Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanby - Sheridan Portfolio stuff, I need Help!

Thanks
    thirdeye: I have not been as consistent as I would like to been when it comes to drawing daily I am getting better, but I still need to work on it. Thanks for the advice though, I am going to start carrying alittle sketch book with me everywhere so if there is a moment, I can draw. Thanks also for the advice on figure drawing. It is going to come in handy big time when I go.

grudge: Thanks for the reply. It looks like I am going to have to stock up on pencils : ) also, I guess I will try working on the teddy bear again. I'll have to play around.

Craig Houghton: I am going to try what you said. Mainly, I always sketch with the same pencil, but I'll brake out some of the others now. Thanks for the info on the life-drawing session. I am not sure what to expect, so I good heads up and some info is great. At least now I won't freak out when everybody gets all quiet. I haven't really drawn with anything but a pencil, but I ahve seen many many figre drawings done in pastel or charcoal. Maybe I'll get both and give them both a go to see how I like them

Thanks for the replies. I don't have any picture right now, but I will later.

I do have a few more questions.

I ahve noticed on some drawings, that the initial quick sketch was done in blue and then the good part was done in regular pencil. Are these special technical blue pencils, or just pencil crayons?

Also, that Bridgeman book is great, but I find it hard to differentiate between different muscles. What book would I find a good outline of all the muscles in? Loomis?

Sanby
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey Sanby, you made a lot a progress since your first post. A suggestion is to work on your line work instead of linework + shading. Shading gets in the way, its like the 2nd level, how can you do that if you cannot conquer the 1st level (linework) first? what you could work on is line weight to indicate the shadows. for example a ball- darker at the bottom of the ball and very light at the top where the light hits the ball. What I do like though is that i notice that your current drawings are not fuzzy like your first ones, that shows confidence.

a suggestion for preparing for your life drawing class is learning proportions and if you look at that loomis site he has a grid for it. Trust me, it makes A HUGE DIFFERENCE. For your first time, i would say not to get caught up in drawing the face, more of getting the whole picture. You want the legs to look as if it can support the body- again loomis has pages and pages on this stuff.

Hmm on learning anatomy, I dont really recommend bridgeman, his stuff is advanced in my opinion. All i can say is make sure you know your muscles and dont cheat out of it by learning his massing of muscles way. Its fine if you know the muscles first but dont jump straight into just massing muscles. Further more, try not to just copy, you can get pix of arms and try to draw the muscles in with a pen. personally i study from jeno barscays book then i go back to look at bridgemans. trying to draw different poses of the arm/whatever from your imagination with the knowlege you have of the muscle placement will make a difference.

On your pencil thing, what i do is i just use regular HB pencils- I bought a huge pack of them, like 6 boxes of 12 pencils each. its less than 5 bucks and its been lasting me. KNow that these are just sketches and studies so no need to go fancy .But i did buy a staedler brand pack of 16 pencils ranging from 6h-8b for more of final artwork type things.

goodluck and I hope some of this jabbering helped

Thanks
    Thanks for the response LadyLioness.

I took your post to heart and tried to work on what you suggested. I grabbed my gas mask and started to draw it with no intention of shading it. I tried to work on nice smooth lines, but I still find it very hard. I also am having huge difficulties with drawing round stuff, such as the filters on the mask. Any tip son how to improve on this?

BTW, this is only half done, the left filter and the little breathing thing on the front aren't complete. I kind gave up on them. I know that's bad, but I just couldn't get the elipses right. I am going to go back and try it again soon.
    Sanby - Sheridan Portfolio stuff, I need Help!

Thanks to a thread I found were someone posted a link to download loomis's books, I now have started on how to draw heads. I know you said to not focus on the head, but I have seen this study done by so many people so many times that I really wanted to try. I am going to move onto the body real soon though. For now, here is my start with the head study. Can people give me feedback about how to improve on these?

And yes, your jabbering did help

Sanby

Thanks
    Hello again Sanby...

I ahve noticed on some drawings, that the initial quick sketch was done in blue and then the good part was done in regular pencil. Are these special technical blue pencils, or just pencil crayons?
    (look I found the quote tool!) anyway, I'm not exactly sure what your referring to by blue lines, but a "COPY NOT" pencil came to mind when I read your question. As near as I can tell from playing around with a copy not and my scanner; they scan as blue in color scan mode, they scan not at all in black and white mode, unless you use a lot of pressure. Maybe those are the blue lines you were asking about.

Also, that Bridgeman book is great, but I find it hard to differentiate between different muscles. What book would I find a good outline of all the muscles in? Loomis?
    I use Brune Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy. It has good outlines of muscles, but it is a headache to read.

Not owning a gas mask I can't really comment on the one you posted I have also been recently working on the head, some from Hogarth and some from that plastic head plane model thing, so I'll comment as I can. The last head third row down is the most convincing to me, the jaw line reads nicely and the brow ridge/nose seem correct, something about the shape of the cranial mass does seem incorrect to me. Take my advice with a grain of salt though, as I am still learning this stuff myself.

Thanks
    Well, here is another update.

More head studies from bridgeman. I am starting to get better, but still need some guidance.

these are two quick sketches of my dad playing trumpet, and by bro at his computer. I had to mess with the levels though cause I drew them super light.

And, finally another SP. I am going to start working alot more on these. It is a huge leap from my first one, but I kinda look like a cross between me and I don't know what. My lips are gigantic. I also had to up the levels in this one.

grudge: THanks for the reply. I will try and find an example of what I am talking about, but I don't think that we are talking about the same thing, becaues when I was at Sheridan college I saw a picture up that had the blue sketch underneath. Also, I'll look into Brune Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy and see if I want to buy it : )

Sanby
    Last edited by Sanby; November 29th, 2004 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks
    Ok, I have two new SP's here. I think I will start trying to do at least one of these a day. I don't have a good back ( I was born with it) so, by the end of these I was in so much pain. I was sitting on the floor cross legged in front of a mirror, and wow, did it hurt.

I know the eyes are completely different but I left them because they were drving me insane!

I decided to the throw on the gas mask just for fun.

BTW, I just noticed on my last post, I posted the images wrong. I fixxed them now, so if you decided to reply, can you take a look at that stuff too?

Thnx

Sanby

Thanks
    hey sanby

i can see progress on the sp's, keep at it

try to pay more attention to line wieght tho.(lay down some dark contours where the shadows are and etc.) it will improve your work so much

Thanks
    Ok, I am on a three day streak, of drawing a SP a day. WooHoo! I tried to work aon line weight like you sidi arghmisfit, but I need lot's more practice.

Here is one I did in Painter.
    Ok, fine I didn't do it in Painter. I took a picture of myself so you can see what I really look like, and compare it to my SP's. I kinda look pissed off or something tho. O well.

So, here is today's. The eyes are really driving me nuts. I read somewhere that the eyes are one of the most importan things ( that and mouth I think it was) If you get those right, then you can screw up everything else and still recognize the person. I am not sure how I am doing with these, because after staring at myself for a while in the mirror, it kind of distorts your judgement I think. So, can you let me know if their is any resemblance?

And, because those eyes were driving me krazy, I decided to try and work on them up close. (Plus their is half a hand I started to draw)

Sanby

Thanks
    This is one I did in class. It took a bit over an hour. It's done on newsprint, cause the teacher had my sketchbook. Man, I hate drawing on newsprint.

Sanby

Thanks
    Dude...amazing progress from the first image...
    Although i agree studying Bridgman is awesome...supplement and apply what you learn to everything...copy magzine using the same principles...

Go to www.awn.com
    Do a search for Glenn Vilppu....print every single one of his lessons...study them in order...do not move on to the next lesson until you trully understand each one...

Also check out The Human Figure by John Vanderpool..
    And purchase the Art of Star Wars Episode 1-2....gives you a general idea on where you might want to go with your art and how versatile you should be...

Thanks

Newbie not seeing artwork?!!

Hi, I just joined this forum and can't see any of the artwork. I used to visit this site some time ago and there used to be tons of stuff. Where is it?

Thanks
    I am sorry, I am not sure why you can't see any artwork, everything is working fine for me.

bRyaN:, Thanks dude for the all the tips on the books to buy, this is exactly what I wanted. I am going to go right now and search for them. BTW, on that website, the articles I should be looking at are the articles in the magazine right? i.e. Vilppu Drawing Online: Gesture

Sanby
    Last edited by Sanby; December 3rd, 2004 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks
    Yea the magazines....

He has many many many lessons and i recommend all of them....i printed them all up and take them everywhere i go...

Also check out my sketch book, cause i had the same problem drawing eyes for a while so i focused a page on eyes...
    i

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast