Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    I agree with thirdeye; you'll know when you'vel earned something when it just comes to you as you're drawing. You'll try to draw a torso and suddenly you can picture exactly how the pectoral muscles would look in that position. It just...pops in there, since you've looked at so much reference. It's becomes natural.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but here's a good site for getting started with shifting one's mindset in regards to drawing heads:

http://www.anticz.com/heads.htm

It definitely healped me =P

Good luck!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    A lot of improvement, good job Sorry I don't have much advice for you that hasn't been said already. I do notice your drawings are rather light. Are you just using one pencil or do you switch between different pencils? Just wondering...keep on drawing!
    Ok, I'm done posting... Back to drawin'!

Ephesians 2:8
    Sketchbooks Finished: 9 (Dec 17, 2006)

Thanks
    Those gestures are really good ! Next time you do those, you could try to flesh them out a bit more (start like those, then add circles or so for the joints (elbows, knees), and simple forms for the body parts (spine, chest, shoulders, hips, arms, legs, feet). This also goes for every drawing, be it from memory or a copy from reference ... start with the simple forms, get the proportions right, only then go to the details and the rendering ... you're already doing this in your last drawings actually, I really like that portrait of your brother.
    Keep studying Loomis, I am going through the books in pretty much order as they are written, but I jump from one book to another if I feel I'm lacking in that area (figure - head - perspective ... hands not yet), I'm not sure if that's the best approach, but it works for me. The most important I think, is just to keep going ... strive to improve your knowledge, not to perfect it the first time you go through the books.

Great advice from thirdeye ! That could have been a description of my own approach, lol. Not even sure if I said anything new above, heh.

Thanks
    lavhoes: Thanks for the link bud, it is good stuff. It's very much the same as loomis' approach.

SirRon: Thanks for the encouragement. It depends at the time, sometimes I use one pencil, and try and get the biggest range out of that as possible, and sometimes I use a couple. When I did the life drawing stuff below, I used something light to do a quick sketch underneath, and then I went over in a darker pencil.

NightVision: Sorry it took so long to reply, but I did take your advice to heart, and have been working on that since you posted. I started using Vilpuu's approach, then combined Vilpuu and Loomis, and now I am pretty much doing what Loomis says in his book.

Here is some new stuff. My mom has had some problems with her computer, and thus I haven't been able to transfer any scans from her computer to mine until today.

So, her goes.

From my first life drawing session ever. I had tonnes of fun, it was about 3 hours, and I am going to go every weekend if possible.
    Sanby - Sheridan Portfolio stuff, I need Help!

Another from that same session. The model was holding a long pose

And, this is done with photo reference. I like how these turned out, they were more of a rendering study then anything. My main inspiration is Thirdeye's rendering, because I really love the way it looks and feels.

Sanby

Thanks
    K, I did this with reference. It took me a while, first I had to kind psych myself up to do all the detailed stuff, because I didn't know where to start etc.. Then, Once I was going, it was lot's of fun, but I don't know how long it took. This is more of a rendering/style study, and I am happy with it. Although, I realize now that the front filter is way off. Anyway, I can't wait until I can do this without ref.

Sanby

Thanks
    Ok, I had a very productive day today, I was drawing a lot and it was tonnes of fun, so without out further bla bla her are the pictures.

this is acctually from a few days ago. Some arms with ref, and then the start of an actualy creature thing. It was kewl because it was the first time that I could acctually come up with something and put it on paper from my head, it was really exciting. It is inspired big time by thirdeye.

Arms studies and then a very muscular arm with ref. Thanks again for the arms stuf Thirdeye.

Question: Can anyone give me tips on posing figures. Anything at all, that you think might help. I am trying to use Loomis' simpler manakin, but I find it hard to get posed right.

Sanby

Thanks
    No one has any comments for me?

Sanby

Thanks
    Quick image dump, I'll talk later. All unfinished, not going to finish or gesture.

Sanby

Thanks
    An attempt at rendering this guy. I really need to stretch the values further.

And, this is the start of something new I am going to try. I am going to come up with atleast one idea everyday, i.e. chracter, environment, w/e. It may just be a scribble, and I am not worried about it being anatomically correct, it is just to get the creativity going. Sometimes I feel like I have a lack of ideas, so it is more of an inpriational kind of exercise, for creativity.

PLEASE REPLY!!!!

Sanby

Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 469 Posts
    hi !

its looking good, keep on practising !

one thing to think about, try to give your form extra shapes, not bigger lines, more roundness in the shades, the latest head you posted tells me that you need to figure out more how to draw a "3d" shape, and not to shade a piece of paper if you understand what im trying to explain... compare it to the gasmask renderstudy... that one has alot of form and shape, you need to copy that way of thinking and viewing as you did there into your imagination...

i'll stop rambling now

cheers, and draw draw !

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Thanks very much for the reply. Your critique is really informative, and just what I need.

Sanby

Thanks
    Went to another life drawing session today. This is now my second, and it was just as fun as the first, especially knowing what to expect going in. Anyway, it was along pose and here is what I have. Overall I am happy with it. I can see lot's of stuff wrong with it, mainly her left leg really buggs me, the outside of her calf is way to round. Plus I didn't make the left side of her body dark enough. O well, things to keep in mind next time. It also is way to small, and I need to work on using the whole page.

Sanby

Thanks
    K, here is a quick one. Done with ref from an awesome magazine I found lying around. If you ever need refs for muscles, grab a muscle mag, duh, tonnes of full page pictures of crazy muscle, not just guys either. I tried to push the values more on this one.

Sanby

Thanks
    Hi Sanby,

Great thread, youve made ALOT of progress with your anatomy. ANd good values too! You should try figuring out the planes of the head a bit more so you can block them out, I think it will make your heads alot stronger! If you can get ahold of a PDF or hardcopy of some Andrew Loomis, he's the best for that IMO.

feeeeeeesh
    feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh
    -----------------------------------------
    ART - MUSIC - Vimeo - YouTube - IMDb - SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Thanks, I have got the pdfs of the loomis books and I printed them out. The thing that I found hard about the plains of the head, was that he only has one picture, from like a 3/4 angle. So, I found it tough to do, and I stopped for a while. Maybe it was just that I found it hard in gneral and I came up with an excuse and woosed out. I'll get back at i though.

thanks for the kind words.

Sanby

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast