Thanks

Reverting to graphic design?

Thats right, dun dun dun... graphic design. logos and letterheads, i'd design the look of spam mail. oooo fun

I got a call this morning while sleeping about an entry level graphic design job, I cant even recall most the conversation. Macs, photoshop, and designing pens???? weird. It was one of those agency dealios.

Just wondered what everyone thinks about doin graphic design to pass the time, as it is not a goal of mine. Any related experiences? Should I suck it up, and just do it? Or keep looking for entry level game studio/freelance art jobs? I think I'd rather do QA haha.
    Motivation...gone.

Sketchbook be here...

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Graphic Design is the route I've gone down, and in my experience there is a real benefit to getting into graphic design as a means of working your way into other fields. Graphic design is so vague that if you tell someone you're a graphic designer, they have no idea what the hell you do. It could really mean anything, and because it's so wide open, I think you have more freedom to sort of carve your own path. I've had a few different jobs over the last few years, and each one has brought me closer to something that I could see myself doing as a career. I started out doing some pretty boring stuff, but I was able to move around a bit and got myself into a job as a software interface designer. I work mostly with educational software, so its not like game interface design, but it is a step in a much better direction than where I started out.

I say go for the graphic design job. Give it six months or so and see where it takes you. Maybe it'll suck, so you'll quit. But at least then you will have some work experience in a creative profession (even if its not your ideal profession), and some cash in your pocket.

You might even find out that there are more interesting things that you'll be responsible for in that job. I thought I was just going to be doing interface design here, and primarily that is what I do. But I also get to to a little illustration work and even some character design, which I had no idea I would be doing. Give it a shot. You never know what you might end up doing there, or where that job might lead you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by helix7
    Graphic design is so vague that if you tell someone you're a graphic designer, they have no idea what the hell you do.

hah, this made me laugh.....at how true it is....

Thanks
    Graphic design is a very good skill to have. I put myself through school doing graphic design. I learned a lot and I can always fall back on it if I have to.
    I'd say go for it. Might as well be making some money in an art-related field while you're going for your dream.

emily

P.S. I had a teacher describe graphic design this way: "You'll spend the rest of your life trying to explain to your family exactly what it is that you do."

Thanks
    Thanks helix and emily. I think I'll give em a call tomorrow to get details. One question she asked me that is always a toughy in interviews... "How much do you want to be payed." I have a few "politician" answers, but would appreciate any idea for average base salary.

Experience, as irrelevant as it is, I think would be good as well. Not to mention extra money for San Fran !
    Motivation...gone.

Sketchbook be here...

Thanks
    Well starting salary depends on alot of things, but generally an entry level design position pays in the neighborhood of $30k. I've got this great book on design careers and it has a salary guide, but it's categorized by specializations. If you can tell me a bit about what kind of company it is (Corporate design team, independant graphic design studio, interactive design agency, inteeractive design team within corporate, ad agency, etc.) and also anything else you can tell me about the job, I might be able to give you a better number.

But generally speaking, don't say anything less than $30k, and I think you can even ask for $35k for an entry level job and let them throw a lower number at you if thats too high. Don't be afraid to shoot a little higher than you think you can. If you go too low and they agree to it, you'll be kicking yourself for not aiming higher.