Art: Sarah Kerrigan pic.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

ozimandias Guest

Sarah Kerrigan pic.

Hi, this is my first post in this forums :cool: .

This is a picture I made of Sarah Kerrigan, the character from Starcraft. Please tell me what do you think of it. Specially I'm not sure of the "fog" effect I used to show the long distance between Sarah and the zerg laird.

Sarah Kerrigan pic.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah. How the heck did you do that? :eek:

I'm at work, looking at a crappy monitor, but i can still see the niceity of this piece.

It looks almost 3D rendered, especially the woman. I'm very impressed with her body from the waste down....perhaps for obvious reasons... :p .....no, but i think that's really great.

Only thing I noticed is that perhaps you should have a second look at her face. But I'm not sure of the level of realism you were going for there, since she's a game character. If you've used reference from the game for the face, maybe that's exactly how she looks, so...

I think perhaps you could blur the backround a little, to bring her more to the front, and to make the image more readable.
    Or maybe do it with levels or/and colours.

I'm sure if I look closer I could perhaps find some more crits, but I think you've done a good job, so I'll leave that up to the others in that case.

ozimandias Guest
    I forgot to say that I used photo reference for the butt and legs, for some reason I couldn't draw them correctly after several tries. The rest is totally invented.

I'd tried to draw her similarly to the official design, but changed some minor details to adjust it to my taste .
    A friend of mine noticed the wrongly done face, too. I'll try to re-draw it, if I can improve it I'll post it again.

About blurring the distance background, the problem is that it's very detailed in the full resolution image (specially the "tentacles"), and many details would get lost if I do that. But antways I'll think about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nicely renedered forms. Maybe bring some of the background colors into the foreground or vice versa. Things seem to be too seperated right now. Maybe play with some of the edges on the background objects that are flying, they seem to clean.
    Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's looking like a zBrush painting/model to me. Was it?

Nice work, though!

~.cfb, proud member of the Middle Class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That fog effect is not enought. Try to render less the background and get a blur effect. I think that could work...

...and the head looks too turned to my taste.

pd: Que mal queda lo de portugalete, spain.... mejor portugalete, bilbo, no?.... es coña

Jaku

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, ozimandias!

First your avatar is at eatpoo-level

Second if you go for a fog effect to show the distance you have no choice than bluring/soften the lairds, since this makes the fog a fog...you know...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i guess the picture is too confused right now. you should definitely define areas, emphasize contrasts, and show to the viewer which points are the most important within you image.

i personnaly prefer the background, the atmosphere is quite successful. concerning the sky brighter areas, you could have for exemple added these light tones behind your foreground character, instead of adding touches here and there, it would have emphasized the compo.

the foreground should definitely be reworked a bit in order to obtain richer lights. the character's skin could receive other light tones than the single green, as for now, there is no logical link between both planes.

if you feel like fixing things, you should begin with the general composition and image visibility. it will greatly improve this image. you have done so much already, it would be a shame not trying to achieve this piece a little bit more.

great effort. keep it up. and welcome to CA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aw man...please fix her mastoids (around her mouth)....thats the only thing i think thats making her unatractive.maybe the corners of the mouth should match up to the pupils of the eye. try to grab a reference and smooth this part out. i love your painting. very smooth! sweet ass!

Not quitting my dayjob just yet...
    JohnBoy's Home-Schoolin'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey cool pic, but im pretty sure kerrigan still had clothes on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This picture is so confusing...
    First of all, the shading is the same as it is everywhere else in the picture. That type of shading is also a very shitty way to go about it. Try keeping the shadows on one side of the form instead of both. That will keep it from looking like dookie.

The back round is way to close. It needs to be sent back more. Alot of painters usually saturate backrounds. Adding blue/greys. As things go back, they loos focus. Your back round is very clear.

Your composition is really bad. It looks like you just poped things in randomly. This is probably your biggest problem.

I would make the lair smaller and father back. Remove the hydrolisk? Then i fix those flying guys so they have more order. They look really random. Like you just wanted to include them to beef up the picture.

Now, i'm not saying this is a bad picture, i'm saying it would be ALOT better if you fixed these few things.
    I am saying your shading is bad though. You seem to have put alot of time into this. Which is good. I'd really like to see better shading, this would look awesome.

I'm a tuff critic i know.

Last edited by brokencow; January 26th, 2003 at 05:34 PM.

ozimandias Guest
    Thanks to all.

I've retouched the face a little as blurred the background. Although it still needs work, tell me what do you think.

.Cfb, actually it's a Photoshop image.

Jaku, ya he cambiado eso de la dirección .

Fozzybar, What's a eatpoo-level avatar? Is it good? Anyways, I really like yours .

Sparth, I'm not sure what do you mean as "add these light tones behind your foreground character, instead of adding touches here and there"; if you could show me a sketch of what do you mean or a similar image, I'd really thank you. You know, my English isn't brilliant, so I sometimes can't get the whole sense of what I'm reading, sorry.
    I've redone the colouring to strongly link the queen and the background. As the chick is green (I can't change this), I've changed her edge colouring to show the environment light (I don't know if I've made it worse).

343guiltyspark, yes, she have some clothes in the official design, but as I said, "I'd tried to draw her similarly to the official design, but changed some minor details to adjust it to my taste". I've always found ridiculous to have an hybrid alien born from an egg with clothes on .

Brokencow, I think you're right, but if I have to redo the entire shadowing, it will be like begin again the whole picture, it's way too difficult. But I'll try to do it in next works, thanks.
    Same about the composition, I can't throw half the picture and redo it; but I'll think in resizing the laird, as you suggested. About the flying things, in the game they usually are randomly flying near the base, but it's true that in the picture they make a bad impression.
    Tuff critic? Maybe, but if I didn't wanted critics, I'd post it in the "ooh's and ahhhh's" sub-forum .

Sarah Kerrigan pic.

Please excuse my poor English.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.