Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Dark surrealism and other madness 2015

Hi folks!

I've been coming to an fro to conceptart since forever, this account is from 2004, and I have vaugue memories of having an older account as well. So I'm pretty old here I'd guess.
    Haven't been active for quite some time though, I'll put the blame on me not being a low-life anymore and actually having a day-job (not anything against being low-life though, them years had their charm ).
    I've put some weight on me shoulders for this year and used my new years resolution all in the name of art! 1 sketch per day all year long. Been holding that promise to, so I thought this would be the perfect time to reaquaint myself with the conceptart community since it have given me many cherished moments in the past. I'll start with posting yesterdays sketch, and with some luck I'll keep it going till new year!

As per usual, comments and critique is most welcome!

Name:  DSC_0002.JPG
Views: 1502
Size:  423.3 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Been working a lot on blocking in shapes due to my recent adventures into figure/gesture sketching, so I think todays sketch is using this some, my back is slowly turning into something better (after being ouchy for a couple of days), but my central balance point is way off, feel somewhat like a penguin.

Here's todays sketch.
    Name:  628-DSC_0001.JPG
Views: 805
Size:  224.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gridur; March 14th, 2015 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Downsizing image

Thanks

72/365 - Shapes I

Finally weekend, and boy am I a big pile of tired! Today's sketch continues to explore shapes and the separation of these. A bit to sterile for my taste but something to improve upon. Hope to get gritty and do a lot of drawing and sketching the following days!

Oh, and I'm going to downsize my images some, 1200px isn't always everyones cup of tea! Maybe I'll use those when I have landscape thingies to post.

Name:  631-DSC_0001.JPG
Views: 797
Size:  238.2 KB

Thanks

73/365 - Shapes II

Trying out shapes in a new way, getting the whole face blocked into a specific shape and putting a twist on it, low on ideas this weekend, but it'll come soon enough!

Working a lot behind the scenes with my figure sketching as well, I might post a couple of these in the future, need more time for administration of these things, right now I'm just trying to let it flow

Name:  634-DSC_0002.JPG
Views: 802
Size:  242.4 KB

Thanks

74/365 - Wormpriest

Wanted to draw a cool cat with a hat, Mr.Wormpriest seemed to be a perfect fit.

Name:  637-DSC_0001.JPG
Views: 811
Size:  234.8 KB

Tomorrow I'm off to my girlfriend, and that means I'll do a digital sketch, bringing my ol' wacom!

Critique and comments are welcome as per usual!

Thanks
    Really like your stile! i think you could benefit a lot from some human head proportion/anatomy studies because you do a lot of humanoid head like creatures. I think that to add style and change something you must know it very well, and as you are mixing the human head shape with other stuff... Well, it's just the way I think! Keep up the awesome work and if you could check my sketchbook it would be awesome.

Thanks

75/365 - From Beyond IX

Was to lazy to post yesterdays sketch, so t'day will hopefully end up in two posts, starting with the late one now!

As said in the last post I went digital, more an experiment in color and blending rather than figurative exercise, would love to do some sort of scene with the same technique:

Name:  640-daily75.png
Views: 798
Size:  586.5 KB

caiowcxs: Thanks for the pointers, and indeed I would need to work more on my proportions both when it comes to facial features and whole figures. I'm sketching a lot of figures behind the scene these days and hope to share some of these soon. And when it comes to faces I really need to work on my basic planes, I think my recent renderings have been to stuck on finding those planes that I've forgotten to get the proportions in place, and being of the surreal type of artist I do grant myself some artistic freedom as I don't want them to look all to human, or real! Thanks for the line and I'll be sure to drop by your sketchbook as well! Cheerz!

And as always, comments and critz are welcome!

Thanks

76/365 - Punisher

Todays sketch is my entry to this months sketch theater that has the theme "The Avengers", The punisher isn't one of the usual stock, but he's made an apperence in the comic books at least, so I hope it'll do, I used a novel format to emphasize on the comic side of things!

Name:  643-DSC_0001.JPG
Views: 794
Size:  131.1 KB
    Now it's time for my beaut sleep! Cheerioz!

Thanks

77/365 - Figure Study

Today I decided to put my figure sketching to the test with a more detailed sketch, first out one in charcoal, this one I see somewhat as a failure, I put to much time into it and loosed the gesture in the process. Need to learn when to quit.
    Name:  646-DSC_0002.JPG
Views: 776
Size:  178.9 KB

The second one I liked more, this one has some tricky forth shortening, and I think I nailed it quite good. And first time in a while that I've done a longer sketch with graphite!
    Name:  649-DSC_0003.JPG
Views: 769
Size:  180.0 KB

Tomorrow it's digital time again! I think I'll have to explore more into blending like the last piece, but with a more detailed scene!
    That's all for t'day! Comments and Critz is welcome as always! Cheerioz!

Thanks
    great stuff so far! post #7 reminds me of nosferatu zodd from berserk
    Sketchbook:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240697

Deviant Art:
    http://n0n7.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4wzz0t

Blog:
    http://ddurante.blogspot.com/

Video Portfolio:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-VqUMybNTs

Instagram:
    http://instagram.com/images0segami/
    "I am obsessed with the process of creation"-Zdzislaw Beksinski

"Art is never finished, only abandoned"-Leonardo da Vinci

"Fear is the mind-killer"-Frank Herbert

Thanks
    I'm not very good at painting but I can say that I like the colors and the way you blended them with the background, very cool.
    I've cought myself looking at the punisher for more time than you'd have thought hahahaha. Your style is very enjoyable and with lots of things to see that don't come to me at the first time I look at it. What did you use to do it? Charcoal?
    About the gestures, I don't see the first one as a fail, the gesture simply got lost in so many details. I suggest that, after a session of 30 or 45s gesture drawing you go and do these more detailed ones, the gesture won't get lost, trust me. I really enjoy the second one, some tricky foreshortening indeed! I think you may've forgotten the foot of the foreshortened leg (as far as I can see, it should appear behind the other leg), and I can't understand the second arm very well, i may have to look at it a little bit more. Keep going with those gestures and, even on the more detailed ones don't give a lot of emphasis to the anatomy, is a gesture drawing above all other things!

Thanks

78/365 - Ifrit

Todays sketch is a further experimental piece like the last digital piece. Used a figure sketch that I did a couple of days ago as base for this one.
    Name:  652-daily78.png
Views: 745
Size:  389.3 KB

Comments and critz welcome as usual! Cheerz!

N0N: Hey! Thanks for the drop-by, and yeah, I had to google that 'cus I wasn't aware of the character, but I can definitely see resemblance there! Cheers!

caiowcxs: Hey! Thanks for the fine words, previously I've worked pretty much with maximum of 3 blendmodes while doing digital paintings, but now I have started exploring and experimenting with other modes as well, works great to get a more vivid feel in the end results, but I still got a lot of learning to do, it's hard at this stage to replicate a style that I've previously made.
    And Thanks for the kind words on the punisher! And yeah, that's charcoal! Been my main medium for quite some time now, but I feel it in my bones that I want to switch soon, to graphite or maybe ink! The future will tell!
    I've done a load of 60s gesture drawings this last week, I think at least 20 a day, but soon I need to start doing 30s ones as well, just need to get my lines a bit more confident hehe, just like the tip I gave to you, I'm working on that as well!
    Thanks for the stop-by! Cheerz!

Thanks

79-80, catching up

Heya folks!

Been really lazy this weekend and just watched a lot of Hannibal episodes instead of drawing stuff, I've been sketching some, but not anything remarkable to show for, so now that the week has started I'm putting in second gear and will be doing double features for a couple of days, starting with these:
    Name:  655-DSC_0002.JPG
Views: 721
Size:  210.0 KB
    79/365 - From Beyond IX
    This series of portraits and the like is the most prominent of my year so far, they are more for play, but also an journey of exploration. Trying to find something special and dark using the human face as base.

Name:  658-DSC_0003.JPG
Views: 735
Size:  233.4 KB
    80/365 - RavenDeathCult IV
    This series is somewhat more free floating, for this one I wanted to go straight for the gesture, throwing anatomy and form out the window, being free and just find an expression in the flow of the figure.

That's all for t'day! I hope to keep up with double sketches for a couple of days to catch up with current schedule, after that I can concentrate more on my figure studies! Hope to show you guys some of that later.
    Cheerioz!

Thanks

81/365 - RavenDeathCult V

Got back to doing a lot of figure sketches t'day, took most of my artsy time, so todays sketch is a real quickie, trying to work on the outline on this one, used an earlier figure sketch as base.
    Name:  661-DSC_0001.JPG
Views: 730
Size:  193.2 KB

Critz n' comments welcome as always!

Thanks

Forest Troll

Been on the lazy side with my artsy stuffs lately for various reasons. But now I need to kick in second gear and do a lot of concept art and ingame graphics.
    First up is a portrait for the basic unit, the forest troll, I will digitalize this and make a unit button of him and see if it works out.
    The game is a Tower Defense game where you try to stop the christians from building a church in your forest, as the church bells are hurtful for your very soul.

Name:  664-DSC_0001.JPG
Views: 707
Size:  361.1 KB

I hope to be able to show you guys more of this in the near future!
    Cheers for now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast