeah, if you like NURBS, use Maya, if you like Poly Modeling, I think Max is better. Also, Maya no longer costs more. I remember I was looking at it when it was $16,000... then a week later I looked and it was $2500! WTF! Now Max and Maya are both about $3500... I think. Choose your poison!
    www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook