Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    hey sanby

i can see progress on the sp's, keep at it

try to pay more attention to line wieght tho.(lay down some dark contours where the shadows are and etc.) it will improve your work so much

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Ok, I am on a three day streak, of drawing a SP a day. WooHoo! I tried to work aon line weight like you sidi arghmisfit, but I need lot's more practice.

Here is one I did in Painter.
    Sanby - Sheridan Portfolio stuff, I need Help!
    Ok, fine I didn't do it in Painter. I took a picture of myself so you can see what I really look like, and compare it to my SP's. I kinda look pissed off or something tho. O well.

So, here is today's. The eyes are really driving me nuts. I read somewhere that the eyes are one of the most importan things ( that and mouth I think it was) If you get those right, then you can screw up everything else and still recognize the person. I am not sure how I am doing with these, because after staring at myself for a while in the mirror, it kind of distorts your judgement I think. So, can you let me know if their is any resemblance?

And, because those eyes were driving me krazy, I decided to try and work on them up close. (Plus their is half a hand I started to draw)

Sanby

Thanks
    This is one I did in class. It took a bit over an hour. It's done on newsprint, cause the teacher had my sketchbook. Man, I hate drawing on newsprint.

Sanby

Thanks
    Dude...amazing progress from the first image...
    Although i agree studying Bridgman is awesome...supplement and apply what you learn to everything...copy magzine using the same principles...

Go to www.awn.com
    Do a search for Glenn Vilppu....print every single one of his lessons...study them in order...do not move on to the next lesson until you trully understand each one...

Also check out The Human Figure by John Vanderpool..
    And purchase the Art of Star Wars Episode 1-2....gives you a general idea on where you might want to go with your art and how versatile you should be...

Thanks

Newbie not seeing artwork?!!

Hi, I just joined this forum and can't see any of the artwork. I used to visit this site some time ago and there used to be tons of stuff. Where is it?

Thanks
    I am sorry, I am not sure why you can't see any artwork, everything is working fine for me.

bRyaN:, Thanks dude for the all the tips on the books to buy, this is exactly what I wanted. I am going to go right now and search for them. BTW, on that website, the articles I should be looking at are the articles in the magazine right? i.e. Vilppu Drawing Online: Gesture

Sanby
    Last edited by Sanby; December 3rd, 2004 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks
    Yea the magazines....

He has many many many lessons and i recommend all of them....i printed them all up and take them everywhere i go...

Also check out my sketch book, cause i had the same problem drawing eyes for a while so i focused a page on eyes...
    i

Thanks
    K, a quick sketch before I go play some cs. This has been half done for weeks now, and so I finally decided to sit down and finish it.

Sanby

Thanks

All OK

All OK. Got the images to display. I am using the new browser Firefox and there was this one thing in the preferences. Gee, got to put my glasses on to look at all this cool stuff!!!

Thanks
    Sanby,

Glad to see that you're making progress - small steps but still

I'd like to throw in my two cents on the topics you are having trouble with - anatomy and drawing circles/elipses.

Two completly different problems - but one simple solution - practice.

Circles and elipses are not hard to learn or understand. Only way to do that is by practice - you'd probably have to draw hundreds of them before your hand remembers it. What you have to do - draw a square and then inscribe a circle inside. With elipses - draw a square in pespective and do a similar thing. Draw small one and big ones - after making about 500 - you'll see the effects

Anatomy - harder than circles but also do-able This is what you do - as someone already said - draw draw draw - everything - from books from photos from life - do not only draw so it looks similar to reality - but also try to understand. F.e. muscles - you won't learn by only drawing from pictures - you have to study it - to understand its structure, insertion points its reactions. This is the way to draw them from your head in the future. See mentler's sketchbook also About the SP's - look at android's daily SP thread - he said that eyes are the most important part of a good portrait - and he always starts with them.

Hope this helps - Keep up the good work

PS. If you need some graphic help with the elipses - just send me a PM i'll prepare something
    Sketchbook
    Sketch(up)book
    Blog
    Twitter
    ------------------------------------------------------
    TEAM CHOW - Nasty Sausages
    CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
    The Ocean Collective

Thanks
    Ok,

thirdeye: Thanks for the huge reply. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I have been bogged down with school stuff the last few days. I finally have the chance to post again. I just re-read your post after a few days, and I am going to try and work on the circles on the weekend. As far as anatomy goes, I was just thinking this morning while drawing out of Loomis's figure drawing book that I am not sure if any of what I am doing is soaking in. I am drawing, but I am not sure how much of it I am acctualy remembering. I think some of it is slowly being internalized, because when I draw people from my head, that are starting to look like people. How would you suggest "studying" the anatomy? I find it hard to look at all the muscle names a bone names and associate those with anything, so it their a more visual way of doing it?

Anyway, since I haven't posted for a while here is a big dump of stuff.

Loomis hand and eye, and my own eye

Some doodles that I did while at my sisters dance performance thing

HAd serious lack of inspiration this day, and didn't know what to draw. When that happens I turn to my Bridgeman book, and I just sketch out of their. I find it inspirational, because I like the way he concetrates on form and exagerating it.

Stuff from the last two days at lunch out of Loomis' figure drawing

More loomis, kind crooked, but I get the theory behind it

LAstly, a SP from today. I haven't been succesful in my one per day, but I still have done a bunch. Those fucking eyes are still drving me crazy tho.

Sanby

Thanks
    (((((Hey Sanby. One thing you can do to keep you pencil sharp is to just keep a sharpener handy. whenever your lead starts getting low just shapen it. I prefer to use drafting/ mechanicle pencils. you never have to shapen them. I find a 0.5 drafting pencil is really good for drawing. And thanks for checking out my stuff, and wising me up to my display prob.)))

Quote Originally Posted by Sanby
    liam.c : thanks for the reply and encouragement.

Ok, here are todays sketches.

This first one I did realy quickly to see if I could get the shape down fast (1-2 minutes)

These are some more hands. I enjoy drawing hands even though they are very difficult, I'm not sure why. I started drawing the hand on the right, a little too close to the edge, that is why it is cut off, it wasn't the scanner. The other thing is a pot that a plant is in.

I have a few questions also. Such as:

What are some good books to get a hold of?

This is a wierd one. When I draw, the pencil always get dull so quickly so I end up with really fat and furry lines. What do you guys to do to prevent this?
    I am intersted in 3D modeling and animation, that is why I want to get a solid foundation in drawing/painting. I am in grade 11, so I need to start looking to the future. I am thinking I would like to go to sheridan, but I am not sure exactly how to go about it. I saw another thread about something similar. If I take art fundies in my first year (years?) then I don't need a portfolio to get in? Then I can build one and move on to more advanced stuff, or the 3D thing? Anyway info would help, thanks.

And, as always, please comment and give me some tips.

Sanby

Thanks
    Grizz: Thanks for the tip. I do tend to keep a sharpener with me when I sketch. I have also fond a snadpaper pad that I keep with me as well.

Anyway, I suck at updating. I haven't posted any stuff for way to long. I am going to try and get in the habit again of doing it daily. Here goes.

These are gestures out of a comic book, which someone suggested to do. It really is wicked. Within ten minutes I could see an improvement. I started using more flowing, long strokes. My confidence increased, and it really helpd me to just let things flow, rather then to be really exact and have crappy line quality.

Out of an ad I found. It's not done, meh

So I went ot a Barenaked ladies concert last tuesday, the 21st. We went out to a restaurant first and their I sketched my brother, he was sitting beside me.

After that, we went to the concert hall, and their was this guy standing outside. So, when we got to our seats, I tried to sketch him from memory.

Lastly, here is something inspired by Rowan, cause I love his sketchbook stuff.

Sanby

Thanks

Keep it up !!!

Hey Sanby,

Don't worry about replying late - I know what you mean - my school and work are also keeping me busy.

About your question - I'm - lets say- intermediate in the anatomy study so I can't really give you one good way of learning it. I can only tell you my approach.

Some time ago when I started learning anatomy I just learned the basics - about general muscle shapes etc. I tried applying it to my drawings and it kinda worked fine for me for some time. But later I noticed that I do most of the anatomy intuitive - without really knowing what is happening there. I thought about it and decided that it no longer satisfies me. So I'm learning anatomy from the begining. First: I decided to take small steps - I study one region of human body at a time to keep myself focused. I started with arms. Don't really know why, I know that I maybe should begin with the head or something else, but arms came first. I gathered as much materials about arms - books (Loomis, some polish books, some spanish e-books I found on the internet), photos and anatomy drawings for medical students (all found on the internet) photos of athlets and fitness models. Anything I could find on the internet and I considered worthy went right into a special folder on my hard drive. This way I have now a huge library of anatomy refs. I started drawing - first the bones. Arms are pretty easy - only three bones to remember so i also incorporated othre surrounding bones like scapula and clavicle - because they're linked. Than I started adding some muscles etc. And so on

You're a begginer so try to learn more about proportions of the human body first - than go to details.

What is more important for artist is not to know all the names and details but to know how it works. I dont need to know the names of the muscles that turn the forearm but I have to know how they look like, where they are and how will they behave etc. If you want to draw good human/animal figures from your head than you'll definitely need to know this.

About remembering - don't worry that it's not soaking in immediately - because it just won't - you need a lot of practice to learn anatomy. You have to draw it at least couple of times to remember. Remember to think when you're drawing not just draw to make it look like in the picture but remember and try to understand.

Recent stuff - it's getting better - I can still see progress - the linework is improving a lot although you still need to work on shading. I don't know - maybe it your scanner's fault that these are very light. If that's the case - try increasing contrast after scanning. If not - don't be afraid to use darker values. I'm assuming you're using HB or 2B - you can really get more darks out of them

That's all from me - sorry to write that much - but you asked it
    Sketchbook
    Sketch(up)book
    Blog
    Twitter
    TEAM CHOW - Nasty Sausages
    CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
    The Ocean Collective

Thanks
    Thanks for that hefty reply man, it's very informative.

I have decided to focus on the head as a starting point, and just work on that area. I decided this, just because it's at the top and that way I can work my way down, but at first, I was attracted to the muscles of the arms. Just the way arms look in different views, and how the muscles bulge and stuff when flexed.

Yeah, I am using HB mostly, but it is kinda coming out really light. I think that it is acctually really light in my sketchbook, not really the scanners fault. I am going to work with the 2B a bit more I think, and I'll push the values a lot more. I was acctually trying to mimic your rendering style, along with a few other people who have similar styles. I like the softer look to it. But, I think I may have missinterpreted this softness as being lighter in value.

And, don't worry about the long reply, it's awesome, because you gave me so much information.

thanks again.

Sanby

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast