View Poll Results: Pick your favourite BUG!

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • RonnieAcosta

0 0%
  • scorge

5 50.00%
  • Anthis

5 50.00%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 683 Posts
    Follows
    Following

COW #346: The Arachnids - VOTING!

COW #346: The Arachnids - VOTING!

VOTING IS NOW OPEN! Please vote for which entry you feel best adheres to the topic's brief and requirements, based on the concept's design, creativity, execution, etc!
    If you have submitted an entry to this thread please refrain from voting for your own entries. I will deduct your vote from your entry if you do so.
    In the event of a multi-vote round please avoid voting for more than 3 or 4 entries. Votes won't be deducted if you do so, but keep in mind your vote is essentially wasted if you decide to vote for every single entry.
    You may critique and comment on the submitted entries if you like. As long as you play nice!

Round Requirements:
    -Choose one of the following:
    Warrior Bug
    Tanker Bug
    Arkellian Sand Beetle (Worker Bugs)
    Control Bug
    Brain Bug
    -Keep in mind their insectoid appearances and their respective roles within the colonies
    -This is a redesign round, so you must make the design your own and not just the bugs drawn in your style

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rob Powell; March 28th, 2015 at 11:13 PM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Starship-Troopers-V1-1.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  616.9 KBName:  EXP.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  508.9 KBName:  TEP.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  118.8 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 436 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: scorge

Concept: Warrior Bug

Since the initial battle on Klendathu, some 75 years ago, the bugs have shown a high rate of evolution, turning into even more vicious and terrifying killing machines. There is no better example than the warrior bugs, who have almost doubled in size and strength, while adding even more weapons to their already devastating arsenal of dismembering devices. It is also believed that the intelligence and sanity of the Warrior bugs has balanced to the point of being the biggest threat the Federation has ever seen. The human race's days are numbered now that this evolution has taken place.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,726 Times in 708 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Anthis

Concept: Arach Tanker Bug

Description: The tanker bug strain fulfils the role of armoured support within the Arachnid ranks. The tanker is relatively slow but heavily armoured. Its claws and pincers are mostly specialized for digging, though they are also effective against troopers and their vehicles. Underground, the tanker can grind the rocky planet soil into smaller pieces which are then carried away by he worker class arachnids. The extensive tunnelling systems allow arachnids to move behind their enemies ranks.

Name:  Cow346_arachtank.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  280.7 KB

Last edited by Anthis; March 28th, 2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: added info

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Half an hour before the deadline....I may give a grace period after the deadline but once the poll is up that will be all....

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New topic has been posted and the poll is now up! A little disappointed with the limited turn out for this round, especially thinking that Starship Troopers redesigns would attract a larger crowd...however each entry submitted is excellent! My vote went to scorge as he seems to just dominate COW these days...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,726 Times in 708 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    RonnieAcosta - Nice work! I like how the head has a real 'alien' touch, it's not just a big insect. I also like the clear distinction between the hard shell surface, and the organic muscular parts. Good to see some orthographic views as well, along with details on how the jaws work. I did exactly the same this round! My orthos are in the WIP thread. I'm not sure how I feel about the perfectly square carapace. Geometric shapes like those are hard to find in nature. Also, the sharp legs probably make it hard to walk. Also, nice touch on the 'sandy' look. Fits the desert-like planets of the movie.

Scorge
    - Got my vote. Nice job on the action and perspective. Id say the head and torso part is really well done. That's not easy to pull off. I think the arachnid to the left is not quite matching in quality, but I'll forgive you for that ;P. My critique is mostly on the six walking legs (I'd say they're too thin and too small to be functional, taking into account the creatures' size) and the colour/texture. The completely reddish-brown carapace could use some variation (remember the original movie where the bugs had bright markings). I tend to make the same mistake. Cool creatures in films/games/nature always seem much more varied in terms of colour and texture. So mostly design critique, I guess.

I've been absent for a while but I'll try and join more often. Starting with the next round (once this flu passes...).

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

• 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook