Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks

acrazymind trying to git gud

Hi everybody,

so guess I'm finally getting around to setting up my own sketchbook here. Just like many others I've been lurking the site for quite a bit and figured it would be great to join the community actively and get some feedback and critique on my own work. Also it's probably a good challenge to try to keep this updated and thus drawing.

I'm practicing more and more these days, mostly anatomy and figure drawing. My biggest problem at the moment are portraits, especially making them look like the actual model. I would like to get into digital painting eventually, however I don't feel very confident about it at the moment.

Right now I'm studying Bammes, Proko and Ctrl+Paint Unplugged, I hang out a lot on /ic/ and really want to make art a full-time occupation.

Thanks for having a look!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by acrazymind; October 8th, 2017 at 10:22 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Cool studies, I like your figure drawings, I am also just learning myself so all I can say is keep practicing

Thanks
    Thanks, I sure will.
    Last edited by acrazymind; July 15th, 2015 at 06:01 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to acrazymind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    great work !! Keep it up !!

Thanks
    i really admire your line quality

Thanks
    Thank you, it's great to feel supported.
    Here's a new batch.

Thanks
    Starting to pick up more of a routine, so here are some life drawings from the last few days.

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum, crazymind!

I'm impressed by the work you've posted. As others have mentioned, your line quality is very good, with lots of energy and flow. So is your sense of structure and the shading in your figure drawings. They're graceful, but at the same time I can feel the solidity of the forms you're representing. Good work!

I have just a few criticisms. First of all, keep a careful eye on your proportions, especially with the limbs (the lower arms got a tad long in a couple places - for instance, the very first drawing in post #1). Second, your heads need practice, as I saw several drawings where one feature or other was misaligned. Of course, you *are* practicing heads...so just keep doing that, yeah? Third, I noticed you tend to draw upright figures with locked knees. Try to draw their legs with a bit of give to them. If they actually locked their knees like that, they'd faint before you could finish drawing them!

Anyway, you're off to a fantastic start. Keep posting ^^

Thanks
    Thanks a lot emalin, you're in-depth feedback is really helping me.
    I admit I've been pretty lazy when it comes to measuring during life drawing, I guess it's catching up now and I'll try to keep it in mind.
    As you said, heads/faces are an issue, and I am trying to improve in that area in particular. You said some features are misaligned, do you figure using more/clearer guidelines would help with that?

I just tried standing with locked knees for a while just to see, and it was not very comfortable, nor did I last too long. ^^ So yes, you're right on that one too and I'll keep an eye out for it.

I'll do some more portraits today and upload them as soon as they are done.

Thanks
    Here they are, a little rushed I'm afraid. I'll invest more time over the next days.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by acrazymind View Post
    As you said, heads/faces are an issue, and I am trying to improve in that area in particular. You said some features are misaligned, do you figure using more/clearer guidelines would help with that?
    Yes, very much so. I learned some really in-depth guidelines by watching lectures from the Gnomon Workshop. That costs a chunk of money though, so you might prefer to look elsewhere. Maybe review some Proko videos and supplement them with Sycra?

The portraits you did today look good despite being rushed. The first one looks a *little* odd, but that's because smiles are hard to draw, as I'm sure you know. Just needs practice

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emalin View Post
    Yes, very much so. I learned some really in-depth guidelines by watching lectures from the Gnomon Workshop. That costs a chunk of money though, so you might prefer to look elsewhere. Maybe review some Proko videos and supplement them with Sycra?

The portraits you did today look good despite being rushed. The first one looks a *little* odd, but that's because smiles are hard to draw, as I'm sure you know. Just needs practice
    Actually I didn't, I'll have a look for more refs with smiles to practice.
    I'm working my way through the Proko Portrait series, I guess the rest is just grinding for the most part from here on out.
    Also, some more life drawings and another portrait.

Thanks
    Today I did some of the early exercises on digital painting by Ctrl+Paint, just to get into it a little. I'm enjoying it so far, so I'll try to keep it up alongside all the other stuff I’m working on - portraits in particular.

Thanks
    A couple of new life drawings from today, I'll do some portraits tomorrow.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to acrazymind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Had a little trouble with the charcoal one, not really sure how to handle the medium without just making a mess.
    I somehow feel like I'm spamming my sketchbook thread with too much of the same stuff - life drawings all over the place. Might be a good idea to do something different as well some time.

Thanks
    So I just finished my first round of classes at CGMA - Dynamic Sketching 1 with Peter Han and Intro to Perspective with Derek Kosol. It's been pretty amazing, and I did not expect to learn as much as I did. Here's my work from the two courses, pretty sure you can guess which is from which.

Thanks
    And the rest.

Thanks
    Well, time again to spend ages uploading another batch of images - I really should get into the habit of uploading regularly, then it wouldn't take forever each time I'm here. ^^
    I'm currently doing CGMA's Dynamic Sketching 2 with Peter Han and Analytical Figure Drawing with Ron Lemen.

Thanks
    Really liking your stuff man, keep it up!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Invertedvantage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks, will do.

Thanks
    Tanks and other military vehicles this week, planes up next. Ugh, that's going to be tricky..

Thanks
    Studying muscles, legs in particular. Lower legs are crazy complicated, my brain is full of muscles and tendons now..

Thanks
    Planes this week, drawn at a local airfield museum. The size was pretty intimidating at first, it's really tricky to get the proportions right at that scale. And of course the wings - getting the perspective right is pretty tricky.

Thanks
    One more, finished this one like five minutes before the deadline cut-off. ^^

Thanks
    I really like ur gestures. keep it up

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Abdullah moatasem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    really nice stuff man. im doing dynamic sketching 1 too, but imo my organic shapes look wrong and far away from what your forms look like. Would be awesome if you can take a look at my sketchbook and tell me what i should improve or focus on.
    anyway coming back regularly to your sketchbook

32. The Following User Says Thank You to lazy af For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah moatasem View Post
    I really like ur gestures. keep it up
    Thank you, will hopefully do more of these soon, too.

Quote Originally Posted by lazy af View Post
    really nice stuff man. im doing dynamic sketching 1 too, but imo my organic shapes look wrong and far away from what your forms look like. Would be awesome if you can take a look at my sketchbook and tell me what i should improve or focus on.
    anyway coming back regularly to your sketchbook
    Glad you like it, sure I'll check them out and see if I can give you any tips. Keep in mind I'm only a student myself and there are much more advanced artists around here, but I'll do my best.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 925 Posts
    Great sketchbook acrazymind. You already have a good understanding of form. When dealing things that are alive and move, you have to take into consideration the principle of design called rhythm in order to recreate that sense of life and movement on paper. I made some notes over one of your studies. I hope it's helpful. Keep it up!
    Name:  244_feedback.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  169.1 KB

35. The Following User Says Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey fantasyartist, thanks a ton for that, I really appreciate any constructive feedback you guys can give me.
    I'm aware of the concept of rhythm, and I try to apply it as much as possible with my figure drawing (Ron Lemen helped me a lot with that). But I see now that I need to think further than that and apply it to a wider range of subjects, so thanks for that.

I was taught to construct anything, starting out with simple objects and then building on top of these or carving into/cutting away from them. I guess that's why I started that fox with a basic organic/egg shape and not the rhythm lines. I'll make sure to spend a minute on the flow lines before moving on to that step next time to avoid that stiffness.

Also, some more muscle studies from yesterday.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 925 Posts
    You´re welcome man . Yes construction is very important. When dealing with things that are alive and move however, capturing the gesture is the first and most important step and then building on top of that.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast