Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks

0wen's Sketchbook

Hello everybody, my name is 0wen. I'll skip all the formalities and simply sum it up into one statement: I'm here to get better! I aspire to be a Concept Artist one day, and being at the ripe age of 17, I'd like to get a head start before I'm sent off to college.

I'm completely self-taught (minus a few worthless high-school courses) and have been doing this seriously for a little under a year. I plan on updating this almost-daily with sketches and finished drawings/paintings.

Please leave critiques, comments, blah blah blah. You know the drill!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 0wen; August 11th, 2016 at 02:15 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Some traditional work I did in my sketchbook a couple of weeks ago. I have hardly any experience with landscapes so I decided to do a series of thumbnails to make it a little more manageable. I also did some quick studies of things typically seen in environments, such as trees and rocks.

The second one is a creature/mech sheet I did just for fun. Some of them were inspired by China Mieville's Bas-Lag novels (all three of which are excellent, some of my favorite books) and the others were just imagined off the top of my head. Went in after I scanned the drawings and made the highlights pop a little to give them more dramatic lighting.

Thanks
    Welcome aboard Owen! I'll need to see more work before I can give you feedback so I look forward to the next updates.

Thanks
    Thanks for stopping by! I just uploaded a few more things I've done in my sketchbook, do take a look!

Thanks
    Sketched out a knight, quite a few problems with it but I'm alright with sharing it. If it were a finished piece I'd correct the faults but after a few hours, I feel I've learned a good amount of the design elements and it's time to move on.

Thanks
    Hi Owen! Welcome to the forum!

Well I'd say this is a mighty fine start. Some studies, some pieces from imagination - it's a nice, balanced approach. Keep doing what you're doing!

If you feel you can add another avenue of study right now, I'd suggest you work on your perspective skills. You're clearly *conscious* of perspective, but your application of it could use some improvement. Like with the skull dude you posted. His head, torso, and legs don't line up perspective-wise. His pecs are especially misaligned. Be careful of that! Try blocking in your figures as stacks of boxes first (a box for the head, a bigger box for the torso, etc.) in one- or two-point perspective; that should help. Let me know and I can send you a couple examples.

Good luck! And keep posting

Thanks
    @emalin - Thanks for the welcome, and more importantly, for stopping by! I appreciate it It's weird, until you said something about the alignment of the fishbone gladiator's anatomy, I never even noticed it. It's something I'll definitely be conscious of from now on! I understand the very basics of anatomy/perspective, but I'll surely be going over that stuff much more thoroughly once I begin art school next fall. Anyways, a few more sketches for the day. Just fun things again, didn't really plan on going all out on these.
    Last edited by 0wen; April 30th, 2015 at 11:28 PM.

Thanks
    Hey man, this is looking good, like your attitude. The concepts from post #2 are really cool and show that you have quite a nice imagination. Now its just a matter of working hard and drawing a lot. The traditional landscapes are great, I think for improving your characters you could do a bit more figure drawing without going into so much detail with every figure. Draw a few that take you like 10 minutes and only capture the pose, no armor or other fancy rendering stuff. FantasyArtist has a great tutorial for figure drawing in his sketchbook. Have you thought about studying options? I have put many many hours into searching all kinds of schools in the US for concept art studies so if you dont quite know where to start searching I can definitely be of help. Keep being awesome.
    My Sketchbook
    Connect with me on Artstation

Thanks
    Nice updates Owen. You have some great ideas. Like Emalin pointed out you should do a more in depth study of perspective. It is one of the most important fundamentals to learn to become a good draftsman. Right now the ideas are there, the issue is that your figures are lacking a sense of form and good structure. So these are the areas you might want to focus more on to take your work to the next level. Keep it up!

Thanks
    @Dennis - Thanks a lot for the nice words I have definitely thought of pursuing art during my studies in college, but I didn't apply to any art schools simply because I put it off for too long and only recently decided to commit to it. Instead, I'm going to attend a public university, study both illustration and graphic design, and then I would love to go onto FZD afterwards. On figure drawing though, I've tried it before and it's definitely harder than you'd think Capturing the gesture is the hardest part for me. But again, thanks!

@fantasyartist - Like I told Dennis, thanks for the kind words! I have How To Draw & How To Render by Scott Robertson which I've light-heartedly gone through, but I plan on going through them again a little more seriously to nail perspective down. I'll keep what you said in mind.

In the meantime, however, I don't have anything to post today. Well, technically I could, but they're only a few sketchy thumbnails I've made that will be used in a finished concept I'll be creating

Thanks
    I've been absent for a couple of days, and the reason is below. I made a quick thumbnail in my sketchbook, liked it quite a bit, so I decided to make an actual concept for it. Left is the thumbnail and right is an early WIP. I'm trying a new technique with this, sorta like a photobash but I've only used them to block in the look of everything before I paint over them (as I have already with some things). I altered the design a little from the original but overall I'm liking the look of this one. I'll post more once it's finished, as well as list the artists who I got the design inspirations from. Stay tuned!

Thanks
    Figured I'd check in so people don't think I've vanished or anything Things have been crazy busy these past few days with finals approaching so I haven't had as much time to work lately. However, I'll try to post my concept by the end of this weekend (still don't know what to name him ). In the meantime, though, I've found a really cool artist by the name of Kobe Sek. He's got a really interesting style and some real unique pieces, I highly suggest everyone check him out!

Kobe Sek - https://www.artstation.com/artist/kobesek

Thanks
    After a long week, I've finally got this piece done Took a little longer than anticipated, but I'm pleased with the outcome. I experimented a little with photobashing/photo textures, so that kinda spiced up the work flow. It definitely saves time and once I get better at it, it'll surely be something I use more in the future.

The design was heavily influenced by Nivanh Chanthara, who is a fantastic artist that everyone should check out! His ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artist/nivanhchanthara

However, please leave some crits and comments! I'd love to hear what you guys have to say!

Thanks
    Little change of pace for tonight, went back to the sketchbook and did some more quick landscape studies, about 15-20 mintues each. Not too crazy about how these turned out but I suppose not every day is a good drawing day. I did some more stuff as well, but that's for a game I'm helping out with and I can't be showing any of that off

Thanks
    Today I went back to a sketch I posted earlier and decided to flesh it out a bit more. Basically it's an alien race called the Kei-Eshk and they are much more advanced (intellectually and technologically) than humans but are generally peaceful. They are extremely tall and lanky and once they mature/become more knowledgeable, they can harness this sort of "energy" (can't think of any better word) that can be used for all sorts of wacky alien stuff

I really enjoy creating new creatures/concepts from my imagination so expect to see weird sci-fi/fantasy sketches whenever I have free time

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast