Thanks

Question To Illustrate, or Animate?

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice on what I should be going into. I am an Art Student who is really trying to figure out what I want to do with it. I have completed a foundation art course, and am now stuck trying to figure out what to specialize in, or what course to take now.

I have basically narrowed my option down to Illustration or Animation. And what I want to know is how interchangabe do you think they really are? I am not sure what I want to do, but I want to learn skills that could carry me through either proffession either making cartoons, storyboards, or possibly providing illustrations and concept art.

If you were me, what would you take, or at least head into. What would be least limiting/most flexible, and give you the best overall usefull art training for your dollar?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Good question. I would say animation over illustration as far as where to spend your educational dollars. No, I'm not just saying this because I'm an animator, but because of what you will learn in school. In animation, you will not only learn the principles of drawing and anatomy, but you will also learn how to move objects in space, via a 3d or 2d world. Fundamentals are a must. I think that once you get a taste for what animation itself is really like, you can decide from there whether you still want to illustrate or not. Be warned, animation is harcore. Not alot of time for extra things other than the "assignment" at hand. Hope I'm making sense. Good luck.

Thanks
    if it's a toss up for ya i'd probably pick animation ( assuming it was a good program with traditional and 3d training). it seems to me to be much better for crossover potential. i also see much more entry level jobs for animators. i am an illustrator by the way. i work with a guy that majored in animation he is an illustrator here and fit in just fine. ... boy i feel like such a trator to my major....

Thanks
    Hmm, very interesting. Thanks for the advice so far, does for friend regret not going to school for Illustration since he seems to have switched proffesions?

What core skills do you think are most important for an illustrator? And which for an Animator? Also what type of jobs do you think you could get, or would be most suited for at the end of your training?

I'm interested in hearing what advice there is out there. And to the guys that have replied thank you very much, your helping me decide what to do with myself.

Thanks
    as for the animator who works here as an illustrator i don't think he had his heart set on animation and was happy getting a job somewhere. my main point on mentioning him is the crossover potential. it seems to me an animator who can draw and paint and is familiar with the 3d tools and 2d animation principals seems to be the most flexable and well adapted prospect for getting a job in the entertainment industry.

for both majors i would say the most important core skill is drawing. great drawings are the basis for great illustrations and animations. from there the majors diverge greatly.

i'd love to see sombody argue the other side here for illustration. ok the big factor is the school you pick. and how the programs are taylored. i hear some illustration majors are taylored to the entertainment industry. mine was geared to the publishing industry. Me, i don't regret picking illustration i wanted to draw and paint traditionally but i also asspire to do traditional work. i'd like to land a job at hallmark. in the future i'd like to work on my masters in painting and teach at some point down the road. so the illustration program at my school works well for my goals. There i wanted someone to defend illustration and i did!

good luck to ya in whatever you pick. compare the programs, look at the classes you will take. pick the one you are most passionate about.

steven

Thanks
    I'd go with animation also. If it's a good animation program, you should be getting plenty of foundation classes, as well as either a class or two on pre-vis (storyboarding, etc) or at least some experience within a class in doing that stuff. I think it would be easier for an animator to become an illustrator if they should decide to change directions, as opposed to the other way around. I actually have heard of more than a few animators who have gone into illustration, and even comics because of the sequential nature of animation. A career as a graphic novelist or a storyboard artist is probably a good middle ground for someone who isn't sure if they'd rather be in animation or illustration.

Thanks
    I studied Illustration, but I took a few basic 2-D animation classes. This made me a little more marketable, I believe, and helped me get hired when I finished school. It would have been nice to know a little 3-D, but I picked up what I needed to know on the job.

If you choose animation with the thought that you can also do illustration, I would give you this advice: Learn how to paint, either traditionally or digitally. Learn how to compose a picture. I see animators that are great with the pencil and creating movement, but they don't understand color or even shading.

And no matter which you choose, take lots of figure drawing classes.

emily

Thanks
    One more thing..

It's sort of been hinted at in a few posts, but I'll just reinforce the idea that you become more marketable with each skill you pick up. Everyone has a title, but I really doubt that many people who have managed to find steady work are really limited to that title on the job. And alot of people end up shifting into something they enjoy more than what they actually chose as a specialization, so it can only help to be knowledgable in a variety of areas.

Pick something to really focus on, but don't be blind to other related areas that you might end up in later on, or things that just might enhance your ability to work in your chosen specialization.

Thanks
    Wow, thanks for all the great advice guys. You are really opening my eyes to what the whole industry is like, and the need to be able to do alot of different things. I have alot to think about I guess, and schools to research.