Art: Droid 01

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Droid 01

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Droid 01

A character design for a short film, hope you like it.

Droid 01

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That looks great.
    I'm very curious about the movie. It would be nice to see your character traveling trough some beatifull nature. How will it react if it met a jong deer. hehe Maybe you had other plans but I think you're character inspires to create some rich contast environments.
    Ofcourse the simple way has plenty of good possibilities too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastically rendered, but I feel like i've seen it before due to the somewhat unoriginal design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the nice comments!

Meren - The environment i'm putting him in is a futuristic one, because of the context of the story, though i like your idea of such a contrasting setting. Perhaps i shall try that out as an experiment on the side...

Nudkik - I agree it does look a bit too familiar... i guess that's a pitfall of droids that look this antrophomorphic - i will try working on some different, less humanoid shapes. Should be interesting...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nevertheless nice details :p

Piru's Portfolio - Piru.be - WACOM Buying Guide - SHOW your STUDIOS!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Uziel's SB! - Piru's Sketchbook & Epias' Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa, I just finished playing the demo of American McGee's Scrapland (all characters are robots) and now this is the first thread I see. I'll say this as a complement: it looks a lot like what I saw in the game.

I challenge anyone to make a droid that DOESN'T look familiar in the anthropomorphic style. Face it, we've seen so many humanoid robots, we've become jaded to them. If the film is released on the web, it'd be really cool if you could link it in this thread ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here you go... another one!

Droid 01

Loosely based on this earlier design:

Droid 01

I cheated by using the same feet as droid-01, i guess they are from the same factory.
    When the short film gets finished (couple more weeks at least), i'll put a link to it at the end of this thread.

I thought the anthropomorphic robots in I, robot looked pretty original - but i REALLY liked the old robots that get replaced early in the film. I wish there were pictures of those on the web, but if there are i sure can't find 'em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that the robots in I, Robot looked quite original... it was a pretty innovative design. Are you talking about the older models that the new, plasticy robots replaced? I was sorta fond of them too, they had that high-tech yet clunky look to them.

This newer design you submitted looks a lot more original. It actually reminds me of a game I EXTENSIVELY played a demo of called Roboforge. Let you design robots from hundreds of parts and program them to fight autonomously (it actually simulated every fight based upon the AI and design of each robot, and calculated damage using physics).

It's a lot less humanoid, and yet just enough to be non-vehicular (it seems most robots are either humanoid, animal-like, or vehicle-like) this one seems pretty much in a class of it's own.

I think the leg layout is a nifty touch though. Just the way they are made is interesting, two legs on each side on the same axle. I think it's a great idea.

I can't really provide any technical input on a 3d model. Because I nearly committed suicide trying to learn gmax (exaggerating, of course) and I am not very familiar with modeling. I know a lot of basics (I can even make a 3d face provided I haven't forgotten too much) but nothing too fancy (such as this).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the kind comment.

It was really difficult to learn 3Ds max for me - it took me at least two years to get to this (merely adequate) stage. I recommend learning from video tutorials (from 3D Buzz for example) as well as the standard 3Dmax help file and tutorials, which are excellent.

I used Zbrush and Photoshop to make the textures and 3Ds max to model and render. Check out Zbrush, its really cool. It took me one day to make the last droid, including painting and rendering.

http://pixologic.com/home/home.shtml - ZBRUSH modelling and texturing software
    http://www.3Dbuzz.com - Free video tutorials for 3Ds Max and other software.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.