Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: don't look!

Thanks

don't look!

(Jokes, please look xD)

Hey, I'm 21 years old, first year animation student. I got back into drawing again very recently, like late last year, after a long hiatus. It's seriously inspiring to see people trying their hardest to reach their potential here. Great artists before and now had the guts and dedication to show us what's possible – they weren't afraid of going as far as they could – so by theirs and by your example, I'm not going to die without seeing how far I can go too. The pencil will set me freeeeeeee!!

Also I welcome all feedback and comments.

Thanks for dropping by!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by christinted; August 22nd, 2015 at 08:22 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Birdwatcher design

For the animation program I'm doing, they asked us to choose someone's character, and re-design it. I chose an eccentric birdwatcher. I was trying to avoid the common portrayal of the eccentric as the approachable and endearing character (think of Professor Bomba and his elaborate head gear from Epic, the Trelawney from Harry Potter with her huge glasses). I tried to go for something counter-intuitive, so someone very serious, stoic and strong but almost unapproachable at first sight, but just as over the top and passionate about his hobby and intelligent. Thought it would be funny taking advantage of his seriousness.
    Name:  initial concept reduced.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  271.0 KB

I also came up with other designs, nothing ground-breaking, just for gesture practice.
    Name:  otherbirdwatchersfixed.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  180.0 KB

We also had to do a kind of character turnaround sheet for our final character where we try and choose poses that best show personality.
    Name:  turnaroundoriginalfixed.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  192.3 KB
    Last edited by christinted; March 22nd, 2015 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks

The study of gesture will never end!!

I seem to have a real trouble drawing children with their weird proportions, so I wanted more practice. Need to practice drawing exaggerated expression as well. It's really hard for me right now to not make people look creepy when they have anything other than a vacant or vague expression on their face.
    Name:  liddleppl.jpg
Views: 1811
Size:  238.0 KB

Quickposes said to always keep a record of your best poses to keep you motivated to keep up the practice. So here's what I think are my best! Done over several months, all around or under 2 minutes.
    Name:  Bestposes2.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  204.5 KB
    Name:  Best poses1.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  201.9 KB
    Name:  Bestp7.jpg
Views: 1468
Size:  373.4 KB

I think it's a pretty big improvement on how I used to draw bodies 2013, which was way too anatomical and less expressive.
    Name:  oldfigures.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  493.1 KB

Ron Husband says artists should always carry a sketchbook everywhere they go, and get in the habit of drawing as a way of note-taking, like actually capture real people in movement. These were my first attempts. SO HARD.
    Name:  Peoplesketches2.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  180.6 KB
    Name:  Peoplesketches1.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  170.7 KB

Few months later, I got into the habit of carrying a sketchbook everywhere I go and recording interesting things. Some of these were done from memory, because I only got a few moments glance - didn't wanna get caught staring. Cos I have been caught several times. SO AWKWARD
    Attachment 2102251
    Name:  IMG_2038.JPG
Views: 1234
Size:  638.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_2035.JPG
Views: 1231
Size:  591.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_2040.JPG
Views: 1226
Size:  632.3 KB

(Forgot to upload these) Also tried quick sketching when watching TV, even the ads becomes productive xD
    Name:  IMG_2042.JPG
Views: 1224
Size:  677.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_2039.JPG
Views: 1228
Size:  651.5 KB
    Last edited by christinted; March 31st, 2015 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks

People are amazing!

So you know how some artists recommend drawing 100 of something to get really good at it? I found a great clip where they got filmed close-ups of people from ages 1 to 100 off the streets of Amsterdam saying their age. There's a variety of interesting faces AND it was a good opportunity to study how people age. I originally intended on drawing all 100 of them, but, you know, that's kind of a lot lol. So I only did some and stuck them in my sketchbook and left spaces for when I went back to complete the whole video (did, like, 4 more). Some of the other faces were from when I was watching an online debate, just sketched the speakers and commenters as they were talking which was pretty hard.

These drawings were pretty small and fast. Tried to keep these under 5 minutes so I would force myself to learn how to quickly gauge proportion and spacing and all the other details that makes a face unique. (Harry Hammernik's book on caricatures helped A LOT here.) When I go out into the streets myself, hopefully if I see a cool face for few moments, I can somewhat keep an accurate-ish record of it.

Name:  Minifaces11.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  290.5 KB
    Name:  Minifaces21.jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  337.2 KB
    Name:  Minifaces31.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  373.5 KB

Some full blown portraits. These were some of the first portraits I've done. I was referencing from photos so I tended to overwork it and try to copy every single value I see instead of limiting myself to a few. In some of these, I didn't make sure I got the overall structure and proportion of the face right before moving on, but I kept on going anyway which I shouldn't do. And won't. Feel like I like the lines only ones more than the tonal ones.

Name:  ArizonaCorentinfixed.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  781.4 KB
    Arizona Muse, Corentin Renault
    Name:  VanwyngardenMusmann2.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  717.6 KB
    Andrew Vanwyngarden, Elizabeth Musmanno (example of a handsome woman, she's freaking gorgeous)
    Name:  CatherineMcNeil2.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  460.2 KB
    Catherine McNeil
    Name:  Slaughter2.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  686.6 KB
    Right: Karin Slaughter (another handsome woman)

Thanks
    great work, very inspiring

Thanks

First foray into digital fitness!

Thank ye Sandy! Hope to see some of your work on here soon too!

After seeing all the great digital stuff by the artists on here, decided to finally try my own hand! YEAHAHA
    Used only limited brushes and palette.
    Tried my best here, feedback greatly appreciated!

Name:  purplelight700.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  149.1 KB

Still scared of colour though
    Last edited by christinted; March 30th, 2015 at 12:55 AM.

Thanks
    Really nice SB, birdwatching dude looks neat, great gestures! It seems like your cartoony drawings are far better than realistic one, just keep on practicing Last portrait got proportions a bit messed up, also you're smudging to much when digital painting - just pick hard round brush, turn oppacity toggle on (so it'll respond to the pressure you put when painting) and have fun. I'm also still scared of colour when doing studies so totally understand what you mean.
    keep on posting!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Betty86 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Betty, Yeah! Lol I realised halfway the eyes are probably too big and the cheekbones unaligned. And it does look a little too smudgy too (the mark of a n00b xD). Friend just told me I need to use more planes in the painting. So gotta study that up and re-paint at a later date! Thanks for taking the time out to give feedback Betty!

One thing though, can you clarify what you mean by better? Do you mean the realistic faces feel a bit wooden compared with the cartoony ones? Or the proportions are off? Just need a little bit of a pointer on where I can improve! I will, of course, keep at it

Thanks

So many straight lines!

So Loomis says perspective's THE most important thing to study before anything else. I used to look at the diagrams in his successful drawing book and be like O______O NOPE, NOT TODAY LOOMIS SORRY. So I studied Norling's book first. I'm sorta not afraid anymore. Sometimes I even enjoy it.

I still have way too many problems. Most of them are technical (still need to construct the guiding lines to the VPs, they can get confusing, gauging space). But one big problem is that I don't like spending too long on a sketch, I don't have the patience for detail.... Would be great if anyone was where I am now and how they dealt with it!

STUDIES
    Name:  cube play.JPG
Views: 1191
Size:  222.9 KBName:  IMG_2154.JPG
Views: 1185
Size:  185.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_2155.JPG
Views: 1189
Size:  166.3 KBName:  Sharpeners500.jpg
Size:  157.6 KB
    Name:  objects500.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  242.3 KBName:  study.jpg
Size:  189.9 KB
    (realised my sharpener looks like one of those speedy low lying cars, which is kinda cool...)

ON LOCATION (old to recent)
    Name:  IMG_2217.JPG
Views: 1208
Size:  620.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_2214.JPG
Views: 1183
Size:  196.4 KBName:  loc5500.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  204.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_2242.JPG
Views: 1212
Size:  566.7 KB
    Name:  loc1500.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  197.3 KBName:  loc2500.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  143.7 KB
    Name:  loc3.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  441.0 KB
    Name:  loc4.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  420.3 KB
    Name:  object2.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  446.8 KB
    Name:  life.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  448.9 KB
    Last edited by christinted; March 30th, 2015 at 01:42 AM.

Thanks
    Proportion-wise your cartoony faces are better. It's gonna sound stupid, but they do feel 'real'
    And for realistic ones - Loomis and Bridgman are good to study Keep on drawing!

Thanks

WARNING - nekkid people ahead

Betty, Nah that doesn't sound stupid at all! I'm an aspiring animator, it's my business to learn how to give fictional characters life, so I'm really happy that they do feel real to you! Realistic faces I'm not so desperate to fix, but yeah, gotta hit them books again. Thanks

Think figure drawing's probably one of the best classes ever. Have a lot of trouble keeping attention for the longer poses and the action poses, and they tend to become really stiff and anatomical.

Progressive poses, probably 2 minutes each
    Name:  progressive2.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  223.2 KB
    Name:  progressive1.JPG
Views: 1161
Size:  289.3 KB

15-30 second gestures
    Name:  1530sgest.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  252.1 KB
    (Really like doing these faster poses, gets the adrenalin rushing. But because they're so fast, I often incorrectly identify line of action and rhythm)

Action poses
    Name:  actionposes.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  354.5 KB
    (So stiff, I can probably snap the drawings in half T__T)

Balance
    Name:  balance.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  509.5 KB

LEFT: longest pose, 5-10 minutes I think.
    RIGHT: Drawing model in between poses
    Name:  longpose500.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  228.3 KB Name:  betweenposes500.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  284.2 KB
    Actually think the right ones were much more fun to do than her actual posing. More natural. She was really unself-conscious, great for me! Don't have to be so shady, and can just openly stare haha xD

Some of what I thought were my best
    Name:  actionpose500.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  237.7 KBName:  Ben500.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  185.1 KB

Breaking old drawing habits
    Name:  1minnolift500.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  204.9 KBName:  scribblygestures500.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  191.1 KB
    (LEFT: no lifting the pencil
    RIGHT: she always demands MOAR SCRIBBLY poses)

Thanks

Life quick sketching drawing

Drew these last week. I usually try to be discreet when drawing people in public, but our animation program forced us to carry these huge ass A3 pads. I had a good time being conspicuous though cos I was huddled up with other creepy animators! Strength in numbers! They wanted about 10 pages minimum for the day?!?! but I could only get to 9.

I don't like how the drawings are really messy and scattered on the page. There's was just so much to see, I was overwhelmed and tried to capture almost everything. Think maybe next time, I need to be more focussed when I go out to draw... (And kids are the best to draw because they're so unselfconscious and so easily amused, but because they're so quick and fidgety, they're also the hardest. T__T)
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by christinted; March 31st, 2015 at 07:36 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to christinted For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So glad I decided to stop by your sketchbook, aha. Great work!
    I especially love your life drawings and gestures, you can really feel the form and movement.

Thanks

Animaaaaalllsss

Thanks Shirli, for stopping by and for the comment! I'm glad the movement and form came through - cos I was in a drawing frenzy and just didn't think about anything ; ^ ;

We visited the zoo the other day. This was the first time I actually tried sketching animals. I studied up on the anatomy a little before, but it wasn't enough, so I just drew what I could. Animals are awesome - if you watch them long enough, they might do some of the most surprising things. But like kids, this makes them that much harder to draw. Definitely going to try again!

Name:  Lemur2.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  258.4 KBName:  Lemur3.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  259.0 KB
    Name:  Sunbear.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  261.2 KBName:  Sunbear2.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  275.4 KB
    Name:  Condor.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  288.6 KBName:  Condorturkey.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  253.2 KB
    Name:  Redpanda.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  278.9 KBName:  RedpandaLion.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  277.7 KB
    Name:  Pelican.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  257.7 KBName:  Spoonbillducks.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  276.9 KB
    Name:  Seals.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  279.4 KBName:  Seals2.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  254.6 KB
    Name:  MountainGoat2.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  270.1 KBName:  TapirMeerkat.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  281.7 KB

Thanks
    It´s a joy to see all your hard work christinted. Your drawings are getting progressively better. Especially in the animal sketches you did a good job capturing the essence of their poses. I´ll keep watching .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.