Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Thumbs up Sketchbook Project 3... It's ON!

Ok kids... here we go again. The Concept Sketchbook Project is back in action and we're officially taking names/addresses.

Sketchbook Project 3... It's ON!

Quick project recap for those unfamiliar with what has happened so far
    The idea behind this project is this: A sketchbook is sent via mail to a person. That person adds some work to the book and then ships it off to another person. This process repeats as the book travels a pre-determined route and finally returns to it's place of origin where we have yet to decide what happens to it next (give it away, sell it and donate the case to CA, etc. I'm open to ideas). The result is a one-of-a-kind book that contains the work of a dozen or more artists from around the USA.

This has been tried twice before, without success. I also know of another attempt that was made by some people at deviant art, also without success. The cards are certainly stacked against us, but Iím convinced that this can (and will) work.

The book specifics
    1. The book will be sent to 15 people (at most), and will remain in the U.S. If things go well and the book actually makes it all the way through the list, I'll gladly start another book that will go international. But after the way the first two books have gone, I'd like to keep it simple and just see if we can get one book to go through a US list.

Once I have about 12 or 14 people signed up,the 3rd book will be shipped and a list for a fourth book will begin. There are no plans for a fifth book at this time.

edited October 5, 2004
    2. The book we will be using is a Cachet Classic Sketch Book, 75lb. "heavyweight" drawing paper, 11x14, 75 pages (thats 75 actual sheets of paper). This is slightly bigger than the 9x12 book used last time, and the only reason is that for some reason my local art store doesn't have the 9x12 book anymore. I personally like the bigger book anyway, and I think alot of people around here prefer to work big.

3. Each person will be allowed to use 4 full sheets, front and back. You are not required to complete 4 pages, but that is the limit and I hope everyone does at lease two or three pages. Again, by pages I mean actual sheets of paper.

The medium you choose is basically up to you, but keep in mind things like bleeding, smudging, etc. Some things are obviously not good for use in sketchbooks, so just use your judgement. In the past, people have been successful with using most of the standard concept artists' tools like pencil, pen, ink, marker, gouache, etc. When using wet media, be sure to protect other peoples' work from your own. Be sure to protect the page below the one you are working on if you are using a medium that bleeds through.

The Rules
    Because of the previous failed attempts at this project, a few new rules/procedures have been suggested by other people, and Iíve decided to implement them for this book.

1. No deviations from the list of participants will be allowed. You cannot give the book to a friend, even if he/she swears they will just draw something quick and get it back to you tomorrow. This is probably the number one reason these books go missing. Direct person-to-person exchanges of the book between people on the list are ok (and encouraged), but only within people on the list.

2. When shipping the book, you must ship it using a trackable method. By trackable I mean some method of shipping that assigns a number to a package and allows it to be tracked via phone or web, and requires a signature for delivery. FedEx, UPS, and USPS Certified Mail are the preferred methods.

3. Protect your work. Spray it, cover it, whatever. Do your best to keep your chosen media from rubbing/smearing off onto other peopleís work. Use extra sheets of paper in between pages to prevent bleeding onto blank pages. Do not tear pages our of the book, even if you hate what you added to it. Do not alter other peoplesí work in the book.

4. This project will take a while to complete, and it could be months before you get your shot at the book. Be aware that the book could be coming your way in a few weeks or a few months, but whenever it arrives you will need to add your work to it and keep it moving. This project lives and dies based on the amount of time each person takes to pass on the book. Other books, both here and books done by others, have fallen victim to one or two people keeping a book for months and as a result, the project dies. People forget about it and lose interest due to lack of updates and progress. If you sign up to receive the book, all I ask is that you are aware of this and do your best to avoid having the book in your posession for too long.

I know it sounds like Iím preaching here, but trust me, this stuff needs to be spelled out.

Signing up
    All current books are no longer taking signups. If any spots open up, I'll let everyone know. If you have already sent in your info and are not on a list, I will hold your info for a possible future book. If you have not signed up at all already, please do not send me your info. Sign-ups will only be taken through the website, and I'll let everyone know when sign-ups become active again.

More info will be coming soon, and additional rules and ideas for this project are always welcome. The ultimate goal here is to just get this damn thing to finally work, and anything that you can suggest to increase the likelihood of this happening is much appreciated.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped out with this so far, and thanks in advance to everyone who will be helping in the near future to see that this project is finally successful.
    Last edited by helix7; February 14th, 2005 at 02:12 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    bump for info updates...

Thanks
    As I said in the other thread I am still interested in this.

Would love to see this work.

-toasty

Thanks
    This is a cool idea. If it's still on, pm me and I'll send the required info.

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts

Thanks
    Sent email....

Thanks
    I'll post the list so far when I get home tonight. It isn't full yet, so if you've e-mailed me, you're on the list for the next book.

Keep those names/addresses coming...

Thanks
    The List (FINAL)

This is the final list, in the order that the book will travel.

Bryan (aka bRyAn)
    Long Island City, NY

Brendan (aka bwkeough)
    New Haven, CT

Noah
    Ardmore, PA

Monty (aka Skank)
    Anchorage, AK

Laura (aka Nova)
    Bothell, WA

Troy (aka evildisco)
    Pasadena, CA

Lauren (aka injection223)
    San Gabriel, CA

Michael (aka jetpack42)
    Encinitas, CA

Sean (aka Inpho)
    Spanish Fork, UT

Josh (aka underdevelopedbrain)
    Richardson, Texas

Thomas (aka Xpose)
    Salem, AR

Andrew (aka Toaster)
    Sarasota, FL

Jonathan (aka Cyrus)
    Athens, GA
    Last edited by helix7; November 10th, 2004 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks
    I want in!
    My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    it might be cool if you had everyone take pictures of what they did in it, so we can all keep up on the book, even if we're not a part of it.

This sounds awesome, I hope it works out.
    Adventure Dog: my work

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by squirpy
    it might be cool if you had everyone take pictures of what they did in it, so we can all keep up on the book, even if we're not a part of it.
    That was the plan for the first two books, and its still the plan with this one. If possible I'd like to get scans of the pages each person worked on while the book is going around, and it would also be really cool if people took photos of the book while they have it. Even if its something simple like a shot of the book in your studio/room/office/whatever, or you actually working in the book send it in.

At the end, I plan on making a sort of "digital" (online) version of the book, possibly done in Flash so you can actually turn pages like you would if you were holding the actual book. So regardless of where the book ends up, there will always be an online version of it available.

Its also a good idea to scan your work just so that you have a copy of it. In the event that the book does go missing (which we all hope doesn't happen, but it could) then at least you still have a copy of the work you did.

Thanks
    I'm interested! sent you a pm (I'm at work atm)
    bee-dubya-keo
    neoēkeo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by helix7
    That was the plan for the first two books, and its still the plan with this one. If possible I'd like to get scans of the pages each person worked on while the book is going around, and it would also be really cool if people took photos of the book while they have it.
    yeah, I meant while it was still going around.

Glad to know that we'll get to see it at some point at least.
    Adventure Dog: my work

Thanks
    I need 3 or 4 more names and then I'll ship the next book...

Thanks
    New info about the book added to original post. See "The book specifics" for more details about the actual book being used. Also, maximum pages allowed per person has been changed to 4.

I also purchased a good box to ship the book in. I'll post more details and shipping recommendations once I begin packing the book up to be sent out.

Thanks
    I have one or two more names to add to the list, so if you've sent in your info and are not on the list posted above, you are on the list for this book. I just haven't had a chance lately to update. If we can get two or three more people signed up over the weekend, I'll ship the book on Monday. Any names after that will go on the list for the 4th book.

Thanks
    bump..

still need a couple more names...

Thanks
    Email sent

Thanks
    Inpho: I didn't get it... Could you send it again or PM it to me? Thanks...

Thanks
    Alright kids. The list is now full and it looks like we're ready to get this thing going. I'll put together the final list and post it soon, as well as update the website and get the book ready for shipping. I also will be posting recommended shipping methods and packaging suggestions, and I would like to get my contribution to the book in there as well (I know I should have done it already, and I will take care of it over the weekend). So that means the book could be in motion on Monday.

As mentioned, the list isn't organized yet, but I do know that Bryan will be thefirst person to receive the book.

If you haven't signed up to participate in this project but you would like to, please send me your info for the next list. I will not be waiting for the current book to complete the journey before sending out another book, so as soon as the next list fills up I'll get another book moving. I'm thinking about making the next book the "international" one, but I don't know much about international shipping. Anyone have any info? Is is difficult/expensive? Does it take a long time?

Thats all for now. Thanks to everyone who signed up. Here's to a successful and complete journey this time.

Thanks
    sweet, the list is full (did you get my email )

cheers everyone

Thanks
    Refresh our memories???

What happened to the first and second?????

-Joshua James

Thanks
    I just became a licensed bounty hunter yesterday.

If the book ends up missing...I'll find it.

You don't want to be the one responsible.

Thanks
    Everyone who has signed up at this point is on the list for book #3 (the next one going out).

theJames: The first and second books mysteriously disappeared. I don't know the details of how the first one got lost since I wasn't the organizer of that one. The second supposedly got lost in the mail.

Thanks
    CRAP. Sorry guys. I'm so way behind with things lately that I haven't been able to get the site updated and the book ready. I know.. not setting a very good example for how this project needs to go. But fortunately I'm on the brink of wrapping up the projects that have kept me at work for ungodly hours, and I've very roughly sketched out a page that I will add to the book.

I'll also get the recipient list posted tonight. Bryan, you're first, and I'll shoot you an e-mail later about getting the book to you, but basically I can mail it or we can meet up. I'm working at East 26th right by Madison Sq Park these days, so if you're going to be in the neighborhood later this week, or have a better idea, let me know.

Again, sorry for the delays in getting this off the ground. I know it's a shitty way to start things, but I hope everyone is still into this and we can make this crazy ass idea finally work out.

Thanks
    UPDATE

FINAL LIST, in the actual order that the book will travel.

EDIT: Website updated. Link in my sig...
    Last edited by helix7; November 10th, 2004 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks
    awesome! lets do it!

Thanks
    Notes on Shipping

Below you will see the book itself and the box that it will be traveling in for now. I expect this box to get the crap kicked out of it, so if you get the book and notice that the box isn't holding up well, feel free to replace it with another box. It doesn't have to be the exact same one. Just something sturdy that will protect the contents.

Also note the extra space inside the box. It would be a good idea to stuff paper, bubble wrap, or some other item in these spaces to keep the book from moving around inside the box. Use your best judgement. If you have any doubt about the safety of the book, re-pack it.

In the pictures above you'll see a red roll of packing tape. This is the minimum recommended packing tape. Feel free to use a more industrial type of tape if you have it. Don't use scotch tape, masking tape, etc.

Make sure that the box is securly taped shut. I recommend putting tape around the box in a few places, and covering the entire thing with brown packaging paper (kraft paper i believe it is also called, and brown paper grocery bags work well). Wrap it up like it was gift wrapped, and it should stay together well.

If you print out an address label, keep in mind that most printers use an ink that is not waterproof/smearproof. Cover the label with clear tape. This may not matter though if you ship via UPS or FedEx since they generate a seperate label. And by the way, UPS and FedEx are the prefered shipping methods. If you do not wish to use these or similar shipping companies, you must use a service that provides a tracking number. Please forward tracking numbers to me when you ship so that I know where the book is and can post updates on the website.

The address that you will ship to will be forwarded to you via email when you have the book. If you get the book and haven't received the address of the next person in line, email me.

Feel free to draw on the box, put stickers on the box, whatever. It would be cool if the box sort of became a traveling work of art itself, but who knows if this is even possible considering the abuse it will take over the next few months. I'll leave that one up to you guys. Also, sign the inside front cover of the book, as well as your individual pages (if you want to).

Thanks
    It's ON!

We're officially underway. I will be meeting up with Bryan, hopefully later today, to pass the book off to him. I scanned the one page I worked on (I know.. one page is weak, I'll try to add another page or two when I get the book back), and I'll post it asap. Two recommendations so far. 1. Don't get too caught up doing one page. It's a sketchbook, and it's cool if things look rough. Quality is a consideration, but so is quantity, and I wish I would have just went crazy on a few pages instead of focusing on one page and ending up with a piece that I'm not so happy with anyway. 2. Feel free to vary your styles, content, whatever. This project is called Concept Sketchbook Project, but that doesn't mean you should feel limited to concept art as defined by what we generally see on these forums. If you really feel like tagging up a whole page with a pink marker, go for it. If you want to write words/lyrics/poems/etc on a page, do it. I hope to see some kind of drawing on every page, but don't feel like you have to conform to any kind of standard. Have fun with it and do whatever comes to mind.

Quick reminder: As mentioned in the first post, keep the book moving and stick to the list of people who signed up. Don't give the book to anyone not on the list. This is one of the ways that we are likely to lose the book, and I know that none of you would deliberatly lose the book, but if it ends up in the hands of someone who isn't on the list, it is out of my ability to keep track of it.

Also, feel free to pass the book off in person if that works for you. I'm meeting up with Bryan to give him the book, and I think that two of the California people on the list are within a few miles of each other. So if you are inclined to meet up, do it. Every time we keep the book out of the hands of UPS, that's one less chance of it getting lost.

One last thing: Keep an eye on the website (link in my signature). That will be the best way to keep up with where the book is and get an idea as to when you will be getting the book. If you think you might receive the book at a bad time (during final exams, when you're not at the address you submitted, etc) please let me know so we can make adjustments.

I think that's it for now. Thanks again for everyone who signed up, and for those who haven't signed up yet, send in your info for the 4th book. A seperate thread for that book will be started soon.

Thanks
    sup peeps...

I got the book..i'll be rocking this out in about a week...if anything i'll post here if i'm delayed....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast