Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

photography thread

i was hoping we could start a thread where people could post their photography. either photos for personal expression or for reference.

of course it would need to be understood that all photos were property of the artist and not to be used by others unless otherwise stated.

here are some of mine. just for fun.

oh, and it would be great to discuss various photographic technique, lighting, film, digital, how to go about finding models etc.

jon

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    firealarm 2

Thanks
    firealarm 3

Thanks
    Great idea - but why not putting it into the reference section?

Jester
    Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks

because...

this isnt reference...this is personal photography.

leon bonnat!

Thanks

foster

hey i am a photography nut so this is a really cool thread to have started.

just curious but what type of camera did you use, what film speed, what aperature setting, shutter speed, and lens did you use on these pictures. Last do you develope the photos yourself or have it processed at a certain place. if so what place? Hope that was not to many questions, just a shutterbug looking for insight to the photo methodology.
    "the earth speaks to all of us, and if you listen you can understand it."
    Uncle Pom

Thanks
    Great idea foster, Ive become very interested in photography as of late, so Im very into this =D
    MolvaDo stole the questions to you right outta my mouth =P But all I really care to know is what camera you use, what films you use most, and whether you develop on your own.
    I have a minolta maxxum 5, and im poor so i just use whatever the cheapest fuji or kodak color neg film I can find =)..and I dont develop my own film yet, but Im saving up the 40 or so bucks to develop my own BW film..but i got no way of making prints cuz due to some "creative differences" between me and the teacher that is in charge of photography at school, i am not allowed to use the darkroom =\.

Also, a question to anyone and everyone : Who are you favorite photographers?
    For me, I love Robert Frank (though I cant get my hands on The Americans), Edward Weston, Ansel Adams (of course =P), and many others..
    btw- there are some fairly good photographers who submit work to www.deviantart.com , so I suggest you check that out if your interested =)

maybe ill upload some photos later too =)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Looks like I'm not the only one photographing interesting rusty objects. I have tons of photos but I can't post them because I don't wanna leech too much on itchi's server and they are 400k each which also hurts my modem. I've upped a small selection tho.

The hard sunlight makes it hard to take good pictures. These are mostly machinery ref.

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/photo/arm1.jpg
    http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/photo/engine2.jpg
    http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/photo/reararm1.jpg
    http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/photo/wagonrearside2.jpg

---

I also took some photos of insects by holding a magnifying lens in front of the camera. Very experimental.

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/photo/ant.jpg
    http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/photo/wasp1.jpg

I took a pic of the moon too thru a telescope at 60x but I misplaced the file it seems.

---

Below are some small pics I made to demonstrate certain phenomenas (for a tutorial not yet finished).

photography thread

photography thread

photography thread

photography thread
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; January 23rd, 2003 at 06:15 PM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Great idea foster. I really like your firealarm pic.

prometheus> I like your bug pics the most. I'm going to try that out.

*runs to get his camera!*
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Yay, and we got another photographer up in here =D
    Interesting shots Prometheus, and Im looking forward to your "tutorial" =)
    And foster, I really liked your photos too..very good texture captures, the lighting was perfect.

Oh, and I know this is super trendy, but if anyone hasnt tried this, you should really experiment with putting anything you can find on either an old UV filter, a blank glass filter, or just some saranwrap rubberbanded on your lens and taking shots through it.
    The most common is to use Vaseline, as it can give you a soft focus filter effect..and if you do have a glass filter or plate you can use, try putting one of those circular bandaids in the center and put the vaseline, peanut butter, glue, or whatever around it..you can create some nifty spot filter-esque effects that way =)
    I would hope everyone would know this already, but just as a disclaimer..dont put ANYTHING directly on your lens...and have a UV filter on your camera whenever at all possible!

and if your on the east coast (near NYC), buy from B&H photo..theyre cheap, reliable, and its an awesome store in NYC..I urge anyone in the area that hasnt checked it out to do so immediately =)
    Last edited by amphex; January 23rd, 2003 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks for starting this thread Jon!

I fished out a couple from the depths of some of my desk drawers...some of you might recognize that a few of the shots were taken at the Ringling Museum in Sarasota, FL.

photography thread

photography thread

photography thread

photography thread
    Last edited by Smeagol71; January 29th, 2003 at 08:19 PM.
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Thanks

Thanks
    photography thread
    photography thread
    photography thread

and a manip i really like..:
    photography thread

Thanks
    photography thread
    photography thread
    photography thread

@Amphex: i love the first and last photos. very delicate colours !
    @smeagol: beautiful !
    -Alex Gering

Thanks
    These are two stills from two movies that my crew and myself shot.

This is from a short called "Sins of the blind"

photography thread

Sorry it looks stretched...we shot for widescreen. Looks really pixelated too...sorry bout that.

This is a still from a test that we did...we wanted to do advanced rotoscoping so we filmed a lightsaber movie (we knew these 3 guys who were freaks over star wars so they did some choreography yadda yadda...they took it way more serious than we did hehe)

photography thread

Sorry not really still pictures...but moving pictures:confused:
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; January 24th, 2003 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks
    I like to go to the zoo, usually with my camera and my sketchbook. I work with a Minolta Dynax SPxi (more than 10 years old by now) and my favourite objectives are my 80-300mm zoom and my 28-50mm.

photography thread

photography thread

photography thread

photography thread

photography thread

photography thread

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    cool beans!

i am very much an amateur. most of my photography is in the studio getting reference for paintings but there has been a growing need in me to take photos for photos sake. i think dave mckean opened this up for me.

i used my nikon 990 digital for the fire alarm pics. i know, i know, it's a glorified point and shoot with a not so good lens. i am saving up for the canon that has interchangeable lenses. that way you can spend the money if you want for a professional optics. it has 6 megapixels of resolution and all that you could ask for in manual control of your shots.

when i took the fire alarm pics i had it on auto. the manual controls did not seem to behave the way i expected and i kept getting exposure problems. what i do to compensate for this is take an exposure from a darker or lighter area (depending on what i want to achieve) by holding the shutter button half way down. this locks that exposure setting. then i move over to my shot.

so.... as you can see i started this thread in hopes that i will get a real education from you people, i need it!

i love what i have seen so far.

amphex wow! help me out!

smeagol, those are nice. good color and composition.

mindcandyman, those are great! they are photos in this forum. i love the still from the "the sins of the blind" great choice and very intriguing lighting. i would love to see more of this from you.

Prometheus, you are another that i need to take me by the hand and teach me. your experiments are cool. the bug pictures rock! i will have to try this also.

jrr, are you sure you are not already a professional photographer. the values, compositions and the choices you made are beautiful! i love black and white but these would hold up strong in color as well.

jester, those are amazing! i mean you got right in there with the lion, snuggled and got some awesome shots.

kaini. nice pics. fun and experimental.

jon

the attached are small sculptures that i did for fun or ref. but the shots have a certain appeal to me. also i re-cropped in photoshop and tweaked the levels. i am not a purist.

Thanks
    mister mean 1

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    amphex...your true talents have been exposed. VERY NICE.

Keep these going guys...I will take some shots too...but in the meantime...feed this thread. If it takes off we can add a photography forum area when we simplify the others soon.

j

Thanks
    Hey Jon I can bring the full version when I come up if you want. It's better on surround sound though...you have surround sound?

Thanks
    Yah, keep the photos coming guys, I would love to see a photography sub-forum open up here!

And Jon (I hope you dont mind me calling you by your first name): I assume your talking about the Canon D60? If so, you may or may not now but it was recently discontinued, so youll probably be able to get it for cheaper soon enough =D!
    But then again, you may want to watch out for what Canon is gonna come out with next...
    But..if it were me, I would go for a traditional camera. Of course there are so many pros and cons for both digital and traditional, but you already have a digital, and if your willing to spend the 2k for the DSLR, why not go for a hasselblad (if your willing to spend alot of money, you could even get a digital back), or just spring for an average (maybe even manual?) SLR and pack up on some nice lenses, some filters, and maybe even developing supplies?
    But this is just all what I would do if I somehow got my hands on 2000 bucks =), and go for the DSLR if its what you want.
    Also, your sculpture shots are awesome..maybe its just cause your a god at sculpting! The second one looks amazingly realistic! If it wasnt for the cut-off in the background, I really could have believed that was a real person wearing makeup!
    On the first one, the low DOF is kind of distracting but I like the composition and lighting..its a fairly good abstract shot. I dont know how much flexibility your camera offers, or if you do this already, but you should try experimenting with different apertures and compositions with any shot you take, since you have a digital cam and your not wasting any film.

Kaini : The first one is an interesting long exposure...maybe next time do some experiments with different colors and maybe even different films (unless your using digital of course)? And the third shot is just awesome..great work =) The colors are lovely and warm, and the patterns and DOF work perfectly..very well done. The second one, however, seems fairly bland and uninteresting to me..no offense to you. There is no object of real interest in the piece, especially as the sunset is really nothing special..From my short time of interest in photography, Ive learned the hard way not to waste preciously expensive (=P) film on sunsets that you can see every day.
    Anyways..keep up the good work =D.

Jester : I wish I had a zoo near me, Id love to take some pictures of animals..and youve done a really good job. I especially like the first and 3rd shots..though the lighting is a bit harsh, they really caught my eye..well done =)
    What film did you use for those?

Keep showing more stuff everyone..even though this is a concept art site, I think a Photography section would be a nice addition. =D

Thanks
    jon: they're black and white photos i printed way back in highschool. i totally loved printing my own photographs.
    haven't done any of that since sophomore year of college.

here's a few goofy snapshots using the ole digicam.
    photography thread
    photography thread
    photography thread

Thanks
    amphex - well, it was a frosty cold and clear day at noontime - thus the harsh light. Normally I just use "normal" films, i.e. Fuji or Kodak films, it depends on whether I take the photos "at home" (= negative) or on holidays (= positive), but mostly at 100, max. of 200 DIN (sorry, don't know the ASA right now).

foster - thanks, I consider these as some of my best but I have some really nice tiger shots, too, which I'll post next week.

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Haha Jrr : that second one with the dinosaur is awesome =D Where was that?

Thanks
    Cmon..someone has to have some more photos to upload here =)

Thanks
    Here are some more still frames from that same short film "The Sins of the Blind"

photography thread

photography thread

photography thread

it's something at least right amphex? heheh

Thanks
    amphex, thanks for all the info. it is the kind of thing i need to hear. i just hope i do not pester you too much with questions.

mindcandyman, these are beautiful! of course in that sad and scary kind of way. but i am really enjoying them.

jrr, i love the dinosaur shot as well. very luscious and nice perspective. separate the pics nest time so that i can get a better feel for them.

this is the start of what i hope to be a series of shots.

jon

Thanks
    shot 2

Thanks
    Hi all ! Thx Jon for showing me that wonderful thread.
    There's so much to say about art and photography. I've read the thread and found some really interesting questions that could be debated like digital Vs traditional, photomanipulations, what lens, what filters should I use, what about shooting in a studio... I hope that the CA crew will give us a subcategory dedicated to photo. 'would be fair ! :chug:

Thanks
    amphex,

i wanted to say thanks again for all the advice and comments on my photography. i just re-read what you wrote and i can tell that this forum will be of tremendous importance to me. what camera do you use? send some more pics when you can.

lovingrope, excellent! send in the stuff. i am glad you are excited as well to be here. i was afraid that you did not want to participate when i did not see you pop up but if i was to step back and think about it i only know on tenth of what is going on around here myself.

jon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast