Art: Broken

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Broken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Broken

I haven't posted anything in a long time here cuz I have joined a concept art team thats been keeping me pretty busy.

This piece is very personal - its about the automated response your body can throw you into when you are going thru generalized anexiety and panic attacks. Saying that anxiety makes you feel powerless is a huge understatement. What amazed me about it was that your mind can actually cause your body physical pain that doesn't really exist. Creepy right?

Im not crazy or alone in this. It has become something of an epidemic in the modern age based on the fact that we still react biochemically to stimuli as if we need to fight or run to survive. The reaction is there even though the stresses of modern life are very different from our origin.

Anyway crits welcome.

Broken

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats nice man.

first thing that jumped out was the blade cutting thru his hsoulder looks bent, not because of perspective, but because of the light on it.

secondly the deep shadow under his chin makes his haed look disjointed, and it makes the neck and shoulder anatomy look more off than it actually is.

its an emotional piece, but its a bit cliche.... i know its personal so this critique is more from an illustrative point of view, but a more creative take on that feeling of internal pain might come across with more impact.

when i see blades, hooks etc, it just reminds me of typical horror images and my brain kinda switches off to the emotional impact.

try to push the bar on that if you feel like taking htis further

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is very nice and very informative, my mom has that right now too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent input Form. This is a painting that has kinda been in my head for a while, not necessarily the best interpretation, its just what I have felt. I am planning on doing a series of these images and I will attempt to do some without the "horror" angle : )

Anxiety totally transforms your life and people that have not experienced it never could image what it feels like becuase outwardly you dont appear as if anything is wrong. That is definately the worst part of the whole. Well that and thinking that you must be crazy : p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is a interesting image, i sort of like it because its not the typical concpet art stuff usually on display here.

Crit wise, I would work on the guys flesh more, especially the skin tones and lighting of the figure, both which could be varied more. Some nice cast shadows would help solidify things, I think its just lit too evenly. Try a more dramatic light source...it would work well with such a intense scene.

Some emotion on the face might be nice too, he looks a little too 'neutral' for all that is going on....maybe this was the intent. It might be nice to see a hint of an eye as well. I like the loose BG.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very...uhh interesting peice you got there .

I get a pretty nasty feeling from looking at it but I guess that's what you were going for so GJ!

I know it's a personal image but I'm gona crit you content anyway. I don't like the text. Art is a visual language and when you throw text in it it it destroys what your trying to express. When I read, "hate" the text is telling me what to think and trapping my mind. Now I have to think that it's a key element for the peice. When I read that stuff and look at a dead guy I think it's about racism or a social critique or whatever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh Christ this stuff reminds me of torture , , its well done if a bit raw in places but the way it hits me is not rather dull , i know this is the effect desired but its made to look common place by you. i feel im looking at a corpse not a emotional presentation. still its well done , just my feelings to it

john Mac

nothing to lose so go for it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the great feedback. for the record he is not dead but showing off his scars and the flat emotion on the face is symbolic of the fact that no one knows that your suffering.

As far as the words go I understand your point but I dont think that it has stopped Ahley wood, Phil Hale or Aleksi. I am trying trying to incorporate the acid style doodles that I used to do all through high school : )

I honestly dont know if I will revisit this image, but I do plan doing some work along these lines. Thanks again for the help, its really priceless to see how other people view something for the first time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My word

That's interseting seven.
    You seem to carry a lot of anger with you. That's not a bad
    thing at all. You seem to use it well. I do have to agree about
    maybe working a bit more on the skin tones. The torso just looks a
    little on the flat side.
    nice (if you know what I mean) picture all the same, a bit macabre, not
    easy to look at.

Dan.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    long suffering tends to make one angry - i am just learning to harness its power for good. well, maybe : )

I am glad that people have a hard time looking at this because its hard to carry around something that eats you alive from the inside out and no one sees it. Thats exactly what I was trying to get across.

As far as crits I don't really get what people are saying about the skin tones. I like the texture a lot. Does it need more mass? Maybe adjusting the light source will help. Anyone?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what they mean is varying the hue (colour) of the skin - at least thats what skin tones *usually* means,

in this case i think its a combination of facturs - you have hue variation, but its kind of exaggerated/out of place - i see the blues and the greens, but i dont really see why they are there or what has caused them. read up on proms colour and light tips in the ';tips and tutorials' forum (subforum of lifedrawing+learning). It talks about shadow saturation, warm/cool hues, and all that sort of stuff which will bump your piece to the next level....

combiuned with that is an overall flatness across his torso - it looks like a contrast-bumped image with that black black shadow under the chin, and then flat value across the torso. Take time to logically and analytically decide where the light source will hit the form, now that you have it established.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.