Thanks

Question Is it wrong to swear???

Hello
    write this post because I feel very being torn apart by americans if I use swear words. (If I write something on their blog or video). as there are many art / design students who see their videos or blogs. And it would not be good if these art students see profanity

but then I think that swearing is a natural part of, for example, an Advertising Agency or studio, or I'm wrong?

What do you think about swearing.

Is it normal?

Should we make self-censorship in order not to offend anyone with profanity?

What are your experiences with the swear at work or when there are customers?
    Last edited by Martin J Intarat; March 9th, 2015 at 05:41 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    If you want to swear is one thing but don't post it to someone elses feed. Thats wrong, keep it on your own posts or blog or videos. As for work, the owner sets the policy, I've worked in some studios where we swore like sailors and others if you swore you had to put a dollar in a jar they kept for such offenders
    Last edited by dpaint; March 8th, 2015 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks
    Now it's not because I swear like a sailor on their blog or videos. one example would be: "I agree with what is said, but it's also bullshit when people do it to others." But I Respect full that they do not want it, and I also edit my post later. but on contemporary I also find it strange that the is to protect the art / design students. but it is probably a cultural thing.

Swearing jar, an expensive acquaintance
    That Which Does Not Kill Us Makes Us Stranger

Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Can we move this %$#%$^%$!** thread to the Lounge, please?
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Even in Denmark it varies a lot what you can get away with!

Look at Martin Thorborg's videos, he's swearing like there's no tomorrow and have to use up all the swearing for the rest of his life time in every video he makes.
    With him, you can probably get away with any language as long as it contains swearing! If you came in like that to a job interview at my cousin's design company, you probably wouldn't even get past introducing yourself :p

There's also a difference to "insider"-environment and the "external image" to a company, and often that's something you'll have to get a vibe about once you are there.
    At least I don't care much for censoring myself out of respect to overly sensitive art students, but I do out of respect for the owner of the videos/blogs.

Thanks
    @eezacque Is the Lounge is still active, looks abandoned and death! there are 7 listings. which usually tends to be 10,000

@Trixtar Yes Martin Thorborg, I have been followed him for many years, and I think that he seems more genuine with all his swearing, more relaxed.
    Do not know if you've heard of Gary Vaynerchuk, but here you can talk about one that swear

Yes it's probably not the best idea to swear like a sailor to a job interview.
    But I think more of, if I write a sentence. with perhaps 200 words in and I out of these 200 words, and I write one swearing. it is enough to be offended.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 4,637 Posts
    It's all about context. If it's appropriate, a swear word, can underline a thought process very effectively, but there are people on the internet who are prepared to be offended by the smallest thing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin J Intarat View Post
    @eezacque Is the Lounge is still active, looks abandoned and death! there are 7 listings. which usually tends to be 10,000
    The Lounge is not what it used to be; neither is the rest of conceptart.org. However, that does not make a thread about swearing an Art Discussion.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    I'm from Australia so anything goes around here pretty much. All across the swearing spectrum

Thanks
    yep