Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Keep it comin. Looks like you are getting more comfortable as you keep pushing. More gestures. There should be a PDF of The Vilppu Drawing Manual floating around on the interweb. I highly recommend it. His breakdown on gesture drawing is fantastic. This is a lecture on what he goes over in the book. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOAYDrbfXhY&t=3s
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSolo View Post
    Keep it comin. Looks like you are getting more comfortable as you keep pushing. More gestures. There should be a PDF of The Vilppu Drawing Manual floating around on the interweb. I highly recommend it. His breakdown on gesture drawing is fantastic. This is a lecture on what he goes over in the book. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOAYDrbfXhY&t=3s
    Thanks man. I can't really see much improvement myself, but I'm ok with that. It's doing wonders for my sense of well-being just to know that I'm carving out time to practice each day. I think we tend to be blind to the good that we do. At least, that's how it is for me.

The video seems to have been taken down due to a copy right issue. I'm googling that book in another tab though.
    Elected to stay in bed when my alarm went off this morning. No regrets. I needed the sleep, but I didn't get to my bone studies. I did have a piece of paper in front of me at work today though so I can upload something at least.

Name:  tatface.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  255.5 KB

Oh, p.s. google automatic drawing and watch the proko video that pops up. I'm losing my mind over how cool that is.

See y'all tomorrow!
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel
    If there is a heaven for my soul, it's a giant lawn on a warm spring day with my dog.

Thanks
    Can't sleep at all; not tired. Too much freaking caffeine! Figured I'd draw instead of just lying awake in the dark. So much for my little challenge to Persephone_Black. Oh well. I mean I guess it still counts, but without the hardcore wake up early part. Staying up late isn't nearly as badass. fml.
    Name:  gest.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  148.3 KB
    Name:  c1s.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  458.1 KB
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel
    If there is a heaven for my soul, it's a giant lawn on a warm spring day with my dog.

Thanks
    More studies. It's more interesting to me if I break the form of the bone down. I still haven't decided what shapes everything is supposed to be yet. I'm close to getting it, but still have a ways to go.
    Name:  gest.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  207.8 KB
    Name:  bns2.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  384.7 KB
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    Yay, you did the C1 studies
    ~Stephanie Cruz (aka Persephone Black)
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

Thanks
    Well, the internet is being slow today. The gesture drawing site isn't wanting to load the images. I guess I'll just climb back into my warm bed and snuggle with my little dog and do some reading. Hooray for slow internet!

@Persephone_Black: Ain't no slacking around here! Not today anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Scribbly; January 25th, 2019 at 07:49 AM.
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    Now I wanna crawl back into bed with my dog. hahaha. It's so coooold. I'm digging those gesture studies And the C1 studies look great too.
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

Thanks
    Time for some exciting C2 Studies.
    Name:  bnsagn.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  305.1 KB
    Name:  g1.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  370.4 KB
    Name:  g2.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  305.9 KB
    Name:  g3.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  371.9 KB
    Name:  comps.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  411.9 KB
    Last edited by Scribbly; January 30th, 2019 at 08:07 AM.
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    Some stuff before bed.

Name:  Carrying-Raindrops.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  251.5 KB
    Name:  Playing-with-freehand-perspective.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  217.8 KB
    Name:  4am.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  112.7 KB
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    Some more studies. My dog now insists that I give her some attention.
    Name:  bonzz.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  313.2 KB
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Just curious, are these human vertebrae?
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    Just curious, are these human vertebrae?
    They are indeed. It's perhaps a little more anatomically in depth than most artists would recommend, but I want to know each bone.
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post
    They are indeed. It's perhaps a little more anatomically in depth than most artists would recommend, but I want to know each bone.
    For practical purposes, that is a waste of time.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    I appreciate that. Still, I wish to know.

I also practice yoga and chi gong and I feel like my anatomical knowledge really helps me visualize and understand what's happening in my body. The spine is very important in that respect.
    Last edited by Scribbly; January 31st, 2019 at 01:23 PM.
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    Anatomy, why u gotta be so complicated?!? I got home and looked at a proper skull after drawing these. I tend to make the teeth too small. Noted.
    Name:  ziggybowza.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  250.6 KB
    Name:  meth.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  326.9 KB
    Oh my god, the glasses... what was I doing? I admit, the printer was almost done making stickers and I was in a hurry to get over there and look busy.
    Name:  glasses-of-regret.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  437.7 KB
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    More stoof
    Name:  bagel.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  324.0 KB
    Name:  bunz.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  281.1 KB
    Name:  1.jpg
Size:  343.5 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Size:  325.7 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Size:  303.7 KB
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    Thank you for dropping by my sketchbook. I see you had the "oh crap I'm almost 30" moment around this time last year. I am amazed to see how far you have come in such a short amount of time and I admire the guts you have to put everything on here, even the things that are just fooling around. It's inspirational. Maybe I should do the same (only problem is my creative stuff isn't all drawing/painting, but eh). Don't mind what he said about the bone studies; you want to learn what you want to learn and no-one has the right to stop you.

Sorry, charisma was my dump stat. Anyways, what I want to say is you are awesome, and keep it up!

Thanks
    I think your painting studies have really been helping your sense of form with the pencil. This is a strong update. Seeing some growth for sure.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    I really like your update! If only I had some time to draw this week. School is kicking my butt (I hate physics...). I really like that skull drawing!!
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeannaLaverty View Post
    Thank you for dropping by my sketchbook. I see you had the "oh crap I'm almost 30" moment around this time last year. I am amazed to see how far you have come in such a short amount of time and I admire the guts you have to put everything on here, even the things that are just fooling around. It's inspirational. Maybe I should do the same (only problem is my creative stuff isn't all drawing/painting, but eh). Don't mind what he said about the bone studies; you want to learn what you want to learn and no-one has the right to stop you.

Sorry, charisma was my dump stat. Anyways, what I want to say is you are awesome, and keep it up!
    Thanks Deanna! I'd be interested in seeing whatever non-drawing creative stuff you do. I feel like a lot of the reason this place is so dead is because creativity must be encumbered with the notion of *this is CONCEPT ART dot org* not collage, or anything else dot org and if you don't conform you can get lost. That's just my opinion of course and it may be wrong. Being a concept artist seems far less interesting to me now than when I first got here though. Of course, back then I was impressed that people could draw front and side views of the same character or object. I hoped that one day I would be that good. lol! The goal post moves ever onward.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSolo View Post
    I think your painting studies have really been helping your sense of form with the pencil. This is a strong update. Seeing some growth for sure.
    Thanks man! I plan to do some more painting this weekend and let the bone studies rest until Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone_Black View Post
    I really like your update! If only I had some time to draw this week. School is kicking my butt (I hate physics...). I really like that skull drawing!!
    Don't beat yourself up over it. Life is a journey, and sometimes you're at a part in the road where it's time to do physics homework instead of more pleasurable things like drawing. There's a time and a place for everything.

-----

I was swamped at work today. Didn't have much time to draw. (I know what you're thinking "he draws at work? what an awful employee!" but I assure you I do my best to keep busy, but it's a laid back environment. At least until the busy season.)

I like to do stuff from imagination when I'm at work. It's faster than observation and it's fun. I swear one of these days I'll remember to bring an eraser.
    Name:  Return-home.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  441.6 KB

Goodnight all!
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    Haven't gotten around to painting anything yet, but I am having a lot of fun sketching, walking my dog, and jumping on my trampoline today.
    Name:  a.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  360.5 KB
    Name:  b.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  376.0 KB
    Name:  c.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  351.3 KB
    Name:  giant E.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  411.6 KB
    Name:  mcfeely.jpg
Size:  387.8 KB
    Name:  spellbook.jpg
Size:  371.7 KB
    Name:  notahunter.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  194.6 KB
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    I painted this last night. It is definitely one of the worst things I've ever done.
    Name:  nooooo.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  476.3 KB
    Of course, it was necessary for me to have completed it. Else I never would have done the next one. Because after that I swore I'd never paint anything that way again.
    I sat cackling with glee as I began to understand that I was born to do this. The painting below is of no significance in terms of artistic quality, but in terms of what I learned, it is worth a small degree of some sort I think.
    Name:  yaaaaaaaaaah.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  338.5 KB
    I'm starting on another instead of finishing this one. There are proportional issues I can't ignore.
    To me it feels like you have to stalk your subject like prey. That's the state of single-minded focus you need. Maybe that's just me. I had to stop and rest.

Edit: This one's dry. Using acrylic for this experiment.
    Name:  thief-in-the-moonlight.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  201.5 KB
    Last edited by Scribbly; February 3rd, 2019 at 08:23 PM.
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    I actually really like the first painting to be honest. haha Something about it is really organic. There's lots of movement, and flow, and even chaos which sort of sets a theme. The white object on the tree is like a giant owl watching its prey. I think it's really cool actually.
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

Thanks
    Haha that's because the first one is from imagination/memory and the others are from observation. The best art is probably more organic feeling I think. As you can see, I organically re-purposed the rather dull white ball with a rather dull red face. Time marches on...
    Name:  nooooooooooooo.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  257.6 KB
    I think it's time to call it a night.
    Name:  nnny.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  315.6 KB
    Last edited by Scribbly; February 3rd, 2019 at 10:04 PM.
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    Try to combine those shorter poses to bit longer ones, same goes with other studies as well

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonec View Post
    Try to combine those shorter poses to bit longer ones, same goes with other studies as well
    That actually sounds like exactly what I need to do. I hadn't thought of that. I need to train my endurance I guess. I'll do a longer study in the morning!
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    Need to clean my scanner again. Gotta go to work though. Those black spots are not part of it.

2+ hrs.
    Name:  cone.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  279.1 KB
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    Name:  It's-crazy-and-it's-a-bannanna!.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  258.5 KB
    Name:  bannanna-study-contd2.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  252.9 KB
    I flipped my scanner lid. I like it better that way.
    Name:  the-elusive-bowl.jpg
Size:  274.0 KB

Name:  Restitution-for-cookies.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  402.2 KB
    Black Sponge/foam cubes are not easy to draw. I had one in front of me and I couldn't do it. I'm missing something. The bowl was also impossible. To be frank, I already see how the bananas could be better.

Edit:
    Name:  dfds.jpg
Size:  477.7 KB
    Name:  ffff.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  324.7 KB
    Last edited by Scribbly; February 4th, 2019 at 10:17 PM.
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    Name:  ppppppiiii.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  345.7 KB
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel

Thanks
    I really like the face you did there, the one at the bottom of the paper with the lighting. It came out really good
    Tumblr
    Sketchbook
    Instagram

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast