Thanks

Color Dodge and burn?

Ok I've been using photoshop for years and now every ones like "hop on the Painter bandwagon"...if it's gonna help my digital work, I'm really not afraid to make the change...BUT I NEED the color Dodge color burn brush setting that Photoshop 7 has. I don't know much of anything about Painter and I've found a layer attribute section but I'm not seeing a setting that says dodge or burn. Is it titled something else? Is it there and most importantly is there a way to JUST apply this to the brush and not a whole layer?

thank you.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Photo's Dodge and Burn Variants

Hi,

I don't know if this will be much help since I personally dislike Painter's Dodge and Burn brushes. Maybe you'll be able to use them better.

They're found in the Photo category: Brushes palette's Brush Category list, choose Photo, then from the Brush Variant list, choose either Dodge or Burn.

There are a couple of other brush variants in that category you might find useful, or at least fun to play with: Colorizer and Saturation Add.

Also, if you choose the Photo's Dodge variant, then in the Brush Controls palette's General section, change the Method to Plugin, there's a long list of Subcategory option you might also find useful.

Painter's Layer Composite Methods are the equivalent of Photoshop's Blending Modes, but not all of them match up. In Painter, there's no Color Dodge or Color Burn Composite Method.

Good luck!
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Hi Tristan,

I agree with Jin, Painter's dodge and burn are no match for Photoshop's dedicated retouching tools. Many people actually work between the two applications with their image to get the best of both worlds so to speak.

A word of caution about using the plugin method though. Hopefully this problem will be fixed in Painter 8, but what you may find when assigning a plugin method to a brush that both it and the original become greyed out (unusable). There seems to be a bug in the xml file which causes this. If this happen to you, in order to restore the original variant, make a note of the original brush name and locate the corresponding 'c_' prefixed xml file in the Painter brushes folder. This is a temporary file and can be delated. After deleting the c_ file, relaunch Painter. Your original brush should now be fully functional.

To assign plugin types to Painter's brushes, either build them in Painter 6 and import them or find an existing variant with the plugin type you want already asigned to it, alter the parameters to your requirements in the brush controls palette and resave the brush with a different name.

David

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    relying on Burn and Dodge WILL HINDER your ability to place colors as you choose....it is a procedural technique that does not force you to think about color. It also tends to change the colors in ways that were not intended.

if you are doing black and white work then fine...otherwise i am inclined to say that you should be more deliberate in your painting and less formulaic with your brushes.

put down the colors and brushes you choose...not ones that are chosen by the computer.

thats my two cents...burn and doge is the easy way out and it looks it....most times.

j

Thanks
    Originally posted by sandman
    Hi Tristan,

I agree with Jin, Painter's dodge and burn are no match for Photoshop's dedicated retouching tools. Many people actually work between the two applications with their image to get the best of both worlds so to speak.

...... After deleting the c_ file, relaunch Painter. Your original brush should now be fully functional.

David
    Hi David!

I agree with David that Painter's dodge and burn aren't so hot, and with Jason that using dodge and burn is not the best way to create nice work. To me, it looks harsh and unnatural.

David again...

Is it really necessary to relaunch Painter after deleting the cached variants?
    Wouldn't it work just as well to either choose another brush category, then choose the original one again.. or... load another brush library, then reload the original brush library again? That should refresh the display and the variants should be accessible again.

You may be right in this instance, though, since this plugin problem may call for unusual measures.

How about holding down the Alt/Option key > Brushes palete Variant menu > Restore Default Variant, then without Alt/Option, Restore Default Variant?

That should delete all cached variants at once, except the current variant seems not to get restored to its default settings, thus the extra step to restore the single current variant.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Originally posted by Jin

David again...

Is it really necessary to relaunch Painter after deleting the cached variants?
    Wouldn't it work just as well to either choose another brush category, then choose the original one again.. or... load another brush library, then reload the original brush library again? That should refresh the display and the variants should be accessible again.

You may be right in this instance, though, since this plugin problem may call for unusual measures.

How about holding down the Alt/Option key > Brushes palete Variant menu > Restore Default Variant, then without Alt/Option, Restore Default Variant?

That should delete all cached variants at once, except the current variant seems not to get restored to its default settings, thus the extra step to restore the single current variant.
    Hi Jin,

As far as I remember, when the brush drawer containing any greyed out variant(s) is selected, the Alt/Option + Restore Default Variant doesn't work for the greyed out brushes. It often takes several goes with this method to even restore the non-greyed out variants (in Painter 7), and even then, the currently selected variant is not restored I believe.

What may work (without having to quit and restart Painter) is to load a different brush library and then to navigate to and manually delete the defective c_ variant. If all goes well, when the original (previously defective) library is reloaded, everything should be working.

David

Thanks
    Hi again, David,

Yep. I usually tell people to begin by using Alt/Option > Restore Default Variant, then again without Alt/Option. Then load any other brush library and load the original brush library again.

If that doesn't work,I usually tell them... the last resort (and probably the most sure way that could be done at the beginning) is to to manually delete the cached variants (XML files with names preceded by "c_").

I've usually had success doing it from inside Painter but we all know how quirky Painter can be!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory