Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Sanby - Sheridan Portfolio stuff, I need Help!

Ok, here is my sketchbook, following in the footsteps of the all so mighty MindCandyMan. He has inspired me to take initiative and learn how to draw/paint. I will sketch at least one sketch everyday and hopefully more. I will always post them here, no matter how bad I think they are. Please tear them apart, as it's the only way I will learn. I look forward to reading comments about the sketches so that I can move forward wit my ability. I have officialy started this daily ritual as of Oct. 4, 2004. So, here are my first sketches.

This is a doodle I did in english class. I was working on perspective. It was really light, so I amped up the contrast, it is acctually drawn with a pencil. BTW, this was done before Oct. 4

A tank I drew while hanging out with some friends. Done in pen, again, working on perspective.

Another tank, done in my sketchbook. Working on perspective. Damn scanner cut off the top and bottom though, O well.

These are the first sketches in my daily routine, done on Oct 4.

Sanby
    Last edited by Sanby; January 15th, 2006 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks
    cool mate keep going do it every day no matter waht !

Thanks
    liam.c : thanks for the reply and encouragement.

Ok, here are todays sketches.

This first one I did realy quickly to see if I could get the shape down fast (1-2 minutes)

These are some more hands. I enjoy drawing hands even though they are very difficult, I'm not sure why. I started drawing the hand on the right, a little too close to the edge, that is why it is cut off, it wasn't the scanner. The other thing is a pot that a plant is in.

I have a few questions also. Such as:

What are some good books to get a hold of?

This is a wierd one. When I draw, the pencil always get dull so quickly so I end up with really fat and furry lines. What do you guys to do to prevent this?

I am intersted in 3D modeling and animation, that is why I want to get a solid foundation in drawing/painting. I am in grade 11, so I need to start looking to the future. I am thinking I would like to go to sheridan, but I am not sure exactly how to go about it. I saw another thread about something similar. If I take art fundies in my first year (years?) then I don't need a portfolio to get in? Then I can build one and move on to more advanced stuff, or the 3D thing? Anyway info would help, thanks.

And, as always, please comment and give me some tips.

Sanby

Thanks
    My internet went down yesterday so I couldn't post. So, here is yesterdays and today sketches.

For some reason, every time I scan and image in, I feel it looks less impressive then the actual drawing. Anyone else find this?

These are from 10/6/04. Two hans, and a sheriffs badge (I do know how to spell sheriff, but I ended up with not enough room, so I just left it)

This is from today, 10/7/04. It's a gameboy colour. I want to continue on this, bu I didn't have anything but my mechanical pencil, and it is a pain in the ass to try and shade with.

I would love some comments and critique, to know what you think, and so I can improve.

Also, if people could answer some of the questions from the previous post that would be awesome.

Lastly, I bought "Drawing on the right side of the brain yesterday", and so far it looks great. I haven't had a chance to try any of the exercises cause of school stuff, but I hope to do some this weekend. And, I will for sure post the results.

Sanby

Thanks
    good choice on the book ... every one i know that has acutly done the exersizes has progressed verry quickly ! so make shure you do them work on those basic shaps and perspective <i know kinda boreing but doesnt take long > and grab up an anatomy book ... do studys from that as thay are then try it your self with soem thing fun with waht you just learned for me ,i find that works pretty well

Thanks
    Yesterday I was gonna post, but it got very late, and I needed to get up early. So, again I am posting two days worth of sketches.

This is a drawing of my hand. It is the first little exercise in "Drawing on the Right side of the Brain" It is a vefore picture, so that once I have finished the book, I can look back and judge my progress.

This also is from the first exercise of "before pictures" It is a portrait from memory.

Lastly, this is a self-portrait, still from the first exercise.

BTW, what is a mech sharpener. Someone on the forum said they were good, but I don't know what it is.

Sanby

Thanks
    (((((Hey Sanby. One thing you can do to keep you pencil sharp is to just keep a sharpener handy. whenever your lead starts getting low just shapen it. I prefer to use drafting/ mechanicle pencils. you never have to shapen them. I find a 0.5 drafting pencil is really good for drawing. And thanks for checking out my stuff, and wising me up to my display prob.)))

Quote Originally Posted by Sanby
    liam.c : thanks for the reply and encouragement.

Ok, here are todays sketches.

This first one I did realy quickly to see if I could get the shape down fast (1-2 minutes)

These are some more hands. I enjoy drawing hands even though they are very difficult, I'm not sure why. I started drawing the hand on the right, a little too close to the edge, that is why it is cut off, it wasn't the scanner. The other thing is a pot that a plant is in.

I have a few questions also. Such as:

What are some good books to get a hold of?

This is a wierd one. When I draw, the pencil always get dull so quickly so I end up with really fat and furry lines. What do you guys to do to prevent this?
    I am intersted in 3D modeling and animation, that is why I want to get a solid foundation in drawing/painting. I am in grade 11, so I need to start looking to the future. I am thinking I would like to go to sheridan, but I am not sure exactly how to go about it. I saw another thread about something similar. If I take art fundies in my first year (years?) then I don't need a portfolio to get in? Then I can build one and move on to more advanced stuff, or the 3D thing? Anyway info would help, thanks.

And, as always, please comment and give me some tips.

Sanby

Thanks
    Grizz: Thanks for the tip. I do tend to keep a sharpener with me when I sketch. I have also fond a snadpaper pad that I keep with me as well.

Anyway, I suck at updating. I haven't posted any stuff for way to long. I am going to try and get in the habit again of doing it daily. Here goes.

These are gestures out of a comic book, which someone suggested to do. It really is wicked. Within ten minutes I could see an improvement. I started using more flowing, long strokes. My confidence increased, and it really helpd me to just let things flow, rather then to be really exact and have crappy line quality.

Out of an ad I found. It's not done, meh

So I went ot a Barenaked ladies concert last tuesday, the 21st. We went out to a restaurant first and their I sketched my brother, he was sitting beside me.

After that, we went to the concert hall, and their was this guy standing outside. So, when we got to our seats, I tried to sketch him from memory.

Lastly, here is something inspired by Rowan, cause I love his sketchbook stuff.

Sanby

Thanks

Keep it up !!!

Hey Sanby,

Don't worry about replying late - I know what you mean - my school and work are also keeping me busy.

About your question - I'm - lets say- intermediate in the anatomy study so I can't really give you one good way of learning it. I can only tell you my approach.

Some time ago when I started learning anatomy I just learned the basics - about general muscle shapes etc. I tried applying it to my drawings and it kinda worked fine for me for some time. But later I noticed that I do most of the anatomy intuitive - without really knowing what is happening there. I thought about it and decided that it no longer satisfies me. So I'm learning anatomy from the begining. First: I decided to take small steps - I study one region of human body at a time to keep myself focused. I started with arms. Don't really know why, I know that I maybe should begin with the head or something else, but arms came first. I gathered as much materials about arms - books (Loomis, some polish books, some spanish e-books I found on the internet), photos and anatomy drawings for medical students (all found on the internet) photos of athlets and fitness models. Anything I could find on the internet and I considered worthy went right into a special folder on my hard drive. This way I have now a huge library of anatomy refs. I started drawing - first the bones. Arms are pretty easy - only three bones to remember so i also incorporated othre surrounding bones like scapula and clavicle - because they're linked. Than I started adding some muscles etc. And so on

You're a begginer so try to learn more about proportions of the human body first - than go to details.

What is more important for artist is not to know all the names and details but to know how it works. I dont need to know the names of the muscles that turn the forearm but I have to know how they look like, where they are and how will they behave etc. If you want to draw good human/animal figures from your head than you'll definitely need to know this.

About remembering - don't worry that it's not soaking in immediately - because it just won't - you need a lot of practice to learn anatomy. You have to draw it at least couple of times to remember. Remember to think when you're drawing not just draw to make it look like in the picture but remember and try to understand.

Recent stuff - it's getting better - I can still see progress - the linework is improving a lot although you still need to work on shading. I don't know - maybe it your scanner's fault that these are very light. If that's the case - try increasing contrast after scanning. If not - don't be afraid to use darker values. I'm assuming you're using HB or 2B - you can really get more darks out of them

That's all from me - sorry to write that much - but you asked it
    Sketchbook
    Sketch(up)book
    Blog
    Twitter
    ------------------------------------------------------
    TEAM CHOW - Nasty Sausages
    CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
    The Ocean Collective

Thanks
    Here is a quick one before I go to bed. I've stayed up too late as it is, playing Half-Life2. I drew this last night out of the bridgeman book. I decided a rest from drawing arms was a good idea.

Sanby

Thanks
    K, another update and 2 questions.

I found that during a school project where we had to sketch buggs out of magazines, I found a lot of inspiration for robots. Anyway, the bugs were what I was supposed to be drawing but I got a little off track.

Also from the same project. This time, I was on track though. Neither are finished.

Now, on to the questions.

1. Not very important, but I am interested to know. I generally sketch with the same 2B pencil, and I go through it pretty damn quick from sharpening it so often. How long does it take you to finish a pencil?

2. K, now on to a bit more serious stuff. My art teacher is going to take a bunch of us downtown to go for a three hour life drawing session. Apparently these sessions happen every weekend, and you can get in for about $10. I am really excited to go, but I have never done any figure drawing before. How should I approach it, and do you have and tips for me to keep in mind.

Sanby

Thanks
    Nice stuff,

I can see that you are a rookie but i'm already seeing some good things. There's still bunch of things for you to work on like anatomy and values.
    The only advice I have for you though is to work daily - it's the most important thing for a beginner to draw daily. Whenever you have time. Even 10 minutes of drawing on a bus is better than not drawing at all.

Keep it up. Draw every day. Work some more on shading and spend a bit more time on your drawings - f.e. do some lineworks and than finish one. Don't care about the pencils and paper - this are only the tools, they use up, get destroyed, lost and loads of other stuff - but what you never loose is what you've learned with them. Play with them.

Try using mechanical pencils maybe.

My tips for figure drawing would be - don't concentrate on details too soon, try to draw the overall form first - get the proportions good than do some shading etc. Learning anatomy always helps.
    Sketchbook
    Sketch(up)book
    Blog
    Twitter
    TEAM CHOW - Nasty Sausages
    CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
    The Ocean Collective

Thanks
    Hi Sanby
    I am really impressed with how much progress you have made since oct 4th.
    About that pencil question you asked, 0.5mm pencils never need sharpening but personally I do not like to use them. To keep a pencil sharp, I just keep sharpening it,as annoying as that is. Or depending on the pencil type you can keep rotating it and working on its most pointed part/dull part. I do use a 2.00 mm lead holder and I can go through 1 in 2 days if I use a pencil a lot. Maybe try a ball point pen now and again? They never seem to run out of ink.
    About the teddy bear shading question, I guess I would try out small patches of what ever his fur looks like on some other peice of paper, and then try to copy whatever light pattern I like from life. Fur texture I find rather difficult so I often test a lot if I don't feel confident and even then sometimes it is a failure.
    Godluck with the life drawing session!

Thanks
    1. Not very important, but I am interested to know. I generally sketch with the same 2B pencil, and I go through it pretty damn quick from sharpening it so often. How long does it take you to finish a pencil?

2B's go, fast. I kill 2Bs without even using them as my main pencil. If you try and keep them sharp they go in no time flat.

If I'm home and have everything on hand, I do an initial sketch with a 4H wood or a .03mm H mechanical, then I draw over it with an HB, and then I use a 2B for the darks. I alternate back and forth, but my point is that I only break out the 2B when necessary.

2. K, now on to a bit more serious stuff. My art teacher is going to take a bunch of us downtown to go for a three hour life drawing session. Apparently these sessions happen every weekend, and you can get in for about $10. I am really excited to go, but I have never done any figure drawing before. How should I approach it, and do you have and tips for me to keep in mind.

For a while I attended a local 6$ per session life drawing thingy. They've since stopped the program, but as soon as they get going I'll be right back there. It's a fantastic experience. I definitely recommend bringing a minimum of tools and just trying to get the basic forms and values down. Personally, I like using a middle ground to dark grey paper along with a dark and a light valued pastel. Alternately you could just use a pencil. It's more an excercise in seeing. Oh, and the weirdest thing is.. it gets quiet. I've heard this from others as well. All you can usually hear is the sound of pencils (or whatever) on paper. It's a bit weird in that way.

Have fun, learn, and post the results!

-Craig

Thanks
    thirdeye: I have not been as consistent as I would like to been when it comes to drawing daily I am getting better, but I still need to work on it. Thanks for the advice though, I am going to start carrying alittle sketch book with me everywhere so if there is a moment, I can draw. Thanks also for the advice on figure drawing. It is going to come in handy big time when I go.

grudge: Thanks for the reply. It looks like I am going to have to stock up on pencils : ) also, I guess I will try working on the teddy bear again. I'll have to play around.

Craig Houghton: I am going to try what you said. Mainly, I always sketch with the same pencil, but I'll brake out some of the others now. Thanks for the info on the life-drawing session. I am not sure what to expect, so I good heads up and some info is great. At least now I won't freak out when everybody gets all quiet. I haven't really drawn with anything but a pencil, but I ahve seen many many figre drawings done in pastel or charcoal. Maybe I'll get both and give them both a go to see how I like them

Thanks for the replies. I don't have any picture right now, but I will later.

I do have a few more questions.

I ahve noticed on some drawings, that the initial quick sketch was done in blue and then the good part was done in regular pencil. Are these special technical blue pencils, or just pencil crayons?

Also, that Bridgeman book is great, but I find it hard to differentiate between different muscles. What book would I find a good outline of all the muscles in? Loomis?

Sanby

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast