Sketchbook: Keep your dream alive...feed it daily! - Page 14
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Keep your dream alive...feed it daily!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're onto something with the last loose sketches you posted.
    With renderings, my advice is to try thinking about heads and other objects as geometric shapes. A simple trick to it is simplify them. It isn't a head at all, it's a sphere! How do you paint a sphere? Same principle, the general shape of the head obeys the same rules as a sphere would. You have your areas that face the light source and are brightest (top of head, tip of nose, points of ears), form shadows that show from and are soft and transitional (cheeks, forehead), and cast shadow that block light from an area altogether (brow shadows, nose shadow), which in conjunction describe the forms. We as humans develop an innate understanding of visual information presented to us, so all those things read as specific elements so you can't just use those things interchangeably, because it won't look right. Hope this helps.

Last edited by dusty imp; August 2nd, 2009 at 04:42 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quickie for now, but you should check out "XView"...much easier for editing your scans, and it's free.

hows the fam doing? glad you're drawing and posting again.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude your drawing again! Awesome! I like how you draw everything and everyone you see, this is espescially tasty: http://www.tetsuosdream.com/daily/s788.jpg

You still need to work on your form, though. Seeing those portraits, your heads still lack perspective and structure somewhat. Althought that selfportrait really strikes some likeness http://www.tetsuosdream.com/daily/s786.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oleg yeah i get what you are saying...i think I will work on it as well as the blind contours. I have been trying to flow a little bit more with the sketching so i dont get bogged down with detail crap. Kind of like a stream of consciousness way of drawing. It works nicely especially with imagined stuff. However, my consistency in that area is hardly anything to be proud of. Any specific exercises you can give me to help me with form?

Fausty: yep and yep. Its gonna be a long time for me to understand all these things...im old

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome to see an update. i love the baby bottle sketch, lol!

you might find this interesting-

http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
    oleg yeah i get what you are saying...i think I will work on it as well as the blind contours. I have been trying to flow a little bit more with the sketching so i dont get bogged down with detail crap. Kind of like a stream of consciousness way of drawing. It works nicely especially with imagined stuff. However, my consistency in that area is hardly anything to be proud of. Any specific exercises you can give me to help me with form?
    I'm struggling with this stuff myself, but best advice I can give in that regard is to simplify. What makes it look like a head, a specific head? What do you need to make it look recognizable? Keep that and toss out the rest. Squint, blur the image, look for main shapes and volumes. Restrict yourself to painting with a bigger brush and zoomed out, see how close you can get to the likeness without working on any detail. Another thing I picked up that sounds like a solid idea is to paint basic geometric shapes from life - spheres, cubes, cones, cylinders. Feels hypocritical to give this advice since I myself haven't got around to making them yet, but the principal behind that theory is sound, when you know how to paint them you can paint almost anything since nay object can be broken down into those shapes. On that note I think I'll go out and make them tomorrow after all...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nah man thats great advice. We are all here to help each other no matter if we are having trouble with the same things or not. We can all recognize what to do but doing it is the hard part.

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok new upload from the past week or two.

-TeT-

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some nice lines, and accurate studies. I wish I could do that haha, keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well I HAVE been hiding...sorry to those of you who used to follow and I dropped off the face of the earth...I guess thats my way. Anyways posting some newish stuff from 2010 up to 2011 painting for a friend...

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and one last one...

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woohoo! Welcome back, buddy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for popping by buddy ^^ Going to scan some shitty sketches tonight to keep this going. Also might be able to upload tons of images from my treks at this awesome park down here.

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

-TeT-

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man its always frustrating getting back into something. True pain in the ass...but once you step into the liquid you see how your body fades away. Ego is the bane of an artist. This I hope to eliminate so I dont get caught up in the bullshit of whats a good/bad painting in my eyes. Its all good, all work. First speed paint in a while. Getting used to Artweaver is a bitch. Some day maybe I will buy photoshop...but unless money is raining down from the clouds...fuck that! Going to try to make this into a 2-3 hour study at least.

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    even robots like to play video games too...

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    speedpaint redux take 1....slowing down a little bit and breaking it up into less blocks of color before i proceed further. And of course self portrait ala 30 mins.

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    posting some stuff that I have been working on for the past 3 weeks or so. Contest for a website.

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little sketch I did for the website again...nothing major but had fun with it.

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know why but lately I am really digging drawing plant life like trees, flowers, and such. Also, making a stride towards posting excellence more than garbage. Every artist posts makes garbage all the time. And its that garbage that makes your best stuff better! But I don't want to waste too much precious space with garbage seeing as I make a lot of it hehe.

Anyways, hope you all are ripping shit up! Here is some new sketches...and although not that many I feel that these are some good ones...oh and one bad one to even it out...you decide

And I also updated my website so please take some time to check it out purbles, faust and whoever wants to

GANBATTE!!!

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, looking good! Those tree-scetches show some nice design-sense. That's the great thing about drawing plants, you can just focus on the how and not the what. There is no linear perspective involved, the anatomy is neglectible (Unless you're strving for scientific accuracy) and there is so much information (leafs, branches etc) that you can boil it down to pretty much what and how you select to represent. It means you cn exercise your raw talent

On the other side, when you're introducing something that has mass and form in a sense that is recognisble, like a rock, or a human (Oh, dreadful), you have to rely on much more technicalities in order to represent them believably. One of those is the awareness of planes or faces of the object. Look at this: http://www.colby.edu/art/AR273/week_11/mustardseed.jpg Through the contour and the inner line-information, a somewhat 3-dimensional impression is achieved. Of course, with humans you would need much more knowledge of anatomie and shit, or you simplify the outline and the form-language to a degree that makes it obsolete to represent those muscles. In your case its like you try to picture the muscles but don't quite know which where to put. Hard to explain, I think learning anatomy is important but for some reason I would find it much more interesting to find a language that makes it work to work with less technique. Dunno, but I think practicing with those trees and flowers can help you with that.

Regarding your site, it looks well done and more professionl than your older site. I kind of liked the older one more, though, it looked more personal and unique. Now your site barely looks different than those from any other web-designer But it all depends on what you're going for I guess, it is definately very serious and decent looking and I like the flowers on the front page

Anyways, please keep working that scetchbook, man! Drawing is fun, irhgt?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah the site stuff is from wordpress so its pretty generic as far as layout...which is totally why it looks like same same. I am slowly working out the bugs to create a more distinct feel for it....kinda like a place where you purb and i can hang out and talk about stuff in life.

And yes drawing is fun still I just decided my approach needs to slow down a bit while observing. I am always trying to rush the form, which makes things blow up in my face later :o So in a sense hangin out with nature really does help with that I take my time and plus plants hold still better ha ha !

One day you and I HAVE to meet fausty...you are a kick ass gentlemen

-TeT-

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah one day haha, gotta come to europe first though

Place to talk about stuff in life? Sounds good, must first get some life than I can spill it all out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been meaning to post this one sketch since I think it came out nice-ish.

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I would like to put a giant LINE BREAK here for two reasons.

#1 My thought process about art is a bit different now.
    #2 I have a bunch of work that I have been doing for a non for profit game called Children of the Void (inspired by Might & Magic, Morrowind, Skyrim, etc etc)

So in the following posts I will do my best to update my progress or degress heh on what I do COTV wise...and anything on the side. Really hoping to land some sort of concept art job this year, but I still think I have a long way to go to land that job.

-TeT-

Last edited by Tetsuo; January 29th, 2013 at 01:54 AM.

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let the flood gates open for new artwork! Maybe I will see some of my old buddies here too

Name:  2012-1.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  209.0 KBName:  2012-2.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  237.3 KBName:  2012-3.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  459.4 KBName:  beachsketch-SMALL.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  35.0 KBName:  canyon-environ-SMALL.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  64.5 KBName:  canyon-wip-SMALL.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  37.5 KBName:  cyberfrogSMALL.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  52.2 KBName:  house-style sheet-middle classB-SMALL.jpg
Size:  64.5 KBName:  house-style sheet-middle class-SMALL.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  71.8 KBName:  house-style sheet-slums-SMALL.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  183.2 KBName:  ironfist-smallWIP.jpg
Size:  181.7 KBName:  MMXspeedpaint-SMALL.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  228.8 KBName:  mountains-WIP-SMALL.jpg
Size:  27.0 KBName:  portrait-study-SMALL.jpg
Size:  34.3 KBName:  Rhanwall-big-SU-SMALL.jpg
Size:  41.5 KBName:  Rhanwalltiny-SU-SMALL.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  33.4 KBName:  s833.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  54.7 KBName:  self-port-SMALL.jpg
Size:  143.9 KBName:  ship-SJ-SMALL.jpg
Size:  159.0 KB

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are in no particular order btw...

Name:  sil-sheet-1-SMALL.jpg
Size:  92.9 KBName:  sil-sheet-2-SMALL.jpg
Size:  98.0 KBName:  sil-sheet-3-SMALL.jpg
Size:  47.2 KBName:  sil-sheet-4-SMALL.jpg
Size:  36.5 KBName:  sil-sheet-5-SMALL.jpg
Size:  49.8 KBName:  sil-sheet-6-SMALL.jpg
Size:  32.4 KBName:  sil-sheet-7-SMALL.jpg
Size:  44.9 KBName:  sil-sheet-8-SMALL.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  45.0 KBName:  sil-sheet-9-SMALL.jpg
Size:  48.9 KBName:  sil-sheet-10-SMALL.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  36.4 KBName:  slum-concept-thumbs-SMALL.jpg
Size:  167.4 KBName:  town-hall-SMALL.jpg
Size:  328.3 KB

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oops forgot these two..Name:  treasure chest thumbs-SMALL.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  64.3 KBName:  treasure chest-SU-SMALL.jpg
Size:  27.0 KB

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so in going back to the scene posted above (which is the latest iteration of stuff I am working on), I decided to dig a bit deeper into the values. I was going to do this anyways but hey figured I would post things as they are coming along.

Name:  ironfist-ref7SMALL.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  31.9 KB

-TeT-

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3