Art: Opinions on Hogarths Shading book

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Opinions on Hogarths Shading book

Anyone read through it?

Would this be a book you'd recommend for newbies? such as I, and I'm not talking of concept beginner more of a total beginner.

Any other ideas of WHERE the private lectures should start?, meaning what should one begin to draw, perspective based cars and vehicles / human anatomy / minddrawn pictures / art...

Thanks in advance ppl

/Sam0s

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I own this book for quite a while now (since being a newbie ) and I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. Well, at least not for learning. Rather for inspiration. Hogarth is great but IMO has no didactical qualities. He gives no hints at how to practise, what to practise and so on. Go to a bookstore and leaf through it and you'll see what I mean.

:p

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

true_

yea i catch yer meaning, i came across a site that showed som pages from the book and it seems more of an book to fuel your inspiration-tank as you say, though seems mostly interesting

thanks for yer reply jester

stay dedicated

/ -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i didnt learn much of anything from that book. i have his anatomy and dynamic figure drawing books, and, while they aren't the best books on the subject, i did pick up a few good pointers from them.

i dont really know of a good book on shading, although portrait drawing books are a good way to learn since the face has all sorts of weird shadows and highlights.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the people tht benifet most from hogarth are modelers ! his shading to me is more shaded around each muscle rather than true shading if you ask me however i recently bought bridgmans guide to life drawing and have learned far more about shading and drawing the figure in general but everyone has difrent ways of learning id defenitly suggest bridgmans though !

I also agree on the potrait book coment david graves has a very old booki belive thats his name that is about painting portraits back in tthe 50s has some great drawing shading tips in it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

guess_

cerreto_ - if you're reffering to 3d-modelling than it might be usefull in my case. and the fact that hogarth specifies around the muscles makes it even more interesting...

about bridgeman, yes, many point me to that direction and I somehow always see him as a version of Loomis, same stuff different names...though i guess im wrong, gonna cheq up on him. thanks mate

MrSmith - yah portraits is a must they say...havent gotten that far yet, but i'll prioritize it even higher ... cheers mate

thanks all for givin me some insight

peace

/ -

Chonkie Guest
    I like the dynamic drawing book.... I am not very good at drawing figures without refs, but dynamic drawing book helped me to see some of the things i don't normally see

hogarth is the man, he makes up figures so easily and it fools the eye to believe it's real, the way he shades things shows how well he knows the material and shape he is drawing, not only the texture but also the bone structure.

ie. look at the hands he draws and the flow of his lines..it's simply awesome.

cerreto: what book is that? by bridgmans? can you give me the ispn number and the full title?

thank you!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.