Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Wow, this is some really great stuff... Love this kind of work, and I just cant seem to pull it off, no matter how hard I try! Alwell, ill stick to the figures for now! But you are doin great! Keep it up!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nice concepts man. Would you say you have any influences for the mech stuff? I've been trying to improve my mech drawing for some time. I think I've been learning a lot just by looking at spinefinger's stuff (and shirow of course). Hmm as for advice for alien texture, look at some super closeups of weird bugs for ref. They have excellent textures indeed. I feel your pain with the ID class. I'm an illustrator myself taking my first ID class this semester. Keep up the sketchbook!

Thanks
    wow, cool stuff man. Tech drawings like that require some real patience, I haven't done one in so long...

that alien that groover pointed out is great and the un-textured alien is a good un' too. If you want textures try screwing around with filling in the thing with graphite and erasing in funky patterns, keeping in mind to concentrate light, a good ol' smudge stick can work well too. The hand looks a little funky too, like it needs some more bone structure... other than that it's solid design, like a gentle giant type guy that gets furious if you fuck with his friends.

I've seen your work elsewere and am a Fan! glad to have you join the DSB partay.

I'd write more but I gotta go cook up some more of that sweet black tar...

-steak

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks

The Bone Doctor Diagnosis.

Welcome to the asylum ~ You got some uptown drawing skills here Mac
    Your take on anatomy is very interesting to me (especially your lower legs)
    You have obviously spent some time developing your own figure structure.
    Also like the way you shade (shade) your forms ~ the own side plane down plane thing is alive and well here.

Pax, Pox, Pix, Pos ~ Do not breath to much of the air in this forum!

Thanks
    fuck. ..another sketchbook to keep up with. you have some great stuff going on so far.. ..i ll give you some crits when ive seen more work.. .got any color stuff?

Thanks
    Yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougbot

Dougbot, "Are you calling me fat? Really? How come?"
    xiataptara.com
    How to draw and paint *WARNING: You have been warned!*

Thanks
    Good lord, 4 illustrious CA.org artists commenting in a row.. the pressure be on.

Let's see if I can pull this reply off.. I'm sure I'll get much more lax about this over time.

JadeDragon, yeah I'm a lucky son-of-a-bitch.. I actually had to track Scott down at ComiCon to get him to sign my "add a class" form. That's just how annoying I am! Glad you like what you see.

Burning Eyes, thank you sir!

Jonny, like you I am a disciple of Shirow, he and Otomo are really core components to my mechanical design. As far as I'm concerned the Japanese are light-years ahead in terms of what I like.. that's just the fan boy in me talking though. The biggest thing for me about the manga/anime approach to ID and what-not is a very uniform and cohesive design mentality. It can sometimes become monotonous, but the novelty hasn?t warn off for me yet. Thanks for your advice on the Alien!

Steak-tron, thanks for the keen advice, I concur on the whole, lack of bone structure thing, I think I have to sit down, thumb through some animal books, and establish a bit of real world reference for this thing maybe.. get it a bit more firmly planted in reality, maybe I can bring out more structure that way. Glad you dig the work! I am likewise a fan of yours and quite the regular in viewing your sketchbook. Don't collapse any veins

mentler, yeah my anatomy is interesting.. interesting in the kind of way that needs a shit load more practice as of late! Hehe.. I've become ridiculously rusty. Glad you approve though, do hand me a straightjacket!

metalwinds, I apologize profusely for adding to the sketchbook perusing task! I will make it a point to disappoint you to a level that you will no longer have to frequent here I'm quite glad you enjoy my work, you yourself are quite accomplished and I look forward to any crits you have to offer... and do I have color work? Yes. Am I confident in showing it now? Heck no!

xia, you're stuff is pretty tasty too, pal

Thanks for the warm reception guys, I really appreciate it.. and I appreciate the future throttling I expect to get when I post some real crap! Christ.. just wait till the color stuff comes.. *shudder* But yeah, thanks all around, I'll post a couple images when I get a moment after finishing up some more work.

Last edited by Helium Macaroni; October 5th, 2004 at 05:21 AM.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    I love the fact that you have 189 posts and you're only now posting your work. HOSER!! It's about friggin time! Jeez... holding out on these poor kids, how could you?

It's all looking killer man! Great great work as always

-Daniel
    "It's hard work..."
    -Little Dubb Tex

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    cool stuff here mike. recognize a few and you got some other stuff too. wow gee thanks steve for pointing out the obvious...

like i said before i think your mecha designs are badass. i like the one groover pointed out the most. i like some of the other more refined mecha/technical stuff.

this is the anal side of me talking, but i'd like to see you push line quality and refinement a bit more. i think the overall design and believability is there.. but if there were perhaps a little more polish to the line an detail. for example maybe not a uniform thickness for the outline of your mechdude or your characters. (i know uniform outline around characters is sorta of an ent-design staple but...)

post more stuff
    steve

Thanks
    great work man... some really fine things in here. Waiting for more!

cheers.t

Thanks
    Whoa now, and update.. man am I bad at this.

T.mo, Thank you sir. As you requested.. here's an update!

Danny boy, hee hee.. know where I got all of those posts? The political threads.. muaha. Thanks man, I appreciate the complement

Steve (aka "lover") Dude, do I ever agree with that line quality statement... no really, do I? Yes, yes I do. That is the lame part about being an illustrator in an ID class, they have refinement DOWN! They do those little exercises ala Feng with the whole drawing straight lines by hand, connecting points with fluid lines, and drawing nice looking ellipses in one stroke. I'm working on it I assure you. All my crap I feel has some design quality to it as you said, but I completely agree, I need refinement and a clean execution. Next time I see you, I'll hug you for the helpful crit.

A rather shabby tank design, quick but utilizing some various perspectives on a single object.. hard as hell if you're trying to be accurate.

Macaroni and cheese.. Now updated every 3 years.

This was a little sketch for a daily assignment based on a random word from the dictionary. The word was "pip-squeak" I know that gun looks very inauthentic, I had no reference handy.. and I forgot my M-16 that day

And.. some girls from mah head.

Last edited by Helium Macaroni; November 30th, 2004 at 12:52 PM.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    yo yer womens need a little more +sexiness. now you don't gotta go all feng-esque 6-inch heel ho-style but maybe little smaller jawlines, larger eyes with defined eyelashes.. that sorta thing.

this IS conceptart we're talking about

Thanks
    The kid with the M-16 is very cool man

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3